Is this true? My senior friend who already go into medical school was saying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexfoleyc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
that med school admissions would rather see someone with a 3.6 CUM GPA with a heavy science courseload (assuming non-science major) in addition to the premed classes than someone who has a 3.85 Cum GPA with the regualr premed classes? For example:

Applicant A: Non-science major, satisfied premed classes, took 2 or 3 advance science classes like cell biology, biochemistry, etc..and has a cum gpa of 3.6 and a bcmp of 3.55

Applicant B: Non-science major, satisfied premed classes, DID NOT take any advance science class..and has a cum gpa of 3.85 and a bcmp of 3.67

--Now, I understand there are a lot more factors to consider, but lets just look at the initial factors. So, lets assume both applicants have the same MCAT score (30), good LORs, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

that med school admissions would rather see someone with a 3.6 CUM GPA with a heavy science courseload (assuming non-science major) in addition to the premed classes than someone who has a 3.85 Cum GPA with the regualr premed classes? For example:

Applicant A: Non-science major, satisfied premed classes, took 2 or 3 advance science classes like cell biology, biochemistry, etc..and has a cum gpa of 3.6 and a bcmp of 3.55

Applicant B: Non-science major, satisfied premed classes, DID NOT take any advance science class..and has a cum gpa of 3.85 and a bcmp of 3.67

--Now, I understand there are a lot more factors to consider, but lets just look at the initial factors. So, lets assume both applicants have the same MCAT score (30), good LORs, etc...

I think those two applicants would be on pretty even ground given equal MCAT, EC, PS, and letters. Maybe a slight advantage to the one who has the 3.85.

Med School Apps are the most random thing since RNG... actually RNGs are more easily predictable...:laugh:

There is no rhyme or reason to what med schools look for... so don't worry about these things and just do your best...

Although the best would be a 4.0:rolleyes:...Just saying...

Members don't see this ad :)
Med School Apps are the most random thing since RNG... actually RNGs are more easily predictable...:laugh:

There is no rhyme or reason to what med schools look for... so don't worry about these things and just do your best...

I guess youre right..

I seriously doubt it. Sounds like your "friend" is rationalizing a weaker than average matriculant GPA...

If anything, the applicant in your example with the higher GPA will stand out more. Plenty of people with non-science backgrounds go through post bacc programs taking nothing but the mininum standard pre-reqs and they get interviews and admissions at every medical school.

Take your friend's comparison (in fact, apply this to all of these simplified comparisons) with a grain of salt. You quite simply cannot omit everything else and expect to clearly define the better candidate from a few select factors. Moreover, even if those were the only factors that adcoms considered in selecting candidates, they would both be treated differently at different medical schools in ways that we cannot even imagine. Thus, there is no way to tell which one has the advantage, since one candidate's advantage at school A may be considered a disadvantage at school B.

So, unless someone here can somehow determine the decision-making processes of every medical school in the country, all we can do is speculate, which is far more likely to breed preoccupation and neuroticism than actual facts. You are advised to simply develop the strongest application possible while simultaneously following your interests. And whether or not that leads you to take advanced science courses is of little importance; what matters far more is that you are interested in what you are studying.

As L2D would say, Medical School applications/admissions are not at all random. You're just on the wrong side of the fence to be able to see what's going on.

Take your friend's comparison (in fact, apply this to all of these simplified comparisons) with a grain of salt. You quite simply cannot omit everything else and expect to clearly define the better candidate from a few select factors. Moreover, even if those were the only factors that adcoms considered in selecting candidates, they would both be treated differently at different medical schools in ways that we cannot even imagine. Thus, there is no way to tell which one has the advantage, since one candidate's advantage at school A may be considered a disadvantage at school B.

So, unless someone here can somehow determine the decision-making processes of every medical school in the country, all we can do is speculate, which is far more likely to breed preoccupation and neuroticism than actual facts. You are advised to simply develop the strongest application possible while simultaneously following your interests. And whether or not that leads you to take advanced science courses is of little importance; what matters far more is that you are interested in what you are studying.

Nobody suggests "omitting" the other factors, simply using the "all else being equal" standard for isolating everything but the grades. In that case, as I said, the applicant will "stand out more" but I did not take it a step further and say that would make said applicant a "better candidate."

For many med schools, grades and MCAT are the first cut, so I would give the advantage to the person in the above example with the higher grades to make it past more "first cuts" than the fella with the lower GPA, all else being equal. This could translate to more interviews without necessarily conferring a higher degree of ultimate success.