• The site has been updated!

If you see any bugs, please report them in this thread.

is this good enough?

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
3.95 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years of research (neuroscience)- are these stats competitive for med school? how much volunteering, shadowing is needed?

not good enough. sorry bud, with those stats you would need about 2500 shadowing hours and a 4 years of volunteer work. ever think of going into business? just a thought...........:idea:

About the Ads

berkeleyboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2002
Phoenix AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
3.95 GPA, 33 MCAT, 2 years of research (neuroscience)- are these stats competitive for med school? how much volunteering, shadowing is needed?

Hmmm....I don't want to be sarcastic but you have a near perfect gpa and a solid mcat score. If you're smart/dilligent enough to get those grades/mcat than you should know that you'll be more than fine getting into a competitive medical school program.

DocYuki

The Gamer Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Sounds like you've got your numbers covered well. The rest is up to the "subjective" portion of the application process:

-interviews
-letters of recommendation
-personal essay
-clinical volunteering

and so on. Also, the school that you are applying from may impact your application depending on its difficulty and rep. with the medical schools. Overall, it looks like you're a tough applicant! Good luck!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Without clinical experience you are not yet done. Most schools basically consider that a prereq for med school, because it is felt that you cannot make a rational decision that you want to become a physician without some direct exposure to the field. Good clinical experience involves that in which you have direct contact with patients, and can see the physician-patient interactions. Most schools will not consider research to be clinical enough, notwithstanding whatever patient interaction you may have with that. There is no set amount, but frankly, if you are already to the point that you have done two years of research, completed your prereqs and taken the MCAT, you are coming very late to the game on this. Better get cracking soon, or it will look like an afterthought and not fly with adcoms.

koennen

Lend Me An Ear
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
Hmmm....I don't want to be sarcastic but you have a near perfect gpa and a solid mcat score. If you're smart/dilligent enough to get those grades/mcat than you should know that you'll be more than fine getting into a competitive medical school program.

Of course he knows that. He's just trolling. We're all supposed to tell him what great stats he has and how he'll have no trouble getting in somewhere yadda yadda yadda. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

About the Ads

coffeebythelake

Supreme Commander Anesthesiologist
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2006
Cleveland
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

What? You got a 3.95 GPA and only 33 MCAT? Obviously, your school must be one of those grade inflating ones.

Stolenspatulas

10+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Leave the OP alone. With those stats you'll get into a medschool, but maybe not the med school you are hoping for. your ECs, LORs, etc are more important when determining your fate. Your mcat is slightly on the lower end for top 20 schools but that doesnt mean you cant get in, it just means the rest of your app has to be that much better.... then again, your gpa is higher than the average at all top 20 schools. im not sure if there is a volunteering/shadowing amount that schools look for? just do what you like to do.

future_dr_house

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
DKMsguide2.jpg

stixx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Of course he knows that. He's just trolling. We're all supposed to tell him what great stats he has and how he'll have no trouble getting in somewhere yadda yadda yadda. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Wow you people sure can be bitter/jealous :laugh:

It's a decent question. Some people think if they have those stats they don't need any clinical experience which is obviously bull

rickthetwinkie

10+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i'm going to depart a little bit and say that with those numbers, you'll definately get INTERVIEWS, but there's no guarantee that any of them will turn into acceptances.

I would agree. Though I didn't quite apply as widely as I should, I was in a little bit of the same situation the OP is in. I did end up getting in. I was a little scared for a while, though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.