Is this normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeedDrOpinion

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not allowed but I figured since there are hundreds of studying med students here I could ask this question.

My question is: is it normal when you can hear your cerebralspinal fluid? Honest to god when I am trying to sleep I can hear that stuff moving around in my brain. Sometimes it makes a weezing sound too. The only way I can describe it is that you can hear and feel it the same way you can hear and feel your heart beating. Is this normal???

Thanks in advance and good luck to every medical student here.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm. Got a family physician you could call and ask? Or you could go to www.allexperts.com (I used to be a volunteer) and search up medicine...you could email a doctor your question for free and he/she will email you back.

You must be joking. First, run a test. Try sleeping in a different location. Maybe the sound is coming from your bedroom. If you sleep in a hotel or at a friend's house and still hear the sound, then you are carrying it with you. Next, go to an ENT. Maybe the fluid sound is really a bug in your ear. I had a classmate who kept hearing a buzzing sound and later discovered a gnat crawling around.

Members don't see this ad :)
NeedDrOpinion said:
Sorry if this is not allowed but I figured since there are hundreds of studying med students here I could ask this question.

My question is: is it normal when you can hear your cerebralspinal fluid? Honest to god when I am trying to sleep I can hear that stuff moving around in my brain. Sometimes it makes a weezing sound too. The only way I can describe it is that you can hear and feel it the same way you can hear and feel your heart beating. Is this normal???

Thanks in advance and good luck to every medical student here.

Hey,

I have the same problem as you. I can also hear the sound of the fluid when I cover one ear with my hand. do you have other symptoms such as headache, sleepness in the morning, unable to concentrate, or clicking sound when you talk sometime? It is really weird and I will talk to my family physician within two weeks to see what is going on.

:laugh: I'm sorry, I just have to ask if it sounds like the ocean?

Hearing your own CSF is not a problem. When others can hear your CSF, that's a problem :laugh:

deuist said:
You must be joking. First, run a test. Try sleeping in a different location. Maybe the sound is coming from your bedroom. If you sleep in a hotel or at a friend's house and still hear the sound, then you are carrying it with you. Next, go to an ENT. Maybe the fluid sound is really a bug in your ear. I had a classmate who kept hearing a buzzing sound and later discovered a gnat crawling around.

Are you serious? That sounds horrible! It's definitely in my ear and not some outside noise.

Goped said:
Hey,

I have the same problem as you. I can also hear the sound of the fluid when I cover one ear with my hand. do you have other symptoms such as headache, sleepness in the morning, unable to concentrate, or clicking sound when you talk sometime? It is really weird and I will talk to my family physician within two weeks to see what is going on.

Yes I have ALL of the above!

Status
Not open for further replies.