Is this med-peds plus IM plan crazy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gunninforpeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for family reasons I have a strong desire to go back to the west coast for residency, specifically the one part (Washington/Oregon) that doesn't have a single med-peds residency. When I found this out I took the news with minimal whimpering-- like a man-- and decided to apply IM instead. However the academic IM programs in Washington and Oregon are super competitive, so I was going to apply all over the west (UT, CO, CA, AZ, etc.) as a backup. But if I'm going to fall down my rank list to another state anyway, then I would love to do med peds after all.

I see lots of folks who use IM or peds as a backup for med peds. My question is, can I apply med peds as a backup to IM, or will Programs perceive "lack of passion" for med peds from the heavy IM focus I'm sure my application will have?

Members don't see this ad.

I think medpeds PDs are more feelers than their IM counterpart so fit is important to them. They can probably tell if someone isn't passionate about medpeds. That being said it really isn't that difficult to fake being passionate about both medicine and peds. You could use the idea that you have always been passionate about IM, hence your IM focused app. However, you recently fell in love with peds as well and you just can't quite give it up yet. Or some other BS along those lines.

One thing to note, if you compare the west coast medpeds programs with UW or OHSU, the only ones that would be considered "backups" would probably be Loma Linda and Good Sam, maybe USC. The others are as competitive if not more so than the IM programs.

It is a lot easier to apply for categorical Peds or IM as a backup to Med/Peds, than the reverse scenario you are interested in. But, I think you can still do it.

In order to apply to both programs, be sure to:
a) include involvement or interest in both IM and pediatrics (so in your case, at least include some pediatric activities)
b) write a personal statement for IM and one for Med/Peds and use the appropriate PS for respective programs in ERAS (heard you can do this)
c) have enough LORs to satisfy both IM and Med/Peds (you should be fine for IM, but just be sure to also have Peds Chair + Peds letters, some M/P require chair letters)