Is this too much course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheXc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next Fall I'll be taking (sophmore year - Quarters):
Organic Chemistry - 1st quarter - 4 credits
Analytical Chem - 5 credits
Physics (I believe calc based -1st quarter) - 5 credits
Calc (1st quarter) - 5 credits

This adds up to be 19 credit hours for fall quarter (I will also be working about 5-10hrs on the weekend for food and gas money).

Looking at this...it looks like a crazy schedule. Unfortunately all of these are series (except for analytical) and prereqs for higher level chem courses. This is basicaly due to me placing low in math. This is to graduate within 4 years. I still need to volunteer and look for research opportunities (looking into going MD/PhD).

EDIT: On a second look, it looks like pretty much the rest of my schooling is going to look similar to this. Is this normal..I have been only taking 15 credit hours/quarter.

Members don't see this ad.

Analytical is probably the easiest Chem class that you will take, Physics I is basically high school physics, and depending on the level of Calculus, that may not be too bad either. So basically Orgo. Sounds good to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait...you haven't taken calc yet and you're taking calc based physics?

..yeah, good luck with that one

That schedule is going to hurt if you aren't strong in math. Do you need to take calc based physics instead of college physics for your degree? Could the analytical chem wait? It's not just that the classes are all math heavy, but that you will also be spending a lot of time in lab.

This may be the time to consider whether you really want to push through in four years, or take a little longer to get your degree. I'm not saying that it's an impossible load, just that it will seem like it if you aren't used to it and aren't strong in math.

Analytical is probably the easiest Chem class that you will take, Physics I is basically high school physics, and depending on the level of Calculus, that may not be too bad either. So basically Orgo. Sounds good to me.

I don't know what yak is talking about... Your class load seems really tough.... I'd rethink just about all of it.

wait...you haven't taken calc yet and you're taking calc based physics?

..yeah, good luck with that one

I took calc in high school, so I am familiar with it. I placed low in math placement because I took the test drunk (yes serious, but I have changed my ways).

I guess Analytical chem is what I am worried about. I do not know anyone who has taken it so I'm not sure how hard it will be. Thanks for all responses.

That schedule is going to hurt if you aren't strong in math. Do you need to take calc based physics instead of college physics for your degree? Could the analytical chem wait? It's not just that the classes are all math heavy, but that you will also be spending a lot of time in lab.

This may be the time to consider whether you really want to push through in four years, or take a little longer to get your degree. I'm not saying that it's an impossible load, just that it will seem like it if you aren't used to it and aren't strong in math.

I actualy do not mind math (part of the reason I am pursuing Chem instead of bio). I have a basic understanding of calc.

Two annoying chem classes=torture. Spare yourself and take analytical later.

One of my friends is taking this semester: Orgo 2, Phy 2 both with labs Analytical Chem and English 2 and shes doing fine. Phy is not calc based tho .. but english is time consuming.. papers and what not so maybe it can compare somewhat? why dont u just take some summer courses if u wanna graduate on time? thats prob a better idea.. esp since u may work 5-10 hrs a week.

Two annoying chem classes=torture. Spare yourself and take analytical later.

The only other time would be in the spring (when I am in the last quarter of all theses classes).

I think I could probably do it.... just want to hear some other peoples experiences who took a similar schedule.

Yes. But hey if you can pull it off go for it.

Analytical is probably one of the most nit-pickety courses you will ever take, next to instrumental analysis. If you are taking the lab, it takes a lot of time in lab (especially if you screw up) and lab reports can be tedious. If you are familiar with calculus I would take the course. However, it doesn't look bad if you don't take calculus based physics. If you must, then you must.

I took Organic with Physics and Calc II/III and did perfectly fine (my best semesters actually). However, it was a lot of work. I think the schedule may be a bit pro-active. I'd get rid of one class and take it at a later time.

The thing is, if you think you will struggle with ANY of the classes, you are absolutely going to kill your semesters GPA. Because that class and all classes will take a hit. Its a risk.

The question is how good are you at the stuff your taking? Is Calc going to be a breeze since you already took it? If it is a calc-based physics class, then you should be very comfortable with calc. How are you at physics? What are you thinking about organic? If you are just an average student in math, you are going to get railed. I can tell you that now. Moreover, if you think you might struggle with ANY of the classes, get out now. Jumping from 15 to 19 hours is a leap. You might get caught flat footed. However, if you think that 1) you can absorb all the material fairly easily, 2) you can handle all the labs, 3) you are good at math, 4) that your previous 15 hr. semesters were a breeze, and 5) can go through the entire semester clear headed, then go for it. I took 19 hrs one semester my Fr. year and I did fine, although I wanted to kill myself by the end. It takes a toll on your patience and emotions.

You never really know how you will handle organic. I think organic is actually pretty easy. It, essentially, is a math class. You are given a bunch of tools you have to memorize. Then you have to use those tools in a problem-solving manner.

This was my semester:

400 level bio +lab
Organic II+lab
Calc Physics E&M+lab
Ecology&Evolution+lab. 18 credits.

Last sem.:
Organic I+lab
Genetics+lab
Modern Algebra
upper level english 17 credits

Neither were impossible. The labs are the worst because they take and require so much time for so little credit. I was also working in the lab both semesters.

If you have not already been involved in research, you should absolutely drop a class and do research instead. You are already at a significant disadvantage if you have not started in research by your Soph. year for MD/PhD. With 19 hours there is almost no way you will have time to work in a lab. If you are truely interested in MD/PhD, you need to dedicate this summer and early next semester into getting into a lab!

That list seems fully loaded. The question is, it too much for you? I would make sure you do not have any significant extracurricular commitments that will detract from your academic performance this semester. Otherwise, you will be majorly (if that is a word) shooting yourself in the foot!! Yikes!!

Anyways, good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
That load is breezy. Think positive and you can do it. I think we all know getting an A in an undergrad class simply involves not playing games 5 hours a night. (make it every other night)

Just be glad you aren't already working in a lab with a professor trying to get published at the same time.

oh and... welcome to premed. Now go have a cookie and start studying.

I'm sure this is school dependent, and I didn't take analytical, but I knew a few people here who thought organic was a breeze and analytical made them want to die. I'd reconsider your schedule. Taking extra time in undergrad isn't that bad, it'll give you more time to make the other aspects of your application stronger.

Next Fall I'll be taking (sophmore year - Quarters):
Organic Chemistry - 1st quarter - 4 credits
Analytical Chem - 5 credits
Physics (I believe calc based -1st quarter) - 5 credits
Calc (1st quarter) - 5 credits

Definitely a full schedule, but doable. Most engineering majors hit a few semesters like this. They're a challenge, but you will have a full yr of college experience and have [hopefully] been able to gauge your study habits and manage your time by your sophomore yr.

Also, if you've had experience with any of these courses in high school, then the college course (although more challenging) should still feel like a pseudo-review of the material.

As for analytical chem, i think this is school dependent as mentioned above. At my undergrad, it was tedious and time-consuming (labs are all about significant figures, measuring exact quantities, etc), but easier than organic.

What's your major? Are you sure you need calc-based physics? It calc-based is not required for the MCAT. You need-only take trig-based physics.

Taking 19 credits AND working sounds like a bit much. Not to say that it can't be done, but how are you going to find time for volunteering/extracurriculars AND keep your GPA up?

Usually people can complete all the requirements in 4 years, but perhaps it will take you doing one semester in the summer or something. You can definitely push Anal. Chem off a semester or so, so why don't you do that and perhaps put a 2 credit gen-ed or something in it's place?

I would say yes. I'm taking 18 hours this quarter and regretting it, and 2 of my classes are "cake" classes!

What's your major? Are you sure you need calc-based physics? It calc-based is not required for the MCAT. You need-only take trig-based physics.

Taking 19 credits AND working sounds like a bit much. Not to say that it can't be done, but how are you going to find time for volunteering/extracurriculars AND keep your GPA up?

Usually people can complete all the requirements in 4 years, but perhaps it will take you doing one semester in the summer or something. You can definitely push Anal. Chem off a semester or so, so why don't you do that and perhaps put a 2 credit gen-ed or something in it's place?

I am a chem major (calc based physics is a requirement).

I am thinking about extending graduation from 4 to 5 years. This will hopefuly give me a better chance to keep my gpa high, and more researching. Does this look bad for admission though? (taking five years instead of four)

Thanks for all the comments....still more soul searching to do I guess.

I think it seems fine. The problem with working in credit-hours is that it's misleading. Different colleges give a different number of credit-hours for the same course. At my college that course load would be 12 credit-hours (assuming that all but CALC have labs).

So no, 12 credits is not too much while working part time.

Don't you have any gen ed classes you need to take? Taking only math and science classes can get you into a little bit of trouble. Even if you can handle them, it's nice to have something to switch too when you are sick of doing math.

My freshman year I had a 3.8..I thought college was easy. So first semester soph. year I took Calc II, Organic, Cell Bio, and Applied Matrix Algebra. I ended up screwing all the classes up b/c I just didn't have enough time (I was also playing varsity soccer, and pledging a sorority). Plus there was no variation in my studying...everything seemed the same and just ran together, either math or science, no class where I could take a break and be creative or think outside the box, everything had a specific answer.

Try substituting one of those classes for a philosophy or English class, something where you'll have to use a different part of your brain.

Don't you have any gen ed classes you need to take?

Try substituting one of those classes for a philosophy or English class, something where you'll have to use a different part of your brain.

I have a few left, however those four classes are prereqs for my higher level chem courses. Analytical chem is only offered Fall and spring quarters (so i could take it with the begining of the ochem, physics and calc series or at the end).

I just wrote out everything and basicaly I can drop analytical chem for one year and it will set me back to a five year program. However if I did that, I would not replace it with some gen ed class, I would probably just focus on organic chemistry, physics and calc.

I'm sure this is school dependent, and I didn't take analytical, but I knew a few people here who thought organic was a breeze and analytical made them want to die. I'd reconsider your schedule. Taking extra time in undergrad isn't that bad, it'll give you more time to make the other aspects of your application stronger.
I second the organic being easy relative to analytical. With Organic its all interconnected. Analytical, not so much...

you're completely fine. i'm taking 22 hours this semester AND had the mcat to take and i'm surviving. i'm just about done and i should be finishing with a 4.0 this semester. it's all about time management. i actually do better in classes when i'm more busy because i have to prioritize. when i have a lighter schedule i get lazy and slack off and do just mediocre.

the classes i'm taking are vert. anatomy, virology, medical botany, protist evolution/ecology, and 6 credits of a foreign language. i also had the mcat that i just took last week and like i said i'm doing fine. you'll be fine.

if you've already taken HS calc, then you'll be fine. college calc is easier than HS calc IMO. calc is really easy...especially if it's calc1. calc3 is easy, so you should be good. physics will be annoying at times but you'll be fine. ochem you'll have to work at and i hear analytical is annoying as ****. so it's really those chem classes that you'll have to work at. that's DEFINITELY managable. honestly, every single one of my semseters post-freshman year in college have been equal to or worse than what you're gonna take and i've been fine. so good luck.