Is this good for non-medical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently volunteer in a pharmacy every week, and I do enjoy it. It's at a non-profit center that provides food and medication for those who can not afford it. I started off doing food pantry volunteering, but gravitated towards the pharmacy because I liked the pace and activities better. I'm concerned that adcoms will see this as a "Plan B" type thing, as if I'm reserving pharmacy as a 2nd option for a career. I could do the food pantry instead, I just don't enjoy it as much.

(I cross-posted, sorry!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Leer,
Adcoms won't necessarily see it as a plan B sort of thing. You could be creative and call it something besides a "Pharmacy" if you're worried about it. Call it instead a low-income medication distribution service (or whatever).

What do you do there, and why do you enjoy it more?

Last edited:
Hi Leer, (If you could edit your post's title to remove my name, I'd appreciate it.)

Adcoms won't necessarily see it as a plan B sort of thing. You could be creative and call it something besides a "Pharmacy" if you're worried about it. Call it instead a low-income medication distribution service (or whatever).

What do you do there, and why do you enjoy it more?

Thanks for responding! While there, I mainly act as a middle man between the recipient and the pharmacist. My main job is to give people their medications, as well as address any questions they have that don't require a pharmacist, but I do a number of other tasks as well (phone calls, count pills, etc.)

I found the food pantry to be just as gratifying, however it's very slow paced; usually only 2-3 people are seen per hour due to paperwork, etc.

Do you think I should maybe alternate between the two, to show my overall commitment to community service, or will they understand?

I mainly act as a middle man between the recipient and the pharmacist.
My main job is to give people their medications, as well as address any questions they have that don't require a pharmacist, but I do a number of other tasks as well (phone calls, count pills, etc.)

I found the food pantry to be just as gratifying, however it's very slow paced; usually only 2-3 people are seen per hour due to paperwork, etc.

Do you think I should maybe alternate between the two, to show my overall commitment to community service, or will they understand?
Here is the thing: the portion of your time spent with the patient is actually clinical experience. And a part of it isn't. It wouldn't be enough to stand on its own, but it nicely augments your hospital volunteering (mentioned elsewhere). I think it is a great experience since it would be clinically relevant even if you never spoke to a patient. It serves the poor. I'm not going to tell you that you need to work in the food pantry also when you don't enjoy it. I think you're fine doing what you're doing along with the more formal patient-oriented experience you are participating in.