Is this good for non-medical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer in a pharmacy every week, and I do enjoy it. I started off doing food pantry volunteering, but gravitated towards the pharmacy because I liked the pace and activities better. I'm concerned that adcoms will see this as a "Plan B" type thing, as if I'm reserving pharmacy as a 2nd option for a career. I could do the food pantry instead, I just don't enjoy it as much.

Members don't see this ad.

I currently volunteer in a pharmacy every week, and I do enjoy it. I started off doing food pantry volunteering, but gravitated towards the pharmacy because I liked the way the "customers" there smelled ever-so-much better. I'm concerned that adcoms will see this as a "Plan B" type thing, as if I'm reserving pharmacy as a 2nd option for a career. I could do the food pantry instead, I just don't enjoy it as much.

There. Fixed it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The point of clinical experience is to understand what a physician does. Working in a pharmacy obviously won't give you that experience.

No, this is my non medical volunteering (although it is medically related); I volunteer in a hospital too.

There. Fixed it for you.

No, but I see I should post this elsewhere as it's going nowhere fast.

Basically, the answer is that "no." This is not "good" non-medical volunteering. It's also not good clinical experience. So, while you enjoy it, it isn't going to make your application very awesome.

Try to find volunteering you enjoy that fits more in the "community service" category, and less in this no-man's land between useless and clinical.

You don't like the soup kitchen, no big deal. Try habitat, or any of the other gajillion non-medical volunteer opportunities out there.

Basically, the answer is that "no." This is not "good" non-medical volunteering. It's also not good clinical experience. So, while you enjoy it, it isn't going to make your application very awesome.

Try to find volunteering you enjoy that fits more in the "community service" category, and less in this no-man's land between useless and clinical.

You don't like the soup kitchen, no big deal. Try habitat, or any of the other gajillion non-medical volunteer opportunities out there.

It's a non profit center that provides medication for those who can't afford it; I should have mentioned that.

They are both at the same place. But I made a new thread so I'll do it there.