Is this realistic? Advice please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDJerome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I just started reviewing for the MCAT (meaning this week). This would be my first time taking it. I have scheduled the June 17th MCAT.

The testing material I am using is TPR Hyperlearning. I've never taken the MCAT before, so this would be my first time. I really need to make a solid score to make up for my low GPA (3.4).

I've been studying roughly a chapter everyday of the week and because theirs SO MUCH material. It takes me about 8 hours to fully read the entire chapter. I'd say after reading it about 60% is memorized. So I'll have to find time somehow to review each chapter again to increase that to 90% recall. I also intend on doing review problems after I've covered all sections (entire book) - so this way, if I can't recall something, I can refreshin my memory by reviewing a particular section. Another thing to know is, I plan on tackling the Biology Review section first, then I'll move on to the Physics book afterwards and finally Verbal. After I've covered all 3 sectoins, I'll do Princeton Review exams and AAMC FLs. That's basically my schedule..

I'm actually very worried considering the test date is nearing. I haven't taken any review courses because I can't afford it and I actually borrowed these books from a friend.

This forum isn't boosting my confidence either since all the 6/17 test takers are already reviewing haha. :( But in your opinion and experience, is it possible to score say a 30+ at the rate I'm going? Please be brutally honest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It sounds like you should delay by about a month. However, no one can know if your current rate is enough for a 30+. We'd need to know how your practice passage scores are going. The real indicator would be your practice tests once you enter that phase.

Don't use TPR Hyperlearning, it contains way too much info than is needed on the MCAT. Just use the EK books and practice problems.

I'm in a similar boat but I have a plan of attack. I'm going to use TBR, EK, and online Kaplan materials for practice and use AAMC #3-10, TBR #1-5, and Kaplan #2-6 (if time). April 29 - June 17....I will find a way. I will use SN2ed's study plan but instead of doing 2 months content and 1 month practice tests, I will do 1 month content and 2.5 weeks practice tests. I learn the best by cramming and I will be studying 10+ hours a day. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a similar boat but I have a plan of attack. I'm going to use TBR, EK, and online Kaplan materials for practice and use AAMC #3-10, TBR #1-5, and Kaplan #2-6 (if time). April 29 - June 17....I will find a way. I will use SN2ed's study plan but instead of doing 2 months content and 1 month practice tests, I will do 1 month content and 2.5 weeks practice tests. I learn the best by cramming and I will be studying 10+ hours a day. :eek:

Yeah, terrible idea for the overwhelming majority of test takers. I'd only do this if your practice test scores are already within range (ie. 30+).

My main problem area is P.S., the others are fine. SN2ed, honestly dude, I don't really have any other choice. I can either do the best I can with the time I have, take it, and apply on time (Mid July) or concede now and take it in July/August when I would be truly prepared, probably do well, and still not get in anywhere because I'm too late.

Hi SN2ed

I plan on studying for ~55 days for 10 hours a day. ~20 days for review and ~30 days for FL tests.

I have taken the MCAT last year, and did very poorly in verbal, and I wasn't able to perform in both PS and BS to my full potential. However, I do have a very good knowledge in BS and PS right now because I have taken many courses this year that is closely related to them. I have also been doing a lot of VR passages, and have been improving (still needs some work though).

So my schedule will be 2 EK sections 6/7 days a week for BS and PS and doing all of the 1001 passages every day that corresponds to the chapter. I will also do 1 FL every other day in the last 30 days.

Is this a good idea? I think it will work, but wanted to get other opinions. Thanks!

*PS I have a high GPA >3.9, and I need 35+ in the MCAT

LegitBoss4Life:

It's better to secure your MCAT score first. Then apply early the next year. Far too many students rush the MCAT because they feel they must apply the same year, when that's completely false. Rather than rush the MCAT and do poorly, it's better to take your time, nail the MCAT, improve your ECs over the year, and apply early. Most of the time when students rush, they end up with a poor MCAT score which forces a delayed application and a retake.

Alright, I better not derail this thread any further.

LegitBoss4Life:

It's better to secure your MCAT score first. Then apply early the next year. Far too many students rush the MCAT because they feel they must apply the same year, when that's completely false. Rather than rush the MCAT and do poorly, it's better to take your time, nail the MCAT, improve your ECs over the year, and apply early. Most of the time when students rush, they end up with a poor MCAT score which forces a delayed application and a retake.

Alright, I better not derail this thread any further.

In your honest opinion, when do you think is the earliest time I could possibly take it? I did take a Kaplan class that started in January and ended in April and went to all of the lectures but didn't do much of the work I needed to. However, Kaplan is a waste anyway. I've gone through some of the EK and I'm very strong in Organic (don't miss a question on any practice test), pretty good at verbal, and bio kinda comes naturally to me but I think between EK Bio and TBR practice I will be fine. However, P.S. has been my weak area and I'm hoping it will be addressed by the TBR.

In your honest opinion, when do you think is the earliest time I could possibly take it? I did take a Kaplan class that started in January and ended in April and went to all of the lectures but didn't do much of the work I needed to. However, Kaplan is a waste anyway. I've gone through some of the EK and I'm very strong in Organic (don't miss a question on any practice test), pretty good at verbal, and bio kinda comes naturally to me but I think between EK Bio and TBR practice I will be fine. However, P.S. has been my weak area and I'm hoping it will be addressed by the TBR.

Can you make a new thread (without my name in the title since that's not allowed)? I don't want to derail the OP's thread.

It sounds like you should delay by about a month. However, no one can know if your current rate is enough for a 30+. We'd need to know how your practice passage scores are going. The real indicator would be your practice tests once you enter that phase.

I've decided to push my MCAT to July 8th. I would of used your 90-day guide but because I plan on using TPR books, it wouldn't work out the same.

What do you suggest I buy to supplement TPR Hyperlearning books (Physics, Bio, Verbal + Workbook) if I'm using TPR as my main testing material? I'll tell you now, Organic, Physics, and Gen. Chem is gonna be a struggle for me. :p

Possible Book Replacements:

TPRH is a great choice for content review in all subjects, however, you still need the BR books, EK 101 Verbal, and either EK Bio 1001 or BR Bio for their practice passages. TPRH does not have enough practice passages, though the Workbooks are still great resources.