is this good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singh12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
3.95 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years of research (neuroscience)- are these stats competitive for med school? how much volunteering, shadowing is needed?

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.95 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years of research (neuroscience)- are these stats competitive for med school? how much volunteering, shadowing is needed?

not good enough. sorry bud, with those stats you would need about 2500 shadowing hours and a 4 years of volunteer work. ever think of going into business? just a thought...........:idea:

premed2007

MS-IV
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
um yeah those stats are competative. Get some shadowing and volunteering in and you should be good.

berkeleyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Hmmm....I don't want to be sarcastic but you have a near perfect gpa and a solid mcat score. If you're smart/dilligent enough to get those grades/mcat than you should know that you'll be more than fine getting into a competitive medical school program.

DocYuki

The Gamer Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got your numbers covered well. The rest is up to the "subjective" portion of the application process:

-interviews
-letters of recommendation
-personal essay
-clinical volunteering

and so on. Also, the school that you are applying from may impact your application depending on its difficulty and rep. with the medical schools. Overall, it looks like you're a tough applicant! Good luck!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Without clinical experience you are not yet done. Most schools basically consider that a prereq for med school, because it is felt that you cannot make a rational decision that you want to become a physician without some direct exposure to the field. Good clinical experience involves that in which you have direct contact with patients, and can see the physician-patient interactions. Most schools will not consider research to be clinical enough, notwithstanding whatever patient interaction you may have with that. There is no set amount, but frankly, if you are already to the point that you have done two years of research, completed your prereqs and taken the MCAT, you are coming very late to the game on this. Better get cracking soon, or it will look like an afterthought and not fly with adcoms.

koennen

Lend Me An Ear
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmmm....I don't want to be sarcastic but you have a near perfect gpa and a solid mcat score. If you're smart/dilligent enough to get those grades/mcat than you should know that you'll be more than fine getting into a competitive medical school program.

Of course he knows that. He's just trolling. We're all supposed to tell him what great stats he has and how he'll have no trouble getting in somewhere yadda yadda yadda. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

ssquared

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
oh geez.................:sleep:

Seriously. Why stop at posting on an internet forum? These people should just go around and whack others with copies of their transcripts and MCAT scores, so we get it in our heads that they're better than us. :thumbdown:

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not found this to be true.

You obviously didn't interview at some of the places I did. I've had multiple deans tell me that their ideal applicant will have both some clinical and some research experience, but that the former is far more important.

INdyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I'd eat a poop hotdog to have those stats.

Members don't see this ad :)

Daydreamer2008

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What? You got a 3.95 GPA and only 33 MCAT? Obviously, your school must be one of those grade inflating ones.

ehehehe. ouch. Damn them ivy league grade inflators! I went to a REAL UC school where 0.1% got A's ;)

jk OP, don't worry u will be FINE

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Leave the OP alone. With those stats you'll get into a medschool, but maybe not the med school you are hoping for. your ECs, LORs, etc are more important when determining your fate. Your mcat is slightly on the lower end for top 20 schools but that doesnt mean you cant get in, it just means the rest of your app has to be that much better.... then again, your gpa is higher than the average at all top 20 schools. im not sure if there is a volunteering/shadowing amount that schools look for? just do what you like to do.

gsmithers68

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

thats what I have and I am doing just fine this app cycle. PM me for more details.

nutster

Rarrr!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Better break out the flame-******ant suit for this one

future_dr_house

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
DKMsguide2.jpg

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course he knows that. He's just trolling. We're all supposed to tell him what great stats he has and how he'll have no trouble getting in somewhere yadda yadda yadda. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Wow you people sure can be bitter/jealous :laugh:

It's a decent question. Some people think if they have those stats they don't need any clinical experience which is obviously bull

etf

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm going to depart a little bit and say that with those numbers, you'll definately get INTERVIEWS, but there's no guarantee that any of them will turn into acceptances.

rickthetwinkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm going to depart a little bit and say that with those numbers, you'll definately get INTERVIEWS, but there's no guarantee that any of them will turn into acceptances.

I would agree. Though I didn't quite apply as widely as I should, I was in a little bit of the same situation the OP is in. I did end up getting in. I was a little scared for a while, though.