Is this just another Opthomology scare tactic or should I really believe this person

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.wannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Out of nowhere I recieved this private message. Note: I am going to Puerto Rico in august for my first year. Please comment to this..This person has 0 posts on here.

Dear DRWANNABE,
Don't do it! Really. That place is out of control.
Fortunately the Accreditation committee will publish the results for their next 5 year term...or not... so in a few weeks they may not even be accredited. Check out the Accreditation Council on optometric Education.
There are many reasons why you should not go to that school.
1. If you are a non Puerto Rican girl, an Asian, or a non local African American you WILL be treated differently. The hierarchy in that school is... White men > Puerto Rican Men > Puerto Rican Women > Sub human remainders.
2. If you are a woman, you WILL be hit on by either the Ocular Motility professor, the Peds Professor, or the Ophthalmic Optics professor. But not the clinicians most of them are gay. And yes the sexual favors do let you pass ALL the classes ( other professors will turn the other way and not mess with that professor's playmate of the semester).
If you refuse sexual services I wish you the best of luck. That professor will make your stay a living hell and will have all the secretaries and the optician's assistant on you.
3. They are too lazy to write any lecture notes and more than half will lecture in spanish.
4. The peds professor will continuously throw it in your face that you only went to that school because you were to dumb to get into another school.
5. Most of your professors haven't passed and not even attempted to take the NBEO ... SO HOW DO YOU REALISTICLLY THINK YOU ARE GOING TO PASS THE BOARDS???
6. Yes it is accredited. Not because it is a good school but because it is a TERRITORY not a STATE. So they have lesser and easier quotas they have to meet to get approved. The catch is that when you take the NBEO to get back in the US you scores "get adjusted" with a 0.89 multiplied into your score so for IAUPR students you don't pass the boards with a 300 you need a 327x0.89 = to get a 300 ... HeHeHe....
Like we say, those of us who got dooped into this mess.... WELCOME TO PUERTO RICO !!!! And the joke is on you ... because you think you are saving a year by not waiting and applying to the other schools again next year but when and if you get out in 4 years (some people get out in 7 yrs, others if you are a girl will get isolated by one of the horn dog professors and failed alone that is one of that dirty professor’s trick it happens every other year or so) you still have to try the NBEO approx 10 times to pass each one. So you'll be spending about the next 4 years trying to pass the boards. And that isn't the only problem. If you make any move as an OD... such as going to conferences, ordering equiptment by phone, anything, for the REST OF YOUR LIFE YOU WILL BE ASKED WHERE YOU GRADUATED FROM and you will see the look of HORROR IN THEIR FACE when you say PUERTO RICO. If you apply for a job you will be given the tech application form. not the DO form.
SO SUMMARY: YOU WILL GET STABBED FROM ALL DIRECTIONS!!! ie… the Puerto Ricans, the Americans, Everybody.
SO JUST WAIT ANOTHER YEAR AND GO TO A NORMAL SCHOOL, ANY SCHOOL. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO.
AND FOR THOSE GRADUATES YOU MIGHT MEET ALONG THE WAY FROM THAT SCHOOL YOU MAY GET A SONG AND DANCE ON HOW "FUN" IT IS, HOW MUCH OF THE BEACH YOU WILL SEE, BLABLABLA... BUT IN REALITY NOBODY IS GOING TO RESPECT YOU IN THE END.
YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE TO ANY RESIDENCY PROGRAM YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN, OR IF YOU WANT TO APPLY FOR A VA HOSPITAL, WELL DREAM ON.....
JUST WAIT ONE MORE YEAR, DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, LIKE A TRIP TO VOSH, OR UNITE FOR SITE, WORK FOR AN OD THAT TEACHES!!!! NOT ALL OF THEM DO. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH ONE THAT DOESN'T.
If you want to learn spanish, take a class in spanish but people go in and out of theat school and don't know a lick of it.
PR students have already been advised in advance not to help the american students out by the PR clinicians/professors. There is certain resentment towards americans there.
If you want to learn Ocular Therapeutics that place isn't the place. There was a "hearing" in a court room and the opthalmologists were very aggressive and won their case. You can only use anasthetics & dialation drops, but be carefull, they are very stingy with those bottles and will throw a savage temper tantrum if you spent too much of it. They are out of control.
I hope the accreditation committee closes them down so I don't have to see more naive victims thinking they can go over there, it is A HORRID NIGHTMARE.

Good Luck
You'll Need it if you do go.
BECAUSE YOU WILL STILL BE A “WANNA BE”

Members don't see this ad.

Si, senor. Es la verdad. Puerto Rico es el retrete del mundo. Bueno suerte, mi amigo.

ohiostateboy said:
Si, senor. Es la verdad. Puerto Rico es el retrete del mundo. Bueno suerte, mi amigo.

wow i actually understood what you wrote. translation, "yes sir it is true. Puerto rico is the crap hole of the world. good luck my friend. sounds dangerous in puerto rico.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, what a scary email to receive only a couple of months before going to PR...I'm not sure what to think? Who is this person? Are they an optometry student? They do refer to an OD as a DO...
I don't know enough about the school or the area to comment...but I can see it must be very disconcerting...
:confused:

Dr.wannabe said:
Out of nowhere I recieved this private message. Note: I am going to Puerto Rico in august for my first year. Please comment to this..This person has 0 posts on here.

Dear DRWANNABE,
Fortunately the Accreditation committee will publish the results for their next 5 year term...or not... so in a few weeks they may not even be accredited. Check out the Accreditation Council on optometric Education.
1. If you are a non Puerto Rican girl, an Asian, or a non local African American you WILL be treated differently. The hierarchy in that school is... White men > Puerto Rican Men > Puerto Rican Women > Sub human remainders.
2. If you are a woman, you WILL be hit on by either the Ocular Motility professor, the Peds Professor, or the Ophthalmic Optics professor. But not the clinicians most of them are gay. And yes the sexual favors do let you pass ALL the classes ( other professors will turn the other way and not mess with that professor's playmate of the semester).
If you refuse sexual services I wish you the best of luck. That professor will make your stay a living hell and will have all the secretaries and the optician's assistant on you.
3. They are too lazy to write any lecture notes and more than half will lecture in spanish.
4. The peds professor will continuously throw it in your face that you only went to that school because you were to dumb to get into another school.
5. Most of your professors haven't passed and not even attempted to take the NBEO ... SO HOW DO YOU REALISTICLLY THINK YOU ARE GOING TO PASS THE BOARDS???
6. Yes it is accredited. Not because it is a good school but because it is a TERRITORY not a STATE. So they have lesser and easier quotas they have to meet to get approved. The catch is that when you take the NBEO to get back in the US you scores "get adjusted" with a 0.89 multiplied into your score so for IAUPR students you don't pass the boards with a 300 you need a 327x0.89 = to get a 300 ... HeHeHe....
Like we say, those of us who got dooped into this mess.... WELCOME TO PUERTO RICO !!!! And the joke is on you ... because you think you are saving a year by not waiting and applying to the other schools again next year but when and if you get out in 4 years (some people get out in 7 yrs, others if you are a girl will get isolated by one of the horn dog professors and failed alone that is one of that dirty professor’s trick it happens every other year or so) you still have to try the NBEO approx 10 times to pass each one. So you'll be spending about the next 4 years trying to pass the boards. And that isn't the only problem. If you make any move as an OD... such as going to conferences, ordering equiptment by phone, anything, for the REST OF YOUR LIFE YOU WILL BE ASKED WHERE YOU GRADUATED FROM and you will see the look of HORROR IN THEIR FACE when you say PUERTO RICO. If you apply for a job you will be given the tech application form. not the DO form.
SO SUMMARY: YOU WILL GET STABBED FROM ALL DIRECTIONS!!! ie… the Puerto Ricans, the Americans, Everybody.
SO JUST WAIT ANOTHER YEAR AND GO TO A NORMAL SCHOOL, ANY SCHOOL. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO.
AND FOR THOSE GRADUATES YOU MIGHT MEET ALONG THE WAY FROM THAT SCHOOL YOU MAY GET A SONG AND DANCE ON HOW "FUN" IT IS, HOW MUCH OF THE BEACH YOU WILL SEE, BLABLABLA... BUT IN REALITY NOBODY IS GOING TO RESPECT YOU IN THE END.
YOU CAN SAY GOODBYE TO ANY RESIDENCY PROGRAM YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN, OR IF YOU WANT TO APPLY FOR A VA HOSPITAL, WELL DREAM ON.....
JUST WAIT ONE MORE YEAR, DO SOMETHING PRODUCTIVE, LIKE A TRIP TO VOSH, OR UNITE FOR SITE, WORK FOR AN OD THAT TEACHES!!!! NOT ALL OF THEM DO. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME WITH ONE THAT DOESN'T.
If you want to learn spanish, take a class in spanish but people go in and out of theat school and don't know a lick of it.
PR students have already been advised in advance not to help the american students out by the PR clinicians/professors. There is certain resentment towards americans there.
If you want to learn Ocular Therapeutics that place isn't the place. There was a "hearing" in a court room and the opthalmologists were very aggressive and won their case. You can only use anasthetics & dialation drops, but be carefull, they are very stingy with those bottles and will throw a savage temper tantrum if you spent too much of it. They are out of control.
I hope the accreditation committee closes them down so I don't have to see more naive victims thinking they can go over there, it is A HORRID NIGHTMARE.

Good Luck

Dr.wannabe said:

Dear DRWANNABE,

Good Luck
Maddi
Hey Dr.wannabe, I think most of the stuffs he said were true. When I was shadowing, my OD rejected the applicant who graduated from PR, and he told me that the only reason why he didnt hire him is because he doesnt wanna get sued. In order words, Puerto Rican graduates are not well trained. I am sure people will look down on u as well if u graduated from PR. More importantly, I think they have a cast system as well. The question u have to ask urself is, "is it worth it?" remember u are investigating thousands of money. Even tho he said that PR might not get accredited, I dont agree with him. I dont think the professors can be sexual predators. If it is true, then it is really terrible. If u are not good in Spanish, u better not go there.
I hope that helps.

Hiho,

Isn't therez this OD that went to PR?? Hmm.hez quite well known, but I just forgot his name! -__-..he always gives his insight into discussion..hm..Dr. ..err..Matt or sumthing?

(Right,, xMATTODx)..why don't you guys just ask him?

Cheerz,

Katalio

Katalio said:
Hiho,

Isn't therez this OD that went to PR?? Hmm.hez quite well known, but I just forgot his name! -__-..he always gives his insight into discussion..hm..Dr. ..err..Matt or sumthing?

(Right,, xMATTODx)..why don't you guys just ask him?

Cheerz,

Katalio

I don't want to insult those that went to PR, but I sure didn't. I know of one guy who did. It took him 4 tries to pass part III of NBEO. Its only a sample of one so I'm sure its not representative.

Wow, that's quite a "heads up." My advice is for you to contact the accrediting bodies to find out if the Opt school has been put on warning status, is at risk of losing its accreditation, or if their are any law suits filed against the faculty/school. My understanding is a school can't lose their accreditation out of the blue, because they are told to address x,y,z issues within a certain time frame and if they don't then their accreditation can be pulled. Even if there are no formal complaints or a warning status on the school of opt, its still worrisome about the reputation, language barrier, societal issues, board passing rates, etc. I think most on this forum would agree that taking another year to beef up your application to US schools by volunteering or working in optometry and re-taking the OAT would be well worth it in the end. I think theres a blog somewhere about what you can do to improve your app for next year.

there was a guy in my class who transferred in from Puerto Rico after completing first year. UHCO accepted almost none of his credits and he had to start over as a first year. We had only one faculty member (low vision) who went to Puerto Rico and she's fabulous.. but she's also Cuban so she's fluent. I would think long and hard about going to PR if you're not a native speaker.

I would take most of your email not at face value... but definitely give it some consideration.

My grand scheme of things was to transfer after the first year. That way no time is lost. An optometrist friend had a classmate transfer from Puerto Rico after her second year. It's not that hard to transfer is it? I applied late and no schools would take my application. Well, except PR.

Dr.wannabe said:
My grand scheme of things was to transfer after the first year. That way no time is lost. An optometrist friend had a classmate transfer from Puerto Rico after her second year. It's not that hard to transfer is it? I applied late and no schools would take my application. Well, except PR.

I wouldn't go there even if that's the only school I got accepted because there are more bad things than good over there at PR. I think you should just hold on a year, work a bit and save some money, then apply early next year. Good luck to you either way you go.

according to the most recent report from 4/05...they have passed and still have accreditation and the next inspection is in 2011. I wish some people who have actually been there would respond to this thread. There is nothing like having your bags packed and ready to go, bought plane ticket and find these things out. I was thinking a year in the carribean would be great then come back to the main land. ****, i am in it deep now.....no pun to myself intended

Dr.wannabe said:
according to the most recent report from 4/05...they have passed and still have accreditation and the next inspection is in 2011. I wish some people who have actually been there would respond to this thread. There is nothing like having your bags packed and ready to go, bought plane ticket and find these things out. I was thinking a year in the carribean would be great then come back to the main land. ****, i am in it deep now.....no pun to myself intended
Trust ur instinct, do what u have to do. IT all depends on you. I hope u can make the right decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, let me set the record straight. First of all, I know this "maddi" chick, she is just an angry little girl. She has got so many lies in her post to you Dr.wannabe, that I am having a hard time finding where I want to begin. First of all they did just go through reaccreditation, as do all schools periodically, there were no negative findings and everything was found to be worthy of continuing accredited status. There never have been any negative findings on ANY of their periodic reviews of the school. There is no "caste" system there in the four years I was there NOT ONCE did I hear of any issues any students had with any professors, nor any rumors of any. That is just stupid whining. There are several professors that have not taken boards, that is true. It was not till about four years ago that to practice in PR that you had to pass boards, so they didn't take them. That’s not too hard to understand. Half the classes are in Spanish, that’s true. If you are too lazy (as in maddi's case) to learn Spanish, you will struggle a bit. Less than half the students in may class had ANY idea of how to speak Spanish when they started. You just will slowly learn. They won't force you to take Sunday classes or anything, you will just begin to pick it up. Class notes are provided in English if you prefer. Most lectures are given in a "PowerPoint" type of presentation, so I'm not sure what maddi's deal is. If you want copies of the presentation, you can always download them of get them at the library. Now this business with the boards, what the hell?? No! If you pass boards, YOU PASS!!! There is no "adjustment!! PPPUUULLEEEAASSS!!! That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I took boards and scored in the high 400s on all three parts. I subsequently did a residency at the Moran Eye Center, University of Utah, College of Medicine. During which I performed fundus photography, fluorescein angiographies and interpretation 10-20 times a week. Attended clinical rotations with ophthalmology residents including neurophthalmology, retina, glaucoma, oculoplastics, and cornea specialty clinics. Attended daily lectures and inpatient consults at the University of Utah Moran Eye Center Department of Ophthalmology. Fit 4-5 keratoconic patients EACH DAY. My first publication will be in the July issue of Optometric Management. I have NOBODY ask me what school I attended when I buy equipment or talk to drug reps. That is just stupid to think that after you graduate anyone even cares! The people that do ask me, and I tell them tell me how great they think is would be to have a bilingual optometric background. That is exactly why I went to PR. You will get the same education YOU would get anywhere else. That is, your education is what you make it. If you are content to just go to class and sleep, then cram the night before a test, you will get the same education at PCO as you will at PR. If you go home and study, go to class, blah, blah, blah, you will get the same education as well. The thing that PR will give you that NO OTHER school will, is the ability to do what you do in Spanish as well. This will allow you to be more marketable, a better provider in that you can provide to a population of patients that not many other ODs feel comfortable seeing due to language barriers, and by doing so you distinguish yourself from the other 500 graduating ODs that enter the job market that year. All this and you can still do what every other OD graduating will be able to do. In fact I got the job I have in large part to the residency I did, but also that I could speak Spanish and increase the patient population that we can see at our practice. In PR it is true that they do not have TPAs, but because the school is a “teaching facility” you do use them and are comfortable knowing which ones to use and when, again, I’m not sure why maddi has such a chip on her shoulder, but EVERY one of her claims are unfounded to say the least! I went there and if I had to do it over again, would do it in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know that was a REALLY long post, but I want to set the record straight.

Justin Holt
www.mountogdeneye.com
www.bountifulhillseye.com

P.S.- ohiostateboy, learn Spanish first dude!

I have a quick question for you guys: what is this "oPHTHalmology scare tactic" the OP was referring to? Just curious...

JR said:
I have a quick question for you guys: what is this "oPHTHalmology scare tactic" the OP was referring to? Just curious...

I have a feeling a horrible and tasteless debate is about to ensue. A word to the wise...keep your words to yourselves.

JR said:

I have no idea. I was wondering that myself.

"Opthamologist scare tactic" Well, there are alot of opthamologists out there that think OD's are second rate and really think poorly on the profession. If you are not aware of the turf battle, don't worry you'll get your chance to defend us. (legislatively speaking) Anyhoo, I have come across posts where opthamology people will speak negatively about various topics. Hence, the scare tactic.

Jchod, thank you so very much for speaking out after I contacted you. You have really set my mind at ease. I was going anyway but now I can go with a clear head. I can't thank you enough for sharing your ACTUAL EXPERIENCE with those of us going to PR. This is the info i needed to hear.

OMG.....excuse the typo "o" opthomologist :rolleyes:

This thread is posted to hear everyone's "words" about Puerto Rico. If you have a problem with people's opinions on the question stated, don't read it. I on the other hand want to hear'em. Unless you have been there or know some factual info...step aside

Dr.wannabe said:
OMG.....excuse the typo "o" opthomologist :rolleyes:
Dr.wannabe....I only do this so that this thread can get back to the original question about PR. The correct spelling is ophthalmologist. This issue came up on the OMD forum when a poster refused to spell it right. I have no idea why this bothers people so much, and I am sure your typo was an innocent mistake.

Hi... I am going to throw my two cents worth. I am a graduate of PR. I have also completed a residency program in the States and currently licensed to practice in the States: full scope. The School in PR is fully accredited by the ACOE and all graduates are eligible for licensure in any of the States and territories of the USA and Canada. BTW, PR IS part of the USA. It's political relation to the USA is like that of Washington D.C.: it is a commonwealth of the USA. This maddi person apparently is not content with PR. Apparently she spent 4 years having "fun in the sun" and not paying attention to any of the classes taught to her. As JCHOD says... your education is what you make of it. Apparently she has issues with the faculty and even her classmates. I honestly don't think she's well. I never had issues purchasing equipment or applying to licensure. The justification of a "formula" for PR NBEO scores is just ridiculous if not assnine. She just needs to justify her own poor performance in the Boards. For the time I had spent there, there were no allegations or investigations regarding any sexual harassment. These are all lies and libelous rumors. You WILL have fun in PR, but make the most of the education. In fact, I had better evaluations during my residency year at SUNY than my residency companions from ICO and SUNY. Again, you need to make the most of your education, because ultimately you are responsible to retain this knowledge and apply it to be the best doctor you can be for your patient's sake. JCHOD is right: the acquisition of conversational Spanish skills will make you more competent and more marketable than the rest of the OD's graduating from other Schools. Hispanics are on their way to become the largest minority in the States. You will have the advantage. Good luck in your studies. BTW, for people who do not live in PR and do not have direct knowledge of the School in PR, please refrain from passing judgement if you have not been there. It is irresponsible and this type of behavior should not be tolerated in a forum of future and current health care professionals.

well said, prod.....two thumbs up! :thumbup: :thumbup:

JR said:
That's it, I am going to start spelling A-ptometry with an "a" :laugh:
"Si, senor. Es la verdad. Puerto Rico es el retrete del mundo. Bueno suerte, mi amigo."
That is perfect Puerto Rican Spanish.
Well "Wanna be" good luck. I hope everything goes well.
In the very very rare event that it doesn't you can call the following lawyer in PR.
He specializes in that particular school so you can know the long history it has.
I hope you never have to need him.
Juan Moldez Rodriguez
787-754-1391

And as of Dr. Utah there.
Of, course he is one of the "pretty elites"...He also had a whole clan to help him type his reports, drive him back and forth, do his little lunch bags, his laundry , sounds "wanna be" is going alone.
If you say you have never heard of all the sexual advances that makes you A BIG LIAR, typical YOU would blame the victim.
and WHY ARE YOU IN A RESIDENCY IN 2005 when you graduated in 2003, took you 2 years to get admitted to a Residency? Why? People from normal schools get admitted right away.
And why are you still dreaming of going to med school? Still getting treated like a tech? Hmmm
I rest my case

maddi said:
And why are you still dreaming of going to med school? Still getting treated like a tech? Hmmm
I rest my case

Who's dreaming of going to med school? Did I miss something?
By the way, I'm so glad these ODs who went to PR clarified this whole issue...and I totally agree that ignorant people who know nothing about the place should have kept their mouths shut. They seem to have jumped into this forum with advice that wasn't founded in anything.

OMG!!!
I cannot believe that someone had the nerve to write that blatantly racist crap. I have faith that most SDN'rs are smart enough to distinguish between facts and garbage such as what the OP wrote.

If ANY of that were true you would be hearing about it all the time on SDN. So please people have enough common sense to know when someone is pulling your chain.

Dr Who

What racism? I am trying to prevent him from EXPERIENCING racism or sexism. And why you didn't see any posts about that school before is because they ban any website that tries to warn students. But now that they are accredited, they are not hounding the internet anymore. They are on easy street until 2010. They dump you right after the accreditors leave. If they cared about you and your image so much they would be pulling the plug right now as they usually do. Why do you think my original mail was private? I am very surprised this thread has gone as long as it has. but again proof that they don't care about you only about them (the institution, not the population as a whole).
And what's with the obsession with bashing Ophthalmologists? I simply stated a fact with the politics in PR. In the USA you will find an Ophthalmologist will be your best friend, your only friend, because the ODs will be treating you like you have the plague.
Let's make a scientific observation, who is giving Dr. Utah his $27,000 residential paycheck?
I rest my case. Again.

Maddi are you talking from personal experience?
I am currently in Puerto Rico, so when I speak i know what I am talking about. These claims that you make about life in the island just smacks of ignorance and ethnic stereotyping. BTW I have visited the school (affiliated with the Inter-amercian University) and everything you wrote is so wrong.
I certainly expect to read some things that just dont ring true in these forums as many people like to give advice on things they have no knowledge about, but some of the things you wrote are offensive.
As far as the socio-political situation on the island, my personal experience has been that it is quite similar to many areas of the US, like Miami or Orlando, Florida. Yes the language spoken here the most is spanish but other than that I found all the comforts of home to one degree or the other.
So please when you give out "advice" please stick to subjects you know about, as a future physician (hopefully) you will learn to be more objective when passing personal opinions and judgements off as fact.

BTW as an American living on the island I have NEVER experienced or witnessed racism of any sort toward mainlanders. I can say the same thing about sexism. Believe it or not the island IS politically part of the US and all its inhabitants are US citizens, this isnt a banana republic like you try to insinuate.

Dr Who

Maddi, what the hell are you talking about. I finished my residency a year ago. Look, obviously you are angry and bitter. Your experience in PR was the exception. That is unfortunate. I'm not sure what you mean by implying I had "someone to drive me to school, blah, blah, blah" You mean my wife? Who worked full time while I was in school? Whatever man. Look. I'm done with both you and this thread. If anyone else has questions about PR, residencies, or passing boards, PM me. bye.

Dr. Who. You are obviously very ignorant regarding the PR legal system. They follow their own version of the Spanish Constitution. http://www.dollarman.com/puertorico/judicial.html will show you. Why do you think PR citizens aren’t allowed to vote for president? Why do you think they have Independent, Popular and Progressive Parties? And have you ever seen a PR senator in the senate? NO, because it’s different you DUFUS. And you obviously have never been inside that limey green building it’s not like the other Inter American campuses. And “wanna be” don’t buy the “we are building a new school” song and dance they have been telling students that for 13 years. And DR WHO?????? GOOD QUESTION. You’re not even in the optometric field so get your sorry nose out of here

No... It is you who are the ignorant little girl... You obviously have no clue about the PR legislative or judicial system. If you actually went to Inter American you must have spent endless nights in raves and parties. Your ignorance just shows... and it shows through... Tam... In your infinite ignorance you have linked to a site that states a simple definition of the judicial system for ignorant fools like you... So that, in simple terms, you get an idea of what the judicial system is like. But in your haste to pass judgement, you did not go through and read the whole paragraph... Much to what I suspect you did with your 4 years of Optometric education... You read but did not learn. Did you pass the NBEO's??? Did you pass the Canadian Boards??? Your bitterness comes from your failure in both of these... Not because of the education from the School but from your lack of interest in actually learning about optometry. Seems that you partied your way through 4 years of Optometry School. And to even compound on your lack of tolerance and ignorance, if you really understood the political relation of PR and the USA you might see that, it is not allowed by the US Congress... Much like Guam, and the Virgin Islands cannot, and they are an Associated Republic and a Territory as well. And your infinite stupidity just shows... There are Puerto Rican members in Congress... You DUFUS. Regarding the building it is my understanding that the construction has already been started. If you were not in such a hurry to leave you might have seen it in the local media. So... maddi, if you were smart enough you would have made intelligent arguments, but all you present are stupid ignorant remarks that actually have no base in fact, and show that you are an intolerant racist nothing. Enough said. Hope you get down to studying for the NBEO and the Canadian Boards like you should have done from the begining.

iamtpot????????? Better get to study!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The name-calling and rude remarks need to stop on this thread now. I realize this is a very personal and important issue for many of you, but there is no need for this level of immaturity.

Please keep your comments mature and be respectful of one another.

r_salis said:
The name-calling and rude remarks need to stop on this thread now. I realize this is a very personal and important issue for many of you, but there is no need for this level of immaturity.

Please keep your comments mature and be respectful of one another.

I agree with r_salis. I think everyone should just shake hands and make up for whatever our differences are. :laugh:

ODhopeful said:
I agree with r_salis. I think everyone should just shake hands and make up for whatever our differences are. :laugh:
While I admire your utopian dream for a universe where everyone gets along, I made that comment as a forum moderator. ;)

maddi said:
Dr. Who. You are obviously very ignorant regarding the PR legal system. They follow their own version of the Spanish Constitution. http://www.dollarman.com/puertorico/judicial.html will show you. Why do you think PR citizens aren’t allowed to vote for president? Why do you think they have Independent, Popular and Progressive Parties? And have you ever seen a PR senator in the senate? NO, because it’s different you DUFUS. And you obviously have never been inside that limey green building it’s not like the other Inter American campuses. And “wanna be” don’t buy the “we are building a new school” song and dance they have been telling students that for 13 years. And DR WHO?????? GOOD QUESTION. You’re not even in the optometric field so get your sorry nose out of here
Ignorant?
You base ALL your knowledge on PR based on some paragraph you read in some web page? Their form of government is styled in the same fashion as the US system is. The commonwealth constitution is BASED on the US constitution. Their government is a mirror of the US system with a legislative body (camera and senate), judicial system and executive (headed by the governer). Your ignorance on the puertorican political system astounds me, more so when you try to present it off as fact. Please when you say something, say it based on REAl knowlwedge, not what you scrounged out of some web page probably written by someone more ignorant than you are about PR (although thats hard to fathom).

BTW here is an OFFICIAL web page from the US GOVERNMENT about PR.
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/rq.html

Please read and learn. Also the use of insults in your reply only serves to demonstrate your own lack of class. I will gladly answer any question you might have about PR, but if you continue your use of insults I will choose to ignore you as a troll, and an ignorant one at that.

Dr Who

Dr.wannabe said:
"Opthamologist scare tactic" Well, there are alot of opthamologists out there that think OD's are second rate and really think poorly on the profession. If you are not aware of the turf battle, don't worry you'll get your chance to defend us. (legislatively speaking) Anyhoo, I have come across posts where opthamology people will speak negatively about various topics. Hence, the scare tactic.

Okay, I still fail to see the role of "ophtha(l)mology people" in a situation where an optometrist warned you re: the school she attended. The thread title is predictably incendiary and, along with the above post, comes off as quite paranoid. I'm sure we can agree that random & baseless stabs by either type of eye doctor toward the other are counterproductive.

Everyone, thank you for all of your opinions and experiences on this matter. When I first recieved this pm I did not know if this person was an OD or not. I personaly know 6 OD's and have attended the legislative sessions during the cont'd education weekends for OD's. They make it very clear there is a turf battle in Texas. So, I must say I took her original message with a block of salt. If your statements are true, God help me. None the less, I am going after considering all the posts. Again, thanks everyone....I hope I did not step on to many toes. However, this topic clearly needed to be explored and I hope others walk away with some updated information about Puerto Rico College of Optometry.

As soon as you get there go straight to the school and ask to speak to a 3rd or 4th year. They will clue you in. FRESHMEN and SOPHMORES are still clueless to all the problems they will be getting into, but 3rd years are getting there. If you ask around you can also find 2003,2004,2005 graduates still stranded there. Buena suerte, amigo, tienes mucho por venir en los proximos quatro anos si es que quatro anos seran. Chao.

PS: And don't forget to ask who is the one selling the "stolen Exams" that's the only way you will survive there, getting some of those old stolen exams. I thought it was unethical to steel those exams and look where it got me. But you will soon find out the definition of ethics gets completely rearranged there. And don't do like I did, run home after class and study because the only thing you need is those stolen exams. They are too lazy to change the exam, so 9 out of 10 you will get the same exam!! And those are our 3.8 GPA brilliants,That way you can go to that discusting little bar two blocks away and brown nose the professors who hang there every night. That's how you get the grade there. The nerds who study every night instead don't get squat. Oh and get started with the hand signals, they were great with silent hand signals and their TI 85's , punched in the answers (a,c,d,a,,,,, ) then let you friend to "borrow" the calculator.... dirty, dirty, but those giggily girls passed with flying colors. Observe and learn. And don't get dengue, yellowfever, nor malaria during those trips to the poor neighborhoods when you will have to do screenings. Chao

Are you attending another Opt college. What made you choose Pr in the first place. It sounds that you started over somewhere else I take it.

Dear Dr. wannabe,
Have you arrived at the "School of the Locos" yet. If you did I really really feel sorry for you. Try to reapply somewhere else and get out of that place. They will only teach you if you are one of them if not then they only want your money. The money cows will be your out of town classmates. So prepare for a lot of "failed classes" and more money coming in during summer school for the "new school." And be very careful with the secretaries they set you up in ways you have never imagined to fail you.

I am currently at the IAUPR school of optometry and I don't think but I know our school is one of the best schools of optometry in the country. Do you want to know why I know? Because I have had the privledge of seeing others school and speaking to other students literally from every other school and we all go through the same stuff! But I say we are one of the best that is a big statment and you know what I am confident saying that because we are a small group only 19 schools in the us and canada and everyone of those schools can make a similar claim because we all have our stregthens and weaknesses. IAU just got reaccredited for the maximum 8 years, and we never have been at danger of losing that accreditation since the schools conception. And yes, everyday more progress is done on our new facility on the main campus. We are doing something that no other school dare to attempt, a bilingual curriculum to serve a changing world, this is no easy feat nor should it be something gone uncommended.

If you really want to know about this school ask someone who is not ethically and morally deficient, someone who does not arbitrally make up case histories for her patients because she can't understand them, and over charge poor families for services that they don't need, because I know this person MAddi and if I am right she has a whole long list of disgusting little truths about herself that i doubt she wants devulged. so if MADDI is [removed by moderator] from Calgary.. I would be pretty careful about what I say. Congratulations on getting ... attempting to get re-married I hope this one works out for you.

If i am not right and this is not [removed by moderator], or you pretend not to be, Consider yourself lucky maddi until i figure out who you are and expose you for who you are. If you can blatantly lie about IAU then i can tell the TRUTH about you no matter how much it hurts .... and I will.

One thing I dont understand, if this person has such a low opinion of her school then why doesnt he/ she just leave or try transfering. I mean no matter who you are or you situation (optometry, med school, etc) there will always be a things to gripe about, thats just the reality of the situation. But No matter what school we go to, we almost always feel a bit of pride for our schools which this person obviously does not feel. Even if he/ she has such a bad opinion of her school she should know that the road to get there was not easy. In order to be accepted (even at IAU) she (assuming she is a girl) had to compete with other, probably more deserving people who werent accepted.

To bitch about the school at this juncture only serves to highlight one fact, it wasnt she who made the mistake of choosing your school, it was the school's mistake for choosing the wrong person. There are so many more deserving people whose place she might have taken.

We all bitch and moan about our schools, its just a normal part of the process, but what this person does is just blatantly disrespectful. If she is so unhappy with her school, then simply leave. Badmouthing your school like that shows a deep lack of character and immaturity. This is not a personal attack on her, it just irks me that some people choose to bite the hand that feeds them instead of being grateful for an oppportunity given them.

dr who.
well put! all i know is- i got stuck in the same module and rotations for my ENTIRE 3rd and 4th year with "maddi", and she made my life a living hell. the constant scheming and coniving drove me CRAZY. the fact that i made it out of puerto rico dealing with HER, not to mention having to looking at her nasty face and body was the REAL accomplishment. HAHA.
ps- i went to the IAUPR and passed all parts of the national boards- just cuz maddi couldnt stop letting down her hair (HAHAHAHA) at Babylon, or stalking every guy she met- to take time to study isnt the schools fault.

erborowiec said:
dr who.
well put! all i know is- i got stuck in the same module and rotations for my ENTIRE 3rd and 4th year with "maddi", and she made my life a living hell. the constant scheming and coniving drove me CRAZY. the fact that i made it out of puerto rico dealing with HER, not to mention having to looking at her nasty face and body was the REAL accomplishment. HAHA.
ps- i went to the IAUPR and passed all parts of the national boards- just cuz maddi couldnt stop letting down her hair (HAHAHAHA) at Babylon, or stalking every guy she met- to take time to study isnt the schools fault.

When your daddy is an OMD it's easy to point fingers. The licencees in the state of Michigan don't have your name there so you passing ALL the boards is questionable, although after going to two or more optometry schools I sure hope you have. HAHAAHA

i am not practicing in michigan. never have, never will. like usual, you have your facts all messed up- i dont think that will really surprise anyone though. and if you like, you CAN look me up.

and i only went to ONE optometry school. you can also look that up by my last name--- that im not scared to give.

why dont you display your last name???

dont you think it might say something about your personality when everyone dis-likes you? from what i understand, your family feels the same way too!
and WHEN will you learn to stop jumping to conclusions?

stop making yourself so miserable!

Status
Not open for further replies.