Is this too light of a course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilmiscassie92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am signed up for 13 credits next semester (4 classes plus one lab). I'm wondering if I should take 16 and sign up for another class or if it's really not that big of a deal. This is my second year as a pre-med student. Besides school next semester, I will be volunteering once a week (4 hours) at a hospital and part of 2 EC/organizations at school. I'm wondering what else I need to be doing? Last semester I was a UTA, so I know that counts as a "leadership" position, but I'm not sure if just these EC's will be alright for next semester.

Members don't see this ad.

1) If you can handle a course overload, there's no reason you shouldn't take an extra course or two.
2) From the looks of it, volunteering at a hospital is a solid clinical experience, serving your school is a solid leadership experience, and contributing meaningfully to your campus community is expected. Do as much as you can to make your mark on campus.

I am signed up for 13 credits next semester (4 classes plus one lab). I'm wondering if I should take 16 and sign up for another class or if it's really not that big of a deal. This is my second year as a pre-med student. Besides school next semester, I will be volunteering once a week (4 hours) at a hospital and part of 2 EC/organizations at school. I'm wondering what else I need to be doing? Last semester I was a UTA, so I know that counts as a "leadership" position, but I'm not sure if just these EC's will be alright for next semester.

Your schedule sounds like what every well-balanced pre-med should take. If you can handle 16 credit hour, do it since you can take some fun classes down the line your senior year like ballroom dance!:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
depends, if its 1 science course and 3 other gen eds it might be kinda light...i did that one semester and it was a fun semester bc it wasn't that stressful. I'd recommend 13-15, i personally try to do 14-15 a semester and than a class or two every summer (GPA boost or gen ed)

1) If you can handle a course overload, there's no reason you shouldn't take an extra course or two.
2) From the looks of it, volunteering at a hospital is a solid clinical experience, serving your school is a solid leadership experience, and contributing meaningfully to your campus community is expected. Do as much as you can to make your mark on campus.

There you go! :)

Well I'm taking Chem 2 (with lab) so that's 4 credits. And then I'm taking Ecology but it doesn't have a lab - it's an upper division bio class (341). And then two gen eds. I'm contemplating on whether or not I should take a third gen ed or join another club or something EC..

It might be worth just tacking on an extra class you KNOW you'll get an A in. That said, a buddy of mine took 11 credits one semester, and he got in to two schools.
I'm not sure if they look THAT close at the exact breakdown of each semester on your transcript. I think they look in broader strokes. Maybe upon later analysis they look super close, but by then you have already blown them away with your astounding interview skills.

Well I'm taking Chem 2 (with lab) so that's 4 credits. And then I'm taking Ecology but it doesn't have a lab - it's an upper division bio class (341). And then two gen eds. I'm contemplating on whether or not I should take a third gen ed or join another club or something EC..

I would do an EC just to keep your GPA up. Seriously, I've made the wrong decisions before with class schedules. :D