Is this too in depth for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreparationIsKey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I was wondering if the MCAT 2015 will be expecting us to know this question or a question such depth into viruses.

---Question starts here:

Some viruses can be crystallized and their structures analyzed. One such virus is Desmodium, or yellow mottle virus, which infects beans. This is a member of the tymovirus group and has a single-stranded RNA genome of ~6,300 nucleotides. Its virion is 25—30 nm in diameter, and is made up of 180 copies of a single capsid protein that self-associate to form each capsomere, which has icosahedral symmetry with 20 facets.

28) If this virus has capsomeres with 20 facets, how many proteins form each one?
A) 1
B) 5
C) ~6
D) ~20
E) ~180

---Mind you this is very extensive into the anatomy of the virus. I've read the 2015 MCAT PDF. Although it does state that we need to know viruses I wouldn't say to this extent. What do you guys say?

P.S. The answer is C.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure..
how do you get the answer for this?? is this a straight recall problem or something you derive from the question??

Members don't see this ad :)
180 total proteins.
20 proteins per facet.

180 / 20 = 9 proteins per facet.

6 is closest to 9. Pick 6.

(You gotta figure that the answer is a little below the calculated value because the virus is obviously not one big capid. The "missing" proteins in this case must go towards other viral structures).

I don't see why this is so hard. It's more of a critical thinking problem than a knowledge problem.

Reactions: 1 user
180 total proteins.
20 proteins per facet.

180 / 20 = 9 proteins per facet.

6 is closest to 9. Pick 6.

(You gotta figure that the answer is a little below the calculated value because the virus is obviously not one big capid. The "missing" proteins in this case must go towards other viral structures).

I don't see why this is so hard. It's more of a critical thinking problem than a knowledge problem.

Good point.