Is this really bad? Can you bounce back from this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ragtime

An underdog
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5 C's, 3 W's, 1 F (B in retake) on my transcript. I have taken 66 semester units. 1 of those C's are in a prereq (Gen Chem).

Members don't see this ad.

I have 5 C's, 3 W's, 1 F (B in retake) on my transcript. I have taken 66 semester units. 1 of those C's are in a prereq (Gen Chem).

It's bad but it's not something that will keep you out. We do need a little bit of detail though.

Were the Cs all bunched up in a semester or year? Why did you get the Cs and the F?

Why did you withdraw those classes?
What is your current GPA?

I have 4 Cs that I can think of right now on my college transcript and I'll be matriculating at a medical school next year.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not over until you say it's over. with 66 credits I assume you're a sophomore, just bust your a$$ and bring that GPA up m8

Members don't see this ad :)
It's bad but it's not something that will keep you out. We do need a little bit of detail though.

Were the Cs all bunched up in a semester or year? Why did you get the Cs and the F?

Why did you withdraw those classes?
What is your current GPA?

I have 4 Cs that I can think of right now on my college transcript and I'll be matriculating at a medical school next year.

The C's are bunched up in a year. 1 C is from laziness, 2 C from hard professors, 2 C's from having a difficult time with course content (General Chemistry is my weakness). The F is a scheduling issue in which I could not drop. 1 W is medical related, and the other 2 to protect my low gpa from getting even lower. I have a 3.0 gpa, which is why I am considering DO schools, because realistically, I'll probably end up around a 3.3-3.4 at the highest. I calculated that if I can get all A's from now on, which is probably impossible, I would graduate with a 3.5. I looked over some MCAT sample questions, and I am able to answer/solve them.

That 1 C because of laziness was the only semester I was ever lazy but that was because I was just getting better from a medical condition and I was just trying to enjoy life. I just wanted to spend time with my girlfriend. Overall, I've been working really hard. I know I'm not dumb. I didn't go to a good high school so I never got to develop learning/study skills. All I did in HS was play sports and hang out. I had to start from bottom classes in college just to get to the college level courses. For example, I finally made it to Calculus and that's a big achievement for me (started at Algebra II in college). So I believe a lot of the bad grades are due to being inexperienced in achieving academic excellence.

It's not over until you say it's over. with 66 credits I assume you're a sophomore, just bust your a$$ and bring that GPA up m8

Thank you for the motivation. I'm not going to give up. I don't care how long it takes me and what I have to do to become a doctor, I'll keep fighting for it. :)

Last edited:
The C's are bunched up in a year. 1 C is from laziness, 2 C from hard professors, 2 C's from having a difficult time with course content (General Chemistry is my weakness). The F is a scheduling issue in which I could not drop. 1 W is medical related, and the other 2 to protect my low gpa from getting even lower. I have a 3.0 gpa, which is why I am considering DO schools, because realistically, I'll probably end up around a 3.3-3.4 at the highest. I calculated that if I can get all A's from now on, which is probably impossible, I would graduate with a 3.5. I looked over some MCAT sample questions, and I am able to answer/solve them.

That 1 C because of laziness was the only semester I was ever lazy but that was because I was just getting better from a medical condition and I was just trying to enjoy life. I just wanted to spend time with my girlfriend. Overall, I've been working really hard. I know I'm not dumb. I didn't go to a good high school so I never got to develop learning/study skills. I had to start from bottom classes in college just to get to the college level courses. For example, I finally made it to Calculus and that's a big achievement for me (started at Algebra II in college). So I believe a lot of the bad grades are due to being inexperienced in achieving academic excellence.

Thank you for the motivation. I'm not going to give up. I don't care how long it takes me and what I have to do to become a doctor, I'll keep fighting for it. :)

If you can spin it, then you can win it. If asked, I wouldnt admit that my Cs were due to laziness.
Quite a few of the lower tiered MD schools are within range if you manage a 3.5
You just have to put more of an effort on the MCAT. Maybe look into a gap year to strengthen your application and give yourself dedicated MCAT study time.

Im not very knowledgeable on the DO application process but I am sure you will hear back from multiple schools if you apply through AACOMAS, provided you have a good MCAT score.

2 C from hard professors.

Don't fall back to blaming others when your performance doesn't meet your expectations or ability.

There are many people who have much, much worse academic records than what you describe and have still been accepted to medical school. They overcame the shortcomings on their transcripts by taking responsibility for them. Everybody fails at something; those that succeed do so because they are accountable, determined, and persistent.

You'll be fine if do the same.