Quantcast

Is This Good "Clinical Experience"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am in a clinical psychology masters program right now but I am thinking about trying to jump to the PsyD program at my school, in about a year, which you can do. One of the weaknesses in my application would be little clinical experience. I focused more on research as an undergrad.

Anyway, I have become quite interested in sleep disorders lately and might want to work with that population someday. Now we have quite a few sleep clinics in my area and I would like to find some sort of job or something at one in a few months, if it is feasible. My question is, if I did have a year or so of experience working at such a place, would that be good clinical experience for a PsyD application or is it too specific? Are they looking for more experience in a general mental health setting?

erg923

Regional Clinical Officer, Centene Corporation
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think any legtitmate clinical contact is good prior to the doctorate. As long as you are working directy with those with psych problems in some capacity, im sure its good enough. However, how can your program be masters in clinical psychology without offering you a practicum?

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think any legtitmate clinical contact is good prior to the doctorate. As long as you are working directy with those with psych problems in some capacity, im sure its good enough. However, how can your program be masters in clinical psychology without offering you a practicum?

There is a practicum. I don't start that for two years though and it would be faster to apply to the PsyD next year and start that program in two years, rather than completing the masters and then going for the PsyD. The latter would take about a year longer when all is said and done.