Is this material covered in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slimshady83

M1
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a course right now and I'm unsure what if any medical school basic science courses will be covering similar material. My main reason for signing up for the course is that I thought it would be relevant to medical school, but I'm not sure that it is relevant. I prefer not to give the exact name of the course as it is rather distinctive, however I've included the course description from the syllabus below. Basically, I'm considering dropping the course because I don't necessarily need it and have a busy schedule already. The drop date is quickly approaching, I would really appreciate getting rapid feedback (especially from med students who have completed or are completing their basic science years). Do you think this course will help me? Note: I'm not especially interested in pediatrics...

Here is the course description:

This course addresses human growth and biological maturation as they relate to motor development. It is intended for students with an interest in human movement. It is recommended that you complete a course in anatomy or physiology before enrolling in this course. We first examine the development of movement and motor skills from birth through adolescence. We will describe the development of postural control, mobility, and upper limb function in terms of phases and stages. Students will be expected to describe the progression of development for postural control, locomotion, and reaching/grasping from birth through about two years of age. Then we will address the underlying changes in motor control that account for motor development. We will finish by examining the general developmental features of so-called ‘fundamental skills’ (running, jumping, kicking, throwing, etc). During the second half of the semester we will examine growth of the body and its various tissues, and the biological maturation of systems important for physical activity. Students should be able to describe the changes in various body dimensions and weight that occur from prenatal stages through young adulthood, growth of different tissues, growth rates, and gender differences in growth. The student also should be able to describe age- and gender-related changes in maturation and the underlying physiological mechanisms.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, that material covered is covered in med school but it seems like it would be a waste of your time to learn it now, particularly with your busy schedule. Frankly, the material isn't interesting enough to want to learn it twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's covered in about one hours worth of lecture in one course.

ok so I'm butting in here. I'm taking a year off between undergrad and med school. Is there any point in trying to prepare somehow??? bc I dont think I could possibly prepare for med school but then again year off from school is lot.

ok so I'm butting in here. I'm taking a year off between undergrad and med school. Is there any point in trying to prepare somehow??? bc I dont think I could possibly prepare for med school but then again year off from school is lot.

There's really nothing you can do to prepare for med school from an academic perspective.

Yes, that material covered is covered in med school but it seems like it would be a waste of your time to learn it now, particularly with your busy schedule. Frankly, the material isn't interesting enough to want to learn it twice.
:laugh: I was going to say the same thing.

Thanks for the advice, I was told the same thing by some other people as well. Dropping the class will be a big weight off my shoulders. Thanks again.