Is this list of schools good for these stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darklordzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am going to be the first applicant this cycle and come up with this list of school. I just want to get into one school, no matter where, this cycle so no gap year happens for me. Is there any school IS bias that I miss taking out?

Biological Sciences and Chemistry double major, currently a junior.
English is not my native language, in the US for 7 years
MCAT 27 [11,6,10]
AACOMAS GPA calculated
cGPA: 3.92
sGPA: 3.93
Almost finish these degrees with only 4 classes left after I submit my application.
California Resident, my university is UC Irvine, ranked like top 50 i think.
about 1 year, which adds up to 200 hours of volunteering/shadowing in a clinic of an MD with LOR from this MD [ 4 hours a week, for 1 year, still ongoing]
2 years of biology basic research in UCI's lab, so close to + 1000 hours [12 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]
2 years of work-study paid job in a biomedical engineering lab at UCI, close to +700 hours [ 8 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]

Here is my list of schools

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM both campuses
KCUMB-COM
LMU-DCOM
KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU both campuses
AZCOM/MWU
CCOM/MWU
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
MSUCOM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
OU-HCOM
PNWU-COM
RVUCOM
RowanSOM
TouroCOM-NY
Touro-NV
TUCOM-CA
UNECOM
WesternU/COM
WCU-COM

all inputs are appreciated.
Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you have all bases covered.

I think PCOM requires 8,8,8 - double check.
Make sure that you have a native English speaker edit your essay. They will likely be looking at it very closely to make sure you can communicate clearly.

Vcom only allows applications to one campus.
Unecom may be wasted money because they favor Northeasterns enormously.

Otherwise it's a decent list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you have all bases covered.

I think PCOM requires 8,8,8 - double check.
Make sure that you have a native English speaker edit your essay. They will likely be looking at it very closely to make sure you can communicate clearly.

8,8,8 is a recommendation.

Hello all,
I am going to be the first applicant this cycle and come up with this list of school. I just want to get into one school, no matter where, this cycle so no gap year happens for me. Is there any school IS bias that I miss taking out?

MCAT 27 [11,6,10]
AACOMAS GPA calculated
Almost finish these degrees with only 4 classes left after I submit my application.
about 1 year, which adds up to 200 hours of volunteering/shadowing in a clinic of an MD with LOR from this MD [ 4 hours a week, for 1 year, still ongoing]
2 years of biology basic research in UCI's lab, so close to + 1000 hours [12 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]
2 years of work-study paid job in a biomedical engineering lab at UCI, close to +700 hours [ 8 hours a week, did not take summer off, still ongoing]

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM both campuses
KCUMB-COM
LMU-DCOM
KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU both campuses
AZCOM/MWU
CCOM/MWU
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
MSUCOM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
OU-HCOM
PNWU-COM
RVUCOM
RowanSOM
TouroCOM-NY
TUCOM-CA
UNECOM
WesternU/COM
WCU-COM

Thanks,
Why don't you try low-tier MD as well?

RFU? lol. programs with low end stats...

Do you know how many applications they get just because people think "they have the lowest stats so I might as well try!"

High stat applicants are using them as a back up and people on the DO/MD fence use them as a reach.

If OP has money and time to burn then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
3.25 sGPA and cGPA and then 7 in each section. Isn't it true if you meet 2 of those requirements they are a bit lenient on the 3rd?

I mean he is only off by 1 point.

yea i didnt plan on KCUMB but I read in previous years thats what they say, idk if its true though.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.25 sGPA and cGPA and then 7 in each section. Isn't it true if you meet 2 of those requirements they are a bit lenient on the 3rd?

You need 2 of the 3.

I had a 6 in verbal, they did reject me initially but a month later the invited me to complete their secondary, so I would say they do review it.

List looks great. Have you considered applying to Touro in Nevada? You're already fairly close going to UCI

But ultimately the average is 3.5/30, so what gives?

Related to the fact that all the low stat applicants see 3.5/30 and decide to apply. Stats will be low if your applicant pool has low stats.

Definitely need all 3 sections now, especially with the new dean. I know from personal experience from a year ago lol

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely need all 3 sections now, especially with the new dean. I know from personal experience from a year ago lol
Thanks dude, i will take KCUMB out of my list then :)

List looks great. Have you considered applying to Touro in Nevada? You're already fairly close going to UCI
oops, i thought u put touro-NV and touro-NY but just put one, yea ima play there too.

GG to me if I have to reapply then lol.

How about LECOM as well?

Related to the fact that all the low stat applicants see 3.5/30 and decide to apply. Stats will be low if your applicant pool has low stats.
Yea so who gets in ultimately? When you have tons of people all in the same stat range. Rather, who gets the interviews?

Yea so who gets in ultimately? When you have tons of people all in the same stat range. Rather, who gets the interviews?

You go into a room with a blind fold on and some darts. You throw them all over the place. The places the darts hit match up to an applicant. That applicant is further reviewed.

not serious, but probably about close to how things work at schools with over 15,000 apps a year.

People who are a better fit. If you buy into the fact that low stat matriculants on average have better life stories, then your competition at RFU is just as steep as it is at HMS. Just in a different aspect of the application.

You go into a room with a blind fold on and some darts. You throw them all over the place. The places the darts hit match up to an applicant. That applicant is further reviewed.

not serious, but probably about close to how things work at schools with over 15,000 apps a year.

I just want to apply to places that i have a fair shots at. I don't want to play a "lucky star" game and just apply to see if the luck is on my side

You can get into any DO with those stats. Make a small list of 5-7 schools only in my opinion. Unless you're doing a military scholarship, money IS something you want to consider! Look at lower tuition schools as well as 'higher tier' (like the old schools).

You can get into any DO with those stats. Make a small list of 5-7 schools only in my opinion. Unless you're doing a military scholarship, money IS something you want to consider! Look at lower tuition schools as well as 'higher tier' (like the old schools).

first time applicant so I don't have any experience with this, I do not look into military scholarship i just plan to apply and get acceptance then i will pick the one with the lowest tuition....this is the safest route.
with 5-7 schools, it seems risky

first time applicant so I don't have any experience with this, I do not look into military scholarship i just plan to apply and get acceptance then i will pick the one with the lowest tuition....this is the safest route.

You could narrow down your list a bit more if you wanted.

Did you know OOS tuition for MSUCOM is $80k? Let's say you get a $12k OOS scholarship. You're still paying $67k just in tuition.

Would you be willing to do that even if it's your only acceptance.

You have too many schools in your list... 10 schools should be the max with your stats... That 6 in VR is not lethal though.

I had 3.3 cumulative and 3.2 science with a 28. Applied to 8 schools, interview invites to 5 of them. Accepted to all interviews. 5-7 is NOT risky with your stats. SDN is striking paranoia into your brain.

You could narrow down your list a bit more if you wanted.

Did you know OOS tuition for MSUCOM is $80k? Let's say you get a $12k OOS scholarship. You're still paying $67k just in tuition.

Would you be willing to do that even if it's your only acceptance.

yea, sadly, if i apply to 20 schools and thats my only one, then yes.

You have too many schools in your list... 10 schools should be the max with your stats... That 6 in VR is not lethal though.

thanks dude, i will narrow it down.

I had 3.3 cumulative and 3.2 science with a 28. Applied to 8 schools, interview invites to 5 of them. Accepted to all interviews. 5-7 is NOT risky with your stats. SDN is striking paranoia into your brain.

what schools u suggest me to narrow down? btw what are the 5 schools u got into? lol is ur 28 well balanced?

Hello all,

MCAT 27 [11,6,10]
AACOMAS GPA calculated

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM both campuses
KCUMB-COM
LMU-DCOM
KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU
both campuses
AZCOM/MWU
CCOM/MWU
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM

MSUCOM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
OU-HCOM
PNWU-COM
RVUCOM
RowanSOM
TouroCOM-NY
Touro-NV
TUCOM-CA

UNECOM
WesternU/COM
WCU-COM

Thanks,

As a CA resident you're almost a shoe-in for an interview at the highlighted schools based on your stats and the results of past similar members. (The Anicetus experience comes to mind)

yea, sadly, if i apply to 20 schools and thats my only one, then yes.

thanks dude, i will narrow it down.

what schools u suggest me to narrow down? btw what are the 5 schools u got into? lol is ur 28 well balanced?
11 PS 8 VR 9 BS
NSU, KCUMB, KCOM, SOMA, DMU. Good luck!

As a CA resident you're almost a shoe-in for an interview at the highlighted schools based on your stats and the results of past similar members. (The Anicetus experience comes to mind)

okay thanks a lot, based on the above posts, what schools should i eliminate to narrow down the list?

UNECOM and RowanSOM both have significant regional biases. Also OUHCOM has a regional bias AND legally requires you to practice in Ohio for like 5 years after residency. I would get rid of those unless you really really like them.

okay thanks a lot, based on the above posts, what schools should i eliminate to narrow down the list?

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM
ATSU both campuses
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
RVUCOM
TouroCOM-NY
Touro-NV
TUCOM-CA
WesternU/COM
AZCOM/CCOM
MSUCOM

I would just apply to those schools in July. The ones in bold you can take out if you want a slimmer list.

You can add more in September if you're worried about how things are going. A 2nd batch will only cost you like $15-20 more than if you had sent them all at once.

I'm telling you, with your stats you only need to send 15 secondaries MAX.

My MCAT was the same as yours but GPA was lower. I got invites from WesternU, SOMA, AZCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB, DMU, ACOM, WVSOM.

Do you know who DIDN'T send me an II? LMU-DCOM.

Some schools might not even send you an II because your stats are above their averages. I really don't think KYCOM needs to be on your list.

Hello all,

MCAT 27 [11,6,10]
AACOMAS GPA calculated

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM both campuses
KCUMB-COM
LMU-DCOM
KYCOM
ACOM
ATSU both campuses
AZCOM/MWU
CCOM/MWU
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
MSUCOM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
OU-HCOM
PNWU-COM
RVUCOM
RowanSOM
TouroCOM-NY
Touro-NV
TUCOM-CA
UNECOM
WesternU/COM
WCU-COM

Thanks,

I applied to 8 of the schools you listed and received an ii from all but the AZ ones. I had a very similar MCAT score to yours (only a point higher on VR) and a much lower GPA and was able to get accepted to my top choice.

From what I experienced last cycle, I can say that you look golden. Just make sure to include "safety net" schools and you'll receive many ii's.

I applied to 8 of the schools you listed and received an ii from all but the AZ ones. I had a very similar MCAT score to yours (only a point higher on VR) and a much lower GPA and was able to get accepted to my top choice.

From what I experienced last cycle, I can say that you look golden. Just make sure to include "safety net" schools and you'll receive many ii's.

Agree with the sentiment here. Apply to 10-15 at most and you should be fine, if all you want is an acceptance.

I'd absolutely drop KYCOM (you have enough safeties as it is), RowanSOM, UNECOM, and OU-HCOM because of their heavy IS bias. I'd also drop Touro-NY, because they like higher MCATs and the secondary fee is like $200, which you'll already be dropping for TUCOM and Touro-NV. I'd also drop WCU because again you have enough other safeties on there for it not to matter.

Now, generally, I'm of the opinion that if you have the money, you might as well cast a wide net, so if you really feel like applying to 20 schools, so be it. You can decide later whether you want to attend the interviews or not. If the money is an issue though, then as I said, scale back to 10-15 if all you want is an acceptance.

Also, no matter what, apply early. Once you get an acceptance, you have time to relax.

UNECOM and RowanSOM both have significant regional biases. Also OUHCOM has a regional bias AND legally requires you to practice in Ohio for like 5 years after residency. I would get rid of those unless you really really like them.
okay i will take those out

GA-PCOM Both campuses,
VCOM
ATSU both campuses
CUSOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
NYIT-COM
NSU-COM
RVUCOM
TouroCOM-NY
Touro-NV
TUCOM-CA
WesternU/COM
AZCOM/CCOM
MSUCOM

I would just apply to those schools in July. The ones in bold you can take out if you want a slimmer list.

You can add more in September if you're worried about how things are going. A 2nd batch will only cost you like $15-20 more than if you had sent them all at once.

I'm telling you, with your stats you only need to send 15 secondaries MAX.

My MCAT was the same as yours but GPA was lower. I got invites from WesternU, SOMA, AZCOM, LECOM-B, KCUMB, DMU, ACOM, WVSOM.

Do you know who DIDN'T send me an II? LMU-DCOM.

Some schools might not even send you an II because your stats are above their averages. I really don't think KYCOM needs to be on your list.

Agree with the sentiment here. Apply to 10-15 at most and you should be fine, if all you want is an acceptance.

I'd absolutely drop KYCOM (you have enough safeties as it is), RowanSOM, UNECOM, and OU-HCOM because of their heavy IS bias. I'd also drop Touro-NY, because they like higher MCATs and the secondary fee is like $200, which you'll already be dropping for TUCOM and Touro-NV. I'd also drop WCU because again you have enough other safeties on there for it not to matter.

Now, generally, I'm of the opinion that if you have the money, you might as well cast a wide net, so if you really feel like applying to 20 schools, so be it. You can decide later whether you want to attend the interviews or not. If the money is an issue though, then as I said, scale back to 10-15 if all you want is an acceptance.

Also, no matter what, apply early. Once you get an acceptance, you have time to relax.

the reason i include this long list is because of VR 6. some schools may take that in factors so thats why i did not consider I have solid shots at the long estabilished schools (touros for examples)

okay i will take those out

the reason i include this long list is because of VR 6. some schools may take that in factors so thats why i did not consider I have solid shots at the long estabilished schools (touros for examples)

Touro DO schools are newer schools. Definitely established, but certainly not what you'd consider one of the "long established schools". Great schools, but not old. Touro-CA was started in 1997, Touro-NV in 2004, and Touro-NY in 2007. In any case, its not like any of that really matters in the DO world, just thought I'd clarify that.

Your list is fine. If you are nervous stick with the 20 or so that I didn't mention, but I think you'll be OK either way.

I am pretty sure VCOM requires a DO letter.

i see a lot of posts they say the committee will provide the DO letter............................a lot of people confirm it though.....