Is this what disadvantaged means?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicole004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this seems repetitive but AMCAS is really unclear on the topic...

My parents are together, they made 60K avg for my life with a family of 5 and my dad paying child support for 2 more. My mother was on food stamps for three years when I was a baby and living with my her and my grandmother in NYC. We moved to a semi-rural area (dirt roads etc.) of mixed incomes (middle class to trailer parks). I went to the public high school which was not complete crap but not the best and graduated #1 in my class with no AP credits. Test prep and tutors were impossible and college was paid for with loans and a couple scholarships. I worked in high school and somewhat in college but stopped to focus on school.

any advice is greatly appreciated!! thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Kinda similar to my story, except I continued to work in college and that I got thru college with grants + scholarship + job. I didn't feel I was disadvantaged because my parents made the best efforts to provide us the needs. If you feel that you didn't have adequate health care or food or other basic necessities, I think you should put down disadvantaged.

My parents are together, they made 60K avg for my life with a family of 5 and my dad paying child support for 2 more. My mother was on food stamps for three years when I was a baby and living with my her and my grandmother in NYC. We moved to a semi-rural area (dirt roads etc.) of mixed incomes (middle class to trailer parks). I went to the public high school which was not complete crap but not the best and graduated #1 in my class with no AP credits. Test prep and tutors were impossible and college was paid for with loans and a couple scholarships. I worked in high school and somewhat in college but stopped to focus on school.

I'd say yes. If you qualified for food stamps and could not afford tutoring and ever worried about having food on the table, you're disadvantaged.

Just a heads up - having to take out loans for college does not make one disadvantaged. I don't know where you live, but 60k is a good income. The median US income was 46.3k in 2005 (http://images.google.com/imgres?img...tribution&hl=en&rlz=1T4SUNA_enUS254US256&um=1)

You mentioned there were some lows- food stamps, living in a trailer park. Those could count as disadvantaged. To claim disadvantaged status, you must write an essay stating why and how it has negatively impacted your progress. I mentioned the above so that you do not write that in the essay.