Is this schedule doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A Doctor Maybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking a 3 year pre-med program and condensing it into 3 semesters. This is the only way, or I will have to pursue other careers.

SPRING 2015

Bio1 w/ LAB
Gen Chem 1 w/ LAB
Physics w/ LAB
Upper level business Class

SUMMER 2015

Gen chem 2 w/ LAB
Orgo 1 w/ LAB

FALL 2015

Physics 2 LAB
Genetics LAB
Orgo 2 LAB
Upper level business class

Spring 2016

Biochem
Cell Bio
Easy Elective (3 credit)
Easy Elective (1 credit)
STUDY FOR MCAT

Apply to med school

---

How brutal is this schedule? Would it be manageable while being an RA at my school? I am in a significant time crunch so it really is either get through this schedule or pursue big pharma business side.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That makes it harder but it should still be doable if you put in the time.

You can take Orgo without completing both gen chems?

Reactions: 2 users
Seems fine to me. Sticking with 4 classes per semester is perfectly doable.

The schedule is certainly doable, but don't neglect extracurriculars, volunteer hours, research, shadowing, etc. Those are what will give you a truly unique application.

The schedule is certainly doable, but don't neglect extracurriculars, volunteer hours, research, shadowing, etc. Those are what will give you a truly unique application.

I have non-healthcare volunteer hours from the past couple years already. I plan to shadow this winter and next winter. On top of that I am pretty involved in extracurricular on campus. I will, however, need to get in healthcare volunteering hours one summer as well.

I probably will pass on research and hope it doesn't keep me from getting interviews/acceptances, though.

Reactions: 1 user
It's okay not to have research. I didn't, and I have had 3 interviews already, plus another one coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but does genetics = Bio2?

This is exactly how my schedule was with only a few exceptions. I took biochem 1 and 2 with cell bio, animal behavior, and neuropsychology in the same semester. My cGPA was a 3.56, but my sGPA was a 3.87. It's definitely doable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does genetics = Bio2?
They probably had her skip bio 2 since not much of it is on the MCAT and since she won't be getting a degree in Biology, bio 2 isn't required for her, so Genetics would be more beneficial in her case. This was my case, Finance major and skipped bio2 to Genetics, though I switched to Micro/Immuno and had to take bio 2...

I wouldn't attempt a schedule like that, but then again you might be smarter than me. However, why on earth are you making this a whole "I have to get these prereqs done in x years" game? Do you realize that people decide to go to Medical in their 40's because they don't like the daily routines of their office jobs? This isn't a race......

Reactions: 1 users
Did you already graduate? Your schedule literally looks like you're majoring in solely "premed" and I've seen premed majors with a lot more classes than this.

Did you already graduate? Your schedule literally looks like you're majoring in solely "premed" and I've seen premed majors with a lot more classes than this.

I will be graduating from business school upon completion of these pre-med classes. I could graduate this year with a double business major if I don't pursue the path to medical school.

I wouldn't attempt a schedule like that, but then again you might be smarter than me. However, why on earth are you making this a whole "I have to get these prereqs done in x years" game? Do you realize that people decide to go to Medical in their 40's because they don't like the daily routines of their office jobs? This isn't a race......

My parents are pretty strongly against this. I can convince them to let me stay a 5th year (on my own dollar) but if I take longer than that they are going to essentially abandon me in this area.

Yeah it looks doable for sure.. all those labs are gonna suck though. I guess it depends on how much time they take per school but I'm absolutely hating having just two labs this semester (physicsI and orgoII)

Yeah it looks doable for sure.. all those labs are gonna suck though. I guess it depends on how much time they take per school but I'm absolutely hating having just two labs this semester (physicsI and orgoII)

As long as it can be done. I don't have much of a social life as it is so it would just mean less video games if anything, haha!

My parents are pretty strongly against this. I can convince them to let me stay a 5th year (on my own dollar) but if I take longer than that they are going to essentially abandon me in this area.
Have your parents applied to Medical school before?

Even if they did apply to medical schools, I'm sure they're still too far enough removed from the process to understand.

There's only one way to find out!

My parents did not, which is why they are against this. Specifically, My dad tells me I'm not smart enough, as "doctors come from doctor families, which we are not." I just tell him my grandpa was a dentist from HYP but he says that is too far removed and doesn't count.

The entire thing is ridiculous lol

My parents did not, which is why they are against this. Specifically, My dad tells me I'm not smart enough, as "doctors come from doctor families, which we are not." I just tell him my grandpa was a dentist from HYP but he says that is too far removed and doesn't count.

The entire thing is ridiculous lol
Your parents sound like they're fun at parties hah! If you read a bunch of threads on SDN, you will see that there are people who failed high school/college and then went on to become Doctors. Basically, if you want to become a Physician, you will.......and that's the end of the story.

are you going to self-study psych & sociology?

It depends on your intelligence level and how much you procrastinate ...

I have seen students do pre med/BS degree in 2 years (one did it while working 15+ hr/week and taking 25+ credit hours per semester) and some do it in 5+ years.