1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

is this good enough?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by singh12, Feb 27, 2007.

1. singh12

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    3.95 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years of research (neuroscience)- are these stats competitive for med school? how much volunteering, shadowing is needed?

2. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    not good enough. sorry bud, with those stats you would need about 2500 shadowing hours and a 4 years of volunteer work. ever think of going into business? just a thought...........:idea:

3. premed2007

premed2007 MS-IV
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    um yeah those stats are competative. Get some shadowing and volunteering in and you should be good.

4. berkeleyboy

berkeleyboy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Hmmm....I don't want to be sarcastic but you have a near perfect gpa and a solid mcat score. If you're smart/dilligent enough to get those grades/mcat than you should know that you'll be more than fine getting into a competitive medical school program.

5. DocYuki

DocYuki The Gamer Student
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Sounds like you've got your numbers covered well. The rest is up to the "subjective" portion of the application process:

-interviews
    -letters of recommendation
    -personal essay
    -clinical volunteering

and so on. Also, the school that you are applying from may impact your application depending on its difficulty and rep. with the medical schools. Overall, it looks like you're a tough applicant! Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Daydreamer2008

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    oh geez.................:sleep:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Without clinical experience you are not yet done. Most schools basically consider that a prereq for med school, because it is felt that you cannot make a rational decision that you want to become a physician without some direct exposure to the field. Good clinical experience involves that in which you have direct contact with patients, and can see the physician-patient interactions. Most schools will not consider research to be clinical enough, notwithstanding whatever patient interaction you may have with that. There is no set amount, but frankly, if you are already to the point that you have done two years of research, completed your prereqs and taken the MCAT, you are coming very late to the game on this. Better get cracking soon, or it will look like an afterthought and not fly with adcoms.

8. koennen

koennen Lend Me An Ear
    10+ Year Member

Of course he knows that. He's just trolling. We're all supposed to tell him what great stats he has and how he'll have no trouble getting in somewhere yadda yadda yadda. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

9. beaverfetus

beaverfetus poo-tee-weet?
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have not found this to be true.

10. AttackNME

AttackNME Podiatrist
    Podiatrist 10+ Year Member

seems like spam to me :p

11. ssquared

ssquared Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Seriously. Why stop at posting on an internet forum? These people should just go around and whack others with copies of their transcripts and MCAT scores, so we get it in our heads that they're better than us. :thumbdown:

12. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You obviously didn't interview at some of the places I did. I've had multiple deans tell me that their ideal applicant will have both some clinical and some research experience, but that the former is far more important.

13. INdyMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think I'd eat a poop hotdog to have those stats.

14. eikenhein

eikenhein Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What? You got a 3.95 GPA and only 33 MCAT? Obviously, your school must be one of those grade inflating ones.

15. Daydreamer2008

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ehehehe. ouch. Damn them ivy league grade inflators! I went to a REAL UC school where 0.1% got A's ;)

jk OP, don't worry u will be FINE

16. Stolenspatulas

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Leave the OP alone. With those stats you'll get into a medschool, but maybe not the med school you are hoping for. your ECs, LORs, etc are more important when determining your fate. Your mcat is slightly on the lower end for top 20 schools but that doesnt mean you cant get in, it just means the rest of your app has to be that much better.... then again, your gpa is higher than the average at all top 20 schools. im not sure if there is a volunteering/shadowing amount that schools look for? just do what you like to do.

17. gsmithers68

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thats what I have and I am doing just fine this app cycle. PM me for more details.

18. nutster

nutster Rarrr!
    5+ Year Member

Better break out the flame-******ant suit for this one

19. future_dr_house

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  20. stixx

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow you people sure can be bitter/jealous :laugh:

It's a decent question. Some people think if they have those stats they don't need any clinical experience which is obviously bull

21. DaiCa86

2+ Year Member

This is a sick flow chart!!!

22. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

i'm going to depart a little bit and say that with those numbers, you'll definately get INTERVIEWS, but there's no guarantee that any of them will turn into acceptances.

23. rickthetwinkie

rickthetwinkie Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would agree. Though I didn't quite apply as widely as I should, I was in a little bit of the same situation the OP is in. I did end up getting in. I was a little scared for a while, though.