Is this score OK or trouble???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nineinchnails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 35M.

I am worried about the M for writing sample, its pretty bad....does anyone think this is a real hinderance, or is it not that important? I thought the numbers were mostly what they consider, I had....

P13 B12 V10

Let me know what you think

Members don't see this ad.

nineinchnails said:
I got a 35M.

I am worried about the M for writing sample, its pretty bad....does anyone think this is a real hinderance, or is it not that important? I thought the numbers were mostly what they consider, I had....

P13 B12 V10

I guess we have the same composite score, 'cause I got 34N (11P, 12B, 11V). If you're American, then I wouldn't worry too much about the M. I'm Canadian, though, and a lot of med schools here have cutoffs of N or O, or even P, I think I've seen. The lowest cutoff I've seen in Canada is M, so unless you're Canadian, I think you're good.

Of course, there have been threads about this before. Check them out.

nineinchnails said:
I got a 35M.

P13 B12 V10

There's no way I would risk the 35 part by retaking just to fix the M, so just run with it.

I hate rhetoric, and it shows. I got an 'N' on the writing sample, but I'm happily in med school now. I don't think anyone cared about it. I was never asked about it in interviews, and many congratulated me on having a good score (which was lower than yours, btw). 35 is an awesome score, so I wouldn't risk it by retaking.

I did work extra hard on the AMCAS essay and essays in secondaries - just to show I could put together a coherent paragraph.

Members don't see this ad :)
nineinchnails said:
I got a 35M.

P13 B12 V10

Write a beautiful personal statement and you'll more than make up for it with a 35, no worries and goodluck :luck:

Don't worry about it AT ALL. I don't even remember what I got on my writing...I think a Q? But I would gladly trade my 29Q for your 35M anyday :p

I'm a fourth year medical student and am presently sitting on the admissions committee at my school. I can only tell you what I was told by our school: We use the MCAT score, in addition to GPA to decide who gets interview invites and, ultimately, to decide who is offered admission. The writing score is only used as a way to differentiate between candidates wo are equal in all other respects. Thus, a 35 MCAT score will, in all likelyhood, high enough to invalidate the need for the writing sample tie-breaker.

nineinchnails said:
I got a 35M.

P13 B12 V10

quit bragging

PittMedicine said:
quit bragging

you made many more posts about your 30, 4.0. ironic.

The OP may not know that the writing section doesn't really matter.

Life is not worth living with that score.

If I got a 35, I would have killed myself because it would have been really low according to my standards.

But I got a 25...

killing was the most extreme course of action I could think of if I got a 35, But what do I do now?

please help me!

:laugh:

Like my fellow Canadian mentioned, the writing sample is only taken into consideration by Canadian Med schools and some American schools so you should fine.

Worst case scenario, they decide whether you are articulate during the interview.

you are fine. the writing sample only differentiates between applicants of similar calibur. You will be fine