Is this the way to go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a journalism major because I like it, and a biology minor. In the future I will most likely end up being a sports doc. I was wondering, do you think it would be too much to double minor (both in bio and in sports management). I'm feeling as though if I double minor, adcoms would think that I am really indecisive, since journ, bio, and sports manage, really are not related. I really want to be a physician, I'm just interested in a lot of things. I've been writing since high school, and I really love sports. Anyway, I'm looking for some advice.

Thanks in advance!! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever you want. Adcoms dont really read too much into stuff like that. Step back for just a moment, put yourself in the role of a person reading some applicaitons. Ask yourself if it would really seem "indecisive." I dont think so.

hi,

i think not only should you do it, it may even make you a more interesting candidate. how many thousands of plain old bio majors apply to med school? i was one... but journalism, with a minor in bio and a minor in sports management, well, that makes you stand out. incidentally, i think this is a good combination for other reasons, like the dearth of good science journalists we currently have (IMHO). good luck, i hope you make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it sounds like a wonderful idea for the following reasons:

1) it will enable you to spend your university years doing something you love

2) AdComs don't really care much what you major in and rather than looking indecisive, it makes you look "well rounded" (ahh..the holy grail of med school applicants)

3) those are practical degrees which can serve you well in the job marketplace should you NOT get into medical school.

Do it IF you want to, can spare the time and expense of an additional minor and enjoy the topics. Don't do it because you think you MUST have a bio (or other science) minor to get into medical school.

Best of luck!

Indecisive is the last thing someone would think about double majors. If anything it shows that you have diverse interests and are willing to pursue them further than if you had not majored in those subjects.

As I seem to be in a depressive/pessimistic frame of mind here, I'll throw this out.

I think your idea is a good one, for many of the reasons KimberliCox listed. But make sure that you don't think "well-rounded" will do one stinking little thing for you at many schools. You can have an app that is six pages long, filled with extra curriculars, honors, experience, you name it, and if you don't pass the little numbers filter for GPA and MCAT, it won't help you.

have fun in college, but never lose sight of your grades and test scores and how they will impact your future choices.

best to you,
electra