Is this something to put on my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Imani44

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work part-time in the food industry and was recently offered a promotion to shift leader. Shift leading at my job is a lot of responsibility because I would be running the store during night shifts when the general manager doesn't work. The problem is with school being full time, volunteering, and everything that comes with being pre-med I'm not sure if taking the position is worth it. I would need to work atleast 20 hours a week. Would this leadership position be an impressive thing to point on my app?
Would it be worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be notable, but if it caused you significant hardship in other areas of your life, I would advise against taking the position. Honestly, I had nail-bitingly small "leadership experience" on my app, and I did just fine. You will, too, either way. :)

Would it be impressive that you're a shift leader? Probably not so much.

Would it be impressive that you're able to balance work, academics, and extracurriculars without them suffering? You betcha.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it look nice? Sure. Would it look better to have good grades, because you have time to study and sleep? You bet. By a lot.

You're the only one that knows how you can handle it. It's not clinically related, and will not be one of your most meaningful activities (or...it might?)

The point, is that if you can handle it by NOT letting your grades slip, then sure, you may put it on. If it causes a reduction in your grades and or quality of life (sleep deprivation, etc.), then it's absolutely not worth it. In the end, that title doesn't really matter. You work part-time, while being a full-time student, and being committed to ECs. They know you are busy. Have leadership in OTHER places. Maybe you've held smaller leadership positions in your current job title.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I think that if it hampers your academics I wouldn't do it, unless you have no other leadership experience. From top tier to bottom, I know many people in medical school who haven't worked an honest day in their lives. But if you don't have any leadership experience and you could still do well while working the 20hr/wk, it would be worth doing to put in your application and talk about at interviews as a unique experience you have.

Maybe it's not true as it's an anecdote, but it seemed interviewers and people in general were more impressed by my academic and non-time-intensive things (e.g. grades, school organizations, honor's, research, shadowing) on my application rather than things I spent 60+hrs/wk (work, extracurricular activities) on in addition to school (40hrs/wk, full-time, 3 labs/semester). I think this was particularly true with work, as my extracurricular activities were brought up a decent amount, but no one seemed to care about how much I worked even though I did so extensively during my education.

It's a bit backwards to me, as I personally have much more respect for someone working a significant job outside of academics and still doing well. I think this might actually be a product of how poorly AMCAS organizes things. It's difficult to see a student's rigor in their coursework and parallel that with their activities at that time. I believe AMCAS should incorporate an application timeline that compiles Courses and Activities on it. This is considering they already do hrs/wk in the activities section. But I doubt they will. With that in mind, I think it's best to limit your work unless it provides something truly unique, you need the money, or it's an on-campus job that limits commuting, allows for studying, is minimal hours, etc.

Would it look nice? Sure. Would it look better to have good grades, because you have time to study and sleep? You bet. By a lot.

Basically, this.

Edit: elaboration

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I work part-time in the food industry and was recently offered a promotion to shift leader. Shift leading at my job is a lot of responsibility because I would be running the store during night shifts when the general manager doesn't work. The problem is with school being full time, volunteering, and everything that comes with being pre-med I'm not sure if taking the position is worth it. I would need to work atleast 20 hours a week. Would this leadership position be an impressive thing to point on my app?
Would it be worth it?
If your GPA is going to drop as a consequence of working 20 hours per week, it won't be worth it. If you have other leadership and aspire to consideration by schools that mention leadership in their mission statement, you may already have that territory covered.

Thanks everyone, this was definitely really helpful!

It's a leadership position, adcoms love that ish

Yes.

Would it be worth it?

GPA and MCAT are your first priority. Everything else comes after that.

However, not only will this allow you to show leadership, working in fast food will probably endear you to adcoms and act as an element of verifiability to your "economically disadvantaged" background. There's been a lot of political attention given to fast food workers and their financial hardships as of late and it would set you apart from the legions of applicants whose parents were doctors and they've never worked a day in their lives.

Reactions: 1 user