Is this type of update allowed??? or completely unconventional???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IlaEm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know people generally update schools when they have a new research/volunteer experience, get published....etc.

I was hoping for your advice on the following.

I had an IRB audit at work (I am a clinical research coordinator) and received very high praises for my work and professionalism. The auditor spoke to one of my co-workers who then emailed the compliments to my boss (the P.I.) who then called me a "superstar." Can I update schools with the entire email thread? It consists of completely unprovoked compliments which I think look great. However I'm not sure what it would look like to send an email thread to schools saying "Hey, look what my co-workers and boss just said about me!!!!!! I'm awesome! :D"

Any thoughts! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

if you can get the PI to write an update letter for you, that might be your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you forward it, they may not trust that it's genuine. You also might be violating company policies about confidentiality. Either the PI should forward that email thread directly to the medical schools, or preferably write a letter.

I wouldn't send it at all if you already have a LoR from your boss tho...seems kind of redundant.

Thanks for the help! Yes, my boss was one of my letter writers. I'll probably end up calling the schools and asking if update letters from a letter writer is allowed. If they are not allowed, should I give up on the idea of using this or are there any other options?

Thanks again!:)

Thanks for the help! Yes, my boss was one of my letter writers. I'll probably end up calling the schools and asking if update letters from a letter writer is allowed. If they are not allowed, should I give up on the idea of using this or are there any other options?

Thanks again!:)

The answer is yes.