Is this normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Renae

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
AMCAS primary was verified late July
most secondaries were submitted late August through September
my committee letter was FINALLY received by AMCAS mid-October
My first II was Oct 30, and I have had just two more II's scheduled

I'm a 3.97 math major with a 4.0 science GPA, 3.95 MBA, 35M, and I work as a lab technician (gap year) at a children's research hospital.

WIll I get any more?? Or did I submit too late?

Sincerely,
Super Neurotic Premed that just wants SO badly to be the bestest pediatrician ever:p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
AMCAS primary was verified late July
most secondaries were submitted late August through September
my committee letter was FINALLY received by AMCAS mid-October
My first II was Oct 30, and I have had just two more II's scheduled

I'm a 3.97 math major with a 4.0 science GPA, 3.95 MBA, 35M, and I work as a lab technician (gap year) at a children's research hospital.

WIll I get any more?? Or did I submit too late?

Sincerely,
Super Neurotic Premed that just wants SO badly to be the bestest pediatrician ever:p

Assuming you have more ECs than you described, your committee kind of screwed you over. You will probably get in this year, but you should have an acceptance in hand by now, unless you applied too top heavy, if it wasn't for being complete so late. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe you could describe your ECs?
Are you confident of your LORs?
No legal issues, or Institutional Actions?

student athlete for Baylor (track/XC)
was a tutor/grader throughout undergrad as well
Used to get picked up by agencies and model during the summer in NY & Paris
volunteered in an ER
got into a competitive research internship this past summer
volunteered at the same hospital throughout that internship
father was a physician, I've shadowed him & one other, and will be shadowing a pediatric oncologist soon

Assuming you have more ECs than you described, your committee kind of screwed you over. You will probably get in this year, but you should have an acceptance in hand by now, unless you applied too top heavy, if it wasn't for being complete so late. :luck:

the interviews will still come though, right? they don't completely write me off for being complete late do they?

Maybe you could describe your ECs?
Are you confident of your LORs?
No legal issues, or Institutional Actions?
How many less-selective schools were on your list, meaning mean or median acceptee stats below yours?

yeah confident of LORs, never got into trouble =)

volunteered in an ER
father was a physician, I've shadowed him & one other, and will be shadowing a pediatric oncologist soon
How many months of hospital volunteering did you list, with how many total hours?
How many shadowing hours total listed?

the interviews will still come though, right? they don't completely write me off for being complete late do they?

Depends on where you applied. If you picked mostly top schools with aggressive rolling admissions, you may get nothing more, as they pretty much filled their classes before you were complete, and have huge numbers of applicants who are completely qualified and applied early. If you have a good number of average schools, you will probably get some invites, especially if you have schools that dont have rolling admissions.

Depends on where you applied. If you picked mostly top schools with aggressive rolling admissions, you may get nothing more, as they pretty much filled their classes before you were complete, and have huge numbers of applicants who are completely qualified and applied early. If you have a good number of average schools, you will probably get some invites, especially if you have schools that dont have rolling admissions.

This should've been in the first reply. Cmon guys you're slippin!

volunteered in an ER

sounds good enough to me :D (jk)

btw, it sounds like you had a potential shot at becoming a professional model, what made you steer towards medicine?

haha! i always hated modeling but used it as a way to travel for free and make new friends. I was literally called to medicine while I was getting my MBA ---- plus, I saw too many 25-year-old once H&M models turn into Toys r Us models and knew I didn't want that.

Also, trophy wifing is not quite my style :D

am I not competitive enough to have a shot even after applying late? If they give a deadline, don't they have to honor that?

am I not competitive enough to have a shot even after applying late? If they give a deadline, don't they have to honor that?

Applying later will probably hurt you, deff. at top tier schools, but given your stats and EC's, I think you'll definitely get an interview somewhere. I think after you get that interview invite, your job should be to prepare as best as you can for the interview and you're golden. But, I think you might get interview invites/acceptances a little later.

Where did you apply? A deadline is when they stop taking applications. They issue no guarantee that anyone in before the deadline will receive equal consideration, and since schools are competing for the best applicants at the same time applicants are competing for schools, they have every incentive to fill the class as quickly as possible. Applying early is important, you were not that late yourself, but the committee pushed you back quite a bit. No one can give you more useful information without knowing what schools you applied to, but no, they have no obligation to wait for late applicants at all. The deadline is a hard date after which they won't consider you, it is not at all a promise that they will save spots for ate applicants.

Just to point it out once again, how competitive you are depends on the schools you applied to.

Where did you apply? A deadline is when they stop taking applications. They issue no guarantee that anyone in before the deadline will receive equal consideration, and since schools are competing for the best applicants at the same time applicants are competing for schools, they have every incentive to fill the class as quickly as possible. Applying early is important, you were not that late yourself, but the committee pushed you back quite a bit. No one can give you more useful information without knowing what schools you applied to, but no, they have no obligation to wait for late applicants at all. The deadline is a hard date after which they won't consider you, it is not at all a promise that they will save spots for ate applicants.

Just to point it out once again, how competitive you are depends on the schools you applied to.

Thanks, I applied to UT (Tennessee), LSU, Tulane, UM Miami Miller, Vandy, James H. Quillen, Medical College of Georgia, Baylor College of Med, FSU, Emory, Stanford, and The University of Alabama.

I've gotten interviews from only 3 of the above (so far?) What do you think? I appreciate so much your quick response.

Applying later will probably hurt you, deff. at top tier schools, but given your stats and EC's, I think you'll definitely get an interview somewhere. I think after you get that interview invite, your job should be to prepare as best as you can for the interview and you're golden. But, I think you might get interview invites/acceptances a little later.

Thanks so much :oops:
:xf: