Sesom

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Description: To provide patients in Rehab with soothing music in the evenings and on weekends in order to increase healing and emotional support.

Would you consider this patient contact?

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
No. Haha. Soothing music does not equal "patient contact" Is there a reason you are avoiding a more personal experience?

Sesom

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
No. Haha. Soothing music does not equal "patient contact" Is there a reason you are avoiding a more personal experience?
Well you are suppose to play an instrument to a bunch of rehab patients that is why I am wondering.

I'm not avoiding any experience right now, just exploring what volunteering positions I have come across. Wanted to see what you guys thought.

tremulousNeedle

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Definitely an application builder and an opportunity for unique interview fodder, but not patient contact in the traditional sense.

Sesom

5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Volunteers generally do not have to wipe butts, is this correct?

Aug 29, 2009
Kansas City
Status
Medical Student
Well you are suppose to play an instrument to a bunch of rehab patients that is why I am wondering.

I'm not avoiding any experience right now, just exploring what volunteering positions I have come across. Wanted to see what you guys thought.
Don't volunteer, the experience sucks. Get a job doing patient care at a hospital...you'll see and learn a lot more and it looks a lot better than volunteering. You don't learn much sitting around getting patients blankets.

Swagster

7+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
How do you find one of these hospital jobs? I want to get a good experience with patients this summer, but so far all I hear about are yearlong volunteer programs. Do hospitals hire undergraduates for only the summer? If they do, wouldn't it be really competitive and volunteer experience would make your resume more attractive? I just don't see how you can avoid doing volunteer work as a premed.

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Tomorrow I have an interview to volunteer at a hospice as a patient companion, hopefully i get it, I'm not sure if its clinical experience...

Aug 29, 2009
Kansas City
Status
Medical Student
How do you find one of these hospital jobs? I want to get a good experience with patients this summer, but so far all I hear about are yearlong volunteer programs. Do hospitals hire undergraduates for only the summer? If they do, wouldn't it be really competitive and volunteer experience would make your resume more attractive? I just don't see how you can avoid doing volunteer work as a premed.
I have been working at KUMed for 3 years now as a tech. I work on the Code team and I spend my nights at the hospital on call. Just look at local hospitals for jobs you qualify for and apply. I am an undergrad at KU.

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
Tomorrow I have an interview to volunteer at a hospice as a patient companion, hopefully i get it, I'm not sure if its clinical experience...
LizzyM's Signature Helped me alot awhile back.
"If you are close enough to smell patients, it is a clinical experience."

Dr Pennypacker

Removed
Apr 12, 2010
Status
Podiatrist
eew, working at a hospice would not be something I would want to do. I feel like it would be depressing.

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Not to thread hijack, but I volunteered for two years at the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis helping with patients who were doing phys therapy. There was a lot of patient interaction but not with a lot of patients. Where would this fall under?

Mar 16, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
eew, working at a hospice would not be something I would want to do. I feel like it would be depressing.
I'm kind of looking forward to it, as twisted as that sounds.
In the beginning i was kind of intimidated by the idea of even applying, but than i figured that its not like people are lined up to volunteer at a hospice, and if i can bring some good to someone when they are at that point, well than I've achieved what i wanted. I only heard good experiences from people who have volunteered at a hospice

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
A few years ago, I read a PS from an applicant who had played piano in a nursing home... she had a very nice interaction with a disabled resident of the home that opened her eyes to the humanity and life history of some people who are often otherwise forgotten. There are those people who crave the high tech world of procedures and "cool stuff" but there are legitimate "clinical" experiences for those who want "high touch" experiences of getting to go along on the journey with those who are sick or injured and even those who are dying. Either is an acceptable way to determine if you are cut out for a career serving the sick.

Reactions: skeptastic

BenUstudent

BenUAlumni
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2008
Chicago, IL
Status
Medical Student
I'll take this as a yes? :)
Sorry for temporary thread hijack :laugh:
Best of Luck tomorrow:luck:
Just try and stay clam, and from your post above you sound sincere and I am sure you will do just fine.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Description: To provide patients in Rehab with soothing music in the evenings and on weekends in order to increase healing and emotional support.

Would you consider this patient contact?
Yes. :)