Is this volunteering a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1xDMEM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about volunteering with an NGO that does outreach to male prostitutes in Thailand. It's a bit of a sensitive issue because it's A) foreign B) has to do with the sex trade/industry C) homosexual prostitutes. I think it'd be a good experience because I could tie in my passion for AIDS/HIV prevention, and I had a very good experience volunteering abroad before.

Is doing something this sensitive (non-PC) weird? Will I be questioned on why I didn't do more of it in the States, etc.? Has anyone done any volunteering along these lines?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about volunteering with an NGO that does outreach to male prostitutes in Thailand. It's a bit of a sensitive issue because it's A) foreign B) has to do with the sex trade/industry C) homosexual prostitutes. I think it'd be a good experience because I could tie in my passion for AIDS/HIV prevention, and I had a very good experience volunteering abroad before.

Is doing something this sensitive (non-PC) weird? Will I be questioned on why I didn't do more of it in the States, etc.? Has anyone done any volunteering along these lines?

Why don't you work on Amnesty International or Human Rights? They are the leaders in AIDS/HIV prevention. You are more like a Human Rights kind of guy rather than a doctor.

I can't recall ever having seen an application describing that type of voluneering. Therer are similar issues here in the States but a concern and an involvement in issues abroad is not a bad thing. The knowledge you gain there can even be helpful here in the US if you are called to care for patients who have traveled to Thailand for sex.