Is this possible? Probable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaiart

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this forum and only recently decided to go to med shool. Right now I am taking my pre med core classes.

Another guy in a class with me also is planning to attend med school but here's the difference and a question.

I attended college years ago but didn't finish because I got a great business opportunity. I started back at the Comm Coll level then I am going to transfer to Wayne St Univ and get my ugrad degree then off to Wayne Med school...

My classmate on the other hand has a degree from University of Phoenix and is taking his core classes right now then plans to attend Med school.

Here's the question, I have never heard of anyone going from a Phoenix type or background to med school (not that there's anything wrong with Phoenix style schools). Do any of you think this is possible or have you heard of anyone else doing something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

They don't offer any sort of natural science courses, do they?

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but.......... You have made the process seem very smooth and easy. I hope you realize the extremely hard road that you about to get onto. Don't think that just because you go to a certain undergrad school that the med school will just snap you up. Several here on the boards will attest to the fact that it often doesn't happen that way. If your statement "...only recently decided to go to med school" is an indicator of your commitment to medicine/people, then you may have a harder road yet. Be aware that there are a few med schools that are not desirous of community college credits so this will come into play when you finally apply. As far as your friend goes with the U of Phoenix thing..I think he should just start fresh..maybe someone knows of a med school that would accept those courses..I don't. Like the other poster pointed out..are they science classes? Like I initially said I am just playing devil's advocate, but your post smacks of the fact that you may need to think more carefully about your decision and what it will ultimately entail. If you are still committed to people and medicine..Godspeed my friend, I wish you all the luck in the world!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Artist Johnson:
•Here's the question, I have never heard of anyone going from a Phoenix type or background to med school (not that there's anything wrong with Phoenix style schools). Do any of you think this is possible or have you heard of anyone else doing something like this?•••

Um, sorry, I grew up in Canada. What exactly is a Phoenix style school?

Im with The Falconer. This is my 4th attempt at going to school. Fortunately, it has worked out for me this time but it has been a long 5-6 years of working at it. Thats not to say that you will also have a 5-6 year road ahead of you but it is something that you probably need to prepare for, even if you do get in pretty soon. If that's what you want, then go for it. If you want it bad enough, you will get in somewhere most likely. Speaking from experience though, it is a tough road...and I have a decent GPA, MCAT, and went to a very well respected undergrad school. GO FOR IT!

Originally posted by omores:
•Um, sorry, I grew up in Canada. What exactly is a Phoenix style school?•••

Thankfully I'm not from Canada (unless they have hicks up thar ;) ), but I also have no idea what a "Phoenix type school" is. Enlighten us, Canadians and Americans alike, please.

It's essentially an on-line degree program from an institution that exists exclusively on the internet.

OK, now I see. And now that you described the school, I can faintly remember the commercials for it. I wouldn't try that route to med school myself, and I haven't ever heard of anyone doing it. Whether or not it is possible, or whether or not it has happened before I can't say.

Call me a skeptic, but I don't think you could get in to med school with Phoenix credits. Not to devalue the quality of an education from Phoenix--I know next to nothing about how they work--but how are you supposed to do Organic Chemistry lab through a correspondence course?

As someone who has a friend who went through the Phoenix online BA program -- it's mostly a business degree format with reading/assignments that (from what I've seen) are extremely lax and pale in comparison to the classes that we sit through on campus. The classes are mostly for business people that already have the work experience and are taking "night" classes to get their degree to advance in their current jobs. If I remember correctly, you already need to have your GE completed to enroll and there are no science degrees offered. When I talked to him about this, he said that people don't normally go onto graduate school from the program and their degrees tend to not be taken as seriously as people who logged the lecture time. If I hear of any success stories I'll be sure to post them.

I agree with what has been posted about U of Phoenix. Most people (expecially those who are on the admissions committees) believe that that education is not on the same level as what you get at the normal Universities. I am not sure if that is correct, but that is certainly the prevalent thought.

It sounds like you both are taking your core courses at a University though. I am sure Med Schools do not care if you take two years at a JC and then transfer and take the core material at a 4 year institution. Just do not take all the physics, chemistry, math, etc. at the JC. They do want you to take it at a 4 year institution.

Just having decided to go to med school does not mean this person just started thinking about it. I have thought about it for 9-10 years, but just decided (the firm jumping off decision) 1.5 years ago.

Just remember, med schools like the complete applicant. This includes: GPA, MCAT, Extra curriculars (volunteering, athletics, work, presenting, judo, karate, dance, etc., etc.), Letters of Reference, Essays on the applications and finally, how you do on the interview. This obviously includes much more than undergrad institution, but that can count for a little here and there.

I apologize for not having been clear in my original post.

I considered being a physician years ago (I am 32) but due to the cold hard facts that there is a lot about the human body that science cannot repair yet, I couldn't watch people die and essentially be able to do nothing for them except ease their suffering.

When my father passed away from complications due to stage IV lung cancer, I was thankful in his last month that he was able to be sedated and essentially "feel no pain". That started me thinking about med school again, and then the news that my ex-wife was pregnant with out child (newborn daughter 12-20-01, Indigo Dawn Awino Johnson 4lbs 10oz) really steeled my decision to do it.

So I enrolled in Henry Ford Community College in Dearborn carefully coordinating my classes with Wayne State University so that I will be assured of transferability. As far as getting into Wayne Med School I know I will be able to do this, Period. If I go into this with a (wish I may, wish I might) attitude then I am dooming myself to failure.

One thing 32 yrs of life has taught me is that unless you have the right attitude (being success minded) you will fail. It might not be easy but then again what about med school is?

For those that don't know or have limited knowledge University of Phoenix is on-line but also butt-in-seat college for working adults. Mostly in the business arena but also nursing.

They are accredited by the same body that accredits U of M, Wayne St and Mich State so they are not scam artists.

My friend already has his degree from there and is taking science courses at HFCC then plans to apply to Med School.

Lastly, much thanks to Mark Lee of this board. Knowing that other "old geezer's" are out there "doing it" has really inspired me...

Thanks Mark for your words of wisdom.

From my understanding, the degree is completed at home. In my opinion this would raise various concerns with ADCOMS.
1. How do you complete chem labs and physics labs.

Ok so I assume you'd do them at a junior college or something. From my understanding medical schools don't put all that much weight on J.C. grades.

2. How do med schools know that you were the one that did all the work?

I'm not saying that you cheated, so don't get offended. What I'm saying is that Pre-Med is very competitive, and people have cheated in the past. What would make med schools confident that you completed all the work by yourself?

Hi Jaiart.

Thanks for the clarification.

No, certainly this is not an ordinary route to medical school, but it may just work.

My BA came from a pass/fail school. I was an art major without a single science course, but picked up the requirements (and grades) post-bacc at a state school. No medical school questioned the legitimacy of my education, and in fact at age 32 I got a scholarship to my dream school.

Your friend won't get any "status points" for his undergraduate institution, but, considering Phoenix IS accredited, won't be automatically disqualified either. For all to be rosy, your friend needs to do very well in those science courses he's taking, as well as get some nice juicy MCAT scores to further emphasize his intellectual worth.

I'd even argue that the sheer unconventional-ness of your friend's education will help him stand out during the application process -- heaven knows your ability to distinguish yourself from the crowd is a very important part of this process.

Best of luck to both of you -- I'm always delighted to hear from other "oldsters" who are embarking on this journey.

:) :) :D :) :)

Frankly, I believe the route you are choosing--on line coursework--is hopeless, and I have been involved with medical school admissions for 32 years.

But instead of believing me or folks on this board, I suggest you ask the people who make admissions decisions, namely, the medical school admissions offices.

Start with what you are aiming for, Wayne State.

Call and ask for a counseling interview; make sure you tell them that you are NOT an applicant this year.

Dr. Joseph Dogarin, Assistant Dean for Admissions, 303/577-1466

Getting admitted to medical school is not simply a matter of taking required courses and earning acceptable grades. Everything is taken into consideration, including where the courses are taken. Everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others.

Some stats on the 2001-2002 first year class:

Applicants: 3,191
Interviewed: 621
Class size: 256

All took the MCAT and had baccalaureate degrees.

Just wanted to point out that the original poster did not say that his friend is only taking online coursework. While Phoenix apparently does have an online component, it also offers conventional courses. If the school bills itself as a place for working adults, I assume that the poster's friend had a "legitimate" reason for going there and was not just looking for an easy degree. Moreover, his friend is taking the science requirements at at a "regular" school.

I do concur with Gower that your undergraduate institution does play a role in your desirability as an applicant, alas. But my own (anecdotal) experience does show that a very sketchy educational background does NOT doom you. It does mean that the rest of your application has to be especially luminous.

Gower's suggestion that you (and your friend) speak directly to the admissions offices of the schools in question is an excellent one. Do make sure that you speak with someone who is actually involved with making decisions, rather than an office assistant who may not be able to elucidate the nuances of that particular school's admissions process.

Again, best of luck.
;)

You definitely can get into (most) med schools and do your pre-reqs at a community college! Just make sure you major in a science, do great in your UD work, and do great on the MCAT science sections. :)

I will try to keep this friendly. I have one major request for all posters to this or any other topic/forum/whatever.

"Please read the post carefully, in fact read it twice before you even think about answering it."

When you misread a post and then reply with something that is incorrect and/or way off base it not only detracts from the topic it makes poeple wonder how some of us will ever get into medical school. I hope that we are all successful, but will you get histories and diagnosis incorrect also? Malpractice insurance will skyrocket! :D :eek: