Is this typical?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Columbia's Financial Aid booklet, financial aid packages are sent out around mid-May to new students.

Unfortunately, this is right about the time (or even after the time) you have to rescind other acceptances in order to get your deposit back.

Well, that stinks. Do I just have to suck it up and surrender the hope of getting my deposits back? Is anyone else in the same boat? Are other schools' financial aid packages mailed out any earlier?

Members don't see this ad.

what u might want to find out is if Columbia follows the may 15th deadline. since its not AMCAS you might get away with holding onto a school that you would go to if columbia's finaid package sucked

good luck

I've actually heard that Columbia allows people to hold another acceptance after the May 15 deadline since it is non-AMCAS (got this from threads about Columbia's wait list last year). However, I do think that many of us on the waitlists at schools would rather appreciate you having one acceptance after may 15 so that we can get on board.. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SachinG
I've actually heard that Columbia allows people to hold another acceptance after the May 15 deadline since it is non-AMCAS (got this from threads about Columbia's wait list last year). However, I do think that many of us on the waitlists at schools would rather appreciate you having one acceptance after may 15 so that we can get on board.. ;)

Oh, of course...

my main concern is not being able to decide on a school (based on finances) in time to get the deposits back from the other schools.

Grrr.

Originally posted by SarahGM
According to Columbia's Financial Aid booklet, financial aid packages are sent out around mid-May to new students.

Yale's financial aid office sent us this link which was really helpful:

http://www.finaid.org/calculators/finaidestimate.phtml

Use "institutional methodology" and you can estimate your expected family contribution. I don't know how Columbia's financial aid operates but if they have some sort of unit loan figure, then I think it is relatively easy to calculate your estimated debt.