1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is this okay???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jstuds_66, Jul 28, 2006.

1. jstuds_66

jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Okay, on the UCLA secondary apps, they ask you to describe your:

ONE most important non-academic activity
    ONE most unique leadership activity
    ONE most important volunteer activity

So, I was a missionary for my church in Brazil for 2 years. It was an amazing experience for me!! It really did change my life (non-academic activity)! While I was there, I trained two new missionaries, and had responsabilities over 6 to 14 other missionaries for 1 year+ (leadership). This whole 2 year experience was voluntary because I actually paid for it and received no compensation (volunteer).

Here's my question:

Since the answers to their questions are all related to my missionary experience, is it okay for me to put that down?

Don't get me wrong, I have other non-academic activities, leadership, and volunteer work. However, the missionary stuff is most important to me. ANy input? Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jstuds_66

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Somebody help me please!!!

4. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    While it's nice that you did a lot on your missionary trip...I think that you would appear more well rounded if you talked about three different activities instead of just one.

I too had one main activity...still, I kept myself to just using it for my personal statement and at most one (and sometimes none) of multiple secondary question answers.

5. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would probably spread it out, if you can write passionately about other meaningful experiences do so. If not then explain this was a life changing experience and how it meets all three criteria in different ways.

6. starflower

starflower Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree. It would be good to list a variety of experiences.

7. etf

etf
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

wow, you got a ucla secondary? you're my hero!

8. The key words are "most important" and "most unique"... if the missionary stuff was the most important volunteer AND non-academic work that you have done, then it seems that you should be true to yourself by stating that. It also gives you the chance to look at the same experience from two different lenses. There's other spots on the app to list all of the things you have done, right?

Maybe some of your other leadership work will fit better with "most unique"...

9. Tori's dad

Tori's dad Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, I served in Mexico. I can tell you that a lot of pre-med mormon RM's put way too much emphasis on thier mission. I mean, it was a great thing and all, but there is more to you than that. If you grew up LDS, like I did, then no doubt you were involved in many volunteer activities i.e. boy scouts, young mens etc. You should also have had significant experiences since your mission in college. A mission is a great thing but it should be only one tool in your chest. Use it wisely. I had a guy interview me and ask me about what I did on my mish. He turned out to be an RM (Brazil) and wanted to see if I was portraying my mission for what it really was (proselyting with occasional service)

Good luck

10. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. Especially if you have some more experiences domestically. Work abroad is great, but showing that you continued it outside of the context of living abroad would be wonderful.

Especially if this is LDS-related. Only highlighting one experience, and it being an experience that is pretty much required by your faith might not fly so well.

11. OofWillis

OofWillis Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey, I also served 2-year mission. I had a difficult time filling out some secondaries that asked similar questions. I decided to answer just one question with the mission. I realize that a mission changes you in many ways and should have a huge impact on your life, but I would answer with a couple different activities (to show well-roundedness). For me, I also entered the mission as one of my activities for AMCAS. If you also did, they should be able to understand its importance and what you did from what you wrote about it.

Good luck with the application!

12. jstuds_66

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually never received an email or anything via snail mail. I just went to their website and logged in. It said that I was invited to fill out a secondary app. So, I'm sure lots of people have been invited,they just don't know it yet.

Thanks everyone for the input! Since I did talk about the mission in my PS, I think I'll just use it as one of the answers to those questions. I appreciate the help!

13. I served a 2-year mission too and had a similar issue with the secondary from Wake Forest (I think it was WF anyway!). It asked something like (paraphrasing, of course):

In what volunteer work did you make the most impact on others? and
    What volunteer work made the most impact on you?

I guess that the answer to both could probably be a mission, but I chose to write one about my mission (the second one) and the other about my experience volunteering at a free clinic.

Point is, I'm sure you've done more than your mission in your post-high school life, so paint them a broader picture of yourself. That's my advice, anyway.