Is this good enough for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gingerbread22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker that's always been too embarrassed to post. I'll try to keep this super short!

As of right now: Cgpa 3.4
Sgpa 3.4
Planning to take the MCAT in April and have been PTing around 32, hoping that will increase with many more months of studying!

Anyways, here's my dilemma
Gpa started super low freshman year (<3.0) but I got serious and was able to bring it to 3.4.
However, last spring (which was my junior year, I'm a senior now) I failed physics and got a D in chem as well as an Econ class due to unexpected family sickness and death that I didn't handle well. My gpa for that semester was a 1.8. To be honest I just didn't even take the final exams because I was at home devastated. I am looking into a retroactive withdrawal, but still

I'm really just concerned that if I apply this summer for fall 2014 entrance I will be seen as too immature after this semester. Even if I ace everything this year, is that convincing enough or should I do a post bacc?

Also, this is a dumb question but anyways. I've only taken 9 elective classes that count for science for a total of 29 credits. 3 of these classes were lower level. I have not taken biochem, microbio, immunology, etc and I'm afraid this will hurt me. Will DO schools care about this?

Thanks all for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers are fine; and no, we don't care that you don't have those courses.
quit fussing

Sgpa 3.4

Also, this is a dumb question but anyways. I've only taken 9 elective classes that count for science for a total of 29 credits. 3 of these classes were lower level. I have not taken biochem, microbio, immunology, etc and I'm afraid this will hurt me. Will DO schools care about this?

Thanks all for your time![/QUOTE]

Hi all, long time lurker that's always been too embarrassed to post. I'll try to keep this super short!

Sgpa 3.4
Planning to take the MCAT in April and have been PTing around 32, hoping that will increase with many more months of studying!

Anyways, here's my dilemma
Gpa started super low freshman year (<3.0) but I got serious and was able to bring it to 3.4.
However, last spring (which was my junior year, I'm a senior now) I failed physics and got a D in chem as well as an Econ class due to unexpected family sickness and death that I didn't handle well. My gpa for that semester was a 1.8. To be honest I just didn't even take the final exams because I was at home devastated. I am looking into a retroactive withdrawal, but still

I'm really just concerned that if I apply this summer for fall 2014 entrance I will be seen as too immature after this semester. Even if I ace everything this year, is that convincing enough or should I do a post bacc?

Thanks all for your time!
Be sure to retake Physics, Econ, and Chem to take advantage of grade replacement before you apply. Some high grades in upper-level Bio and/or Biochem are always helpful.