Is This Really Just Bad Luck?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

etngu

The Ritual of Infinity
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I'm really not trying to offend anyone. But I'm really starting to go insane and have become depressed with this process. Right now I'm waiting for a March decision from UM and I have a Stanford interview early Feb. Considering the fact that I got rejected from my own school, UVA, and have been getting pushed back by UM, I feel like I'm most likely not getting into Stanford either.

I came in thinking I had a really good shot at a lot of the schools I applied to, and now I'm starting to think about re-applying. My numbers are good (higher than any school's average I believe) and I have a good amount of research, clinical, volunteering, etc. (I've listed everything on mdapps).

I had several friends and our premed advisor and even two of my professors read my personal statement, and they said it was good. I know that my rec letters are really good. I just don't get it.....what's missing? I'm sure a lot of schools reject people who wouldn't be "fit" for their school. But I was under the impression that that occured mostly during the interview phase.

Is this pretty normal or am I just getting really crappy luck?

Members don't see this ad.

You numbers look great. I hope you get a spot...

First, I'm really not trying to offend anyone. But I'm really starting to go insane and have become depressed with this process. Right now I'm waiting for a March decision from UM and I have a Stanford interview early Feb. Considering the fact that I got rejected from my own school, UVA, and have been getting pushed back by UM, I feel like I'm most likely not getting into Stanford either.

I came in thinking I had a really good shot at a lot of the schools I applied to, and now I'm starting to think about re-applying. My numbers are good (higher than any school's average I believe) and I have a good amount of research, clinical, volunteering, etc. (I've listed everything on mdapps).

I had several friends and our premed advisor and even two of my professors read my personal statement, and they said it was good. I know that my rec letters are really good. I just don't get it.....what's missing? I'm sure a lot of schools reject people who wouldn't be "fit" for their school. But I was under the impression that that occured mostly during the interview phase.

Is this pretty normal or am I just getting really crappy luck?

To be honest, there really is nothing normal about the process.

Your stats are great, and just inferring from your profile, I'm sure you would excel in all aspects of the med school application, but to say that luck (or better yet probability) plays a small factor is a lie.

The only flaw I can muster is that your list of schools is a bit top-heavy, but it's too late to fix that now.

As trite as it may sound, don't lose hope. You'd be surprised how quick something can slip away if you stop believing and start questioning. The process is far from over, and you still have interviews lined up. You're in a better position than most, and I suggest you research these schools, learn why they would be a fit etc. and have the best interviews you possibly can.

With that said, this process is random, and re-applying could be a harsh reality. You won't have to think about that for now though, just think about the interviews for now.

Not to mention that being a re-applicant has its advantages. A person on this forum (dopaminesurge) failed to get in last year despite having great stats and, from what I can judge, a great personality. This year she's doing better and I think that she got in somewhere already.

Simply put, probability plays a part, but you still have some good opportunities lined up.
-Dr. P.

Members don't see this ad :)
keep the faith :)

I mean...if someone like you doesn't get in, then I would have no chance either.

Dr. P, Thanks for the comments. I actually just have one interview ahead of me, and I'm certainly going to prepare as best as I can for that. Since I've been complete everywhere for more than two months, I don't think I'm getting any more interviews. I don't really know how I can improve much for next year either. I keep thinking that there's either something wrong with my app that I've totally missed (and then I think if that were the case I wouldn't get an interview at Stanford), or that this is just the result of the randomness element; that's really what's driving me nuts. Well, good luck to you and everyone else and have a happy holiday.

Perhaps you could call/write some of the non top-1o schools you've submitted secondaries to and express your specific interest in their school (ie. I love your school and would be very likely to attend if accepted because ______)? I don't know if it would help but it couldn't hurt...

Keep on truckin cause a lot of the schools you listed are far from being done with their interviews.

If worst comes to worst, which I kinda doubt, but if you find yourself on the outside looking in, call up or write the schools, say you were very interested in that school, you're sorry it didn't work out and you'd like to know why you didn't get accepted so that you can work on that and hopefully apply next year with more success.

Some schools might be very helpful in saying what you're missing.

Oh and if you're interested in a career in academic medicine, make sure Stanford knows how exciting research is for you