Is this tie too informal for an interview at an MD school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

pKirin

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure you could get away with it, but I'm in the category of people who think that the admissions process is difficult enough without making things harder on yourself. Why not just get a plain tie in a neutral color(s)? I'd also go with the light blue or get a white shirt.

Your goal is not to "[not] stand out nearly as much as some other ties out there," your goal is to have interviewers note that you're dressed professionally and not think any more about what you're wearing.

Reactions: 1 users
No dark gray shirts, please! Light blue would be a fine choice.

The tie would be okay if you haven't anything else but it does seem to be a bit "spring time" in its feel and given that most interviews are in the Fall/Winter, it might look out of place. A solid color tie is safe and a striped tie can look good. Some people can get away with a tie that has a tiny pattern on it -- school shields or other little symbols. Just don't choose it to show off what school you go to-- that's douchey.

That said, I have little fashion sense and I'm pretty liberal in what I consider appropriate.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Probably would be a very small impression in your case, leaving you asking the question "am I in yet?"
oh-snap.gif

Reactions: 7 users
Gosh, why would you want to wear that?

One longtime director of admissions mentioned at a presentation that on every interview day she notices the men with dark blue socks instead of black as well as always someone who leaves their fly open

Uh huh so I left my fly open at my last interview and noticed when I went to the bathroom :arghh:

They haven’t rejected me yet, maybe they liked what they saw ;)

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Not as bad as a bolo tie
I wonder if in western states it is acceptable to wear bolo ties to any kind of interview..
Hmmm

Members don't see this ad :)
The personal flare, I would leave for the socks they're visible at times but not right in your face like a tie (mine had lightning bolts)

Reactions: 1 user
okay so I wandered in here and thought it was the Vegas Knights Twitter minder but it was GONNIF?! :eek: Did Gonnif move to Vegas and start Twitter handling for the new NHL team?:lol:

One longtime director of admissions mentioned at a presentation that on every interview day she notices the men with dark blue socks instead of black
Not to derail, but isn't that a legit issue if the interviewee is even mildly colorblind?

Not to derail, but isn't that a legit issue if the interviewee is even mildly colorblind?
Critical thinking: A person who is colorblind does not distinguish between colors. most commonly it is red/green colorblindness. Would a person who is colorblind have the ability to appreciate the color of your socks?

892A9866-Edit.jpg

Just like the header says, is this tie too informal? It looks great in real life, and I've even gotten some compliments on the tie when I wore it out in public. To me, it doesn't stand out nearly as much as some other ties out there.
I have a navy-blue suit, and I would wear either a light blue or dark grey shirt with it. Thoughts?
Great tie! wear it with confidence!

Critical thinking: A person who is colorblind does not distinguish between colors. most commonly it is red/green colorblindness. Would a person who is colorblind have the ability to appreciate the color of your socks?

I think he meant the applicant. As in the applicant is color blind and can't appreciate the difference.

Of course if you know you're color blind (and I'm assuming you would), you could just ask a friend to make sure the socks are good.

I think he meant the applicant. As in the applicant is color blind and can't appreciate the difference.

Of course if you know you're color blind (and I'm assuming you would), you could just ask a friend to make sure the socks are good.
Or buy only one color of socks so no matching necessary.

Yes that's what I meant. I've known many a colorblind person where navy blue and blacks run together. The interviewer presented in this case was effectively rejecting all of the navy blue's so it seemed unfair to the students who may be mildly colorblind.

Honestly it may not even be a perceived issue for a colorblind applicant. "Oh nobody is going to see my socks an issue; they're suuuper close if I'm even wrong. They'll understand. "

Or buy only one color of socks so no matching necessary.
I'm not going to lie, this comes across super privileged to me. Growing up poor, socks were basically the staple of our household outside of food. We didn't really have the luxury of getting the specific shade of socks that we needed. Socks were freaking AMAZING to get at Christmastime. Often times there were mismatched, hand-me-down, socks because we couldn't afford the electricity or the water to wash all the socks at one time. The idea of buying your way out of a problem should probably raise a red flag out of "wait this might be privileged" to you. To be frank @LizzyM , I usually appreciate your snark and find it funny but I'm not exactly sure you realize your audience here. The way I was raised was "dark navy blue is the same as black because nobody will ever notice". I presented the mildly-colorblind argument as a perfectly legitimate reason that someone could make the mistake and shouldn't be insta-rejected. You discarded my argument and substituted a refutation that didn't even recognize the issue at hand.

Edit: formatting and letter

Last edited:
You've never dealt with laundry goblins, have you?
he was talking brand new socks at the store... goblins don't hit stores up (yet)

I'm not going to lie, this comes across super privileged to me. Growing up poor, socks were basically the staple of our household outside of food. We didn't really have the luxury of getting the specific shade of socks that we needed. Socks were freaking AMAZING to get at Christmastime. Often times there were mismatched, hand-me-down, socks because we couldn't afford the electricity or the water to wash all the socks at one time. The idea of buying your way out of a problem should probably raise a red flag out of "wait this might be privileged" to you. To be frank @LizzyM , I usually appreciate your snark and find it funny but I'm not exactly sure you realize your audience here. The way I was raised was "dark navy blue is the same as black because nobody will ever notice". I presented the mildly-colorblind argument as a perfectly legitimate reason that someone could make the mistake and shouldn't be insta-rejected. You discarded my argument and substituted a refutation that didn't even recognize the issue at hand.

If you are in a position to apply to medical school and you don't have a pair of "good socks", maybe you need to examine your financial priorities. I'm serious. I get "growing up" poor but by the time you are an applicant, you should have the means to acquire a pair of socks. I don't get hung up about black vs blue... hell, I've never even noticed anyone's socks.

Reactions: 4 users