1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Is this worth postponing my primary?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by KnowledgeOfSelf, Apr 8, 2007.

1. KnowledgeOfSelf

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm planning on reapplying to med school this year and I want to do my primary as early as possible. However, I'm going to be volunteering in Tanzania over the summer and I know that I'll want to write about it. Should I just refer to my plans in my primary and then write about my trip in my secondaries? Thanks for your advice!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

How long is your trip? I would be very hesitant to wait until returning, say, in mid July since it will take you a significant amount of time to fill out AMCAS and then a significant amount of time for AAMC to process your application. On the other hand, quite a few schools don't require essays for secondaries (Harvard, Penn, and NYU come to mind from personal experience) and it'd be a shame to miss writing about a significant experience.

4. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It seems like a great experience, but it probably shouldn't be the basis of your personal statement (since it's happening in the middle of your second app cycle). It might be better to apply early and use the PS to discuss your motivations and experiences in medicine (you can explain a little about how this future trip fits in). You can talk about it more in your secondaries and interviews. Good luck.

5. KnowledgeOfSelf

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So the trip is in August for 3 weeks. I think I'm just going to bring it up, but save all the stories for my secondaries and (hopefully!) interviews. Thanks guys for the advice!

6. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That seems like the best plan to me....submitting your primary at the end of August (which would mean getting verified sometime late Sept/early Oct) is pushing it.

A lot of secondaries had an essay asking applicants who were not currently in school to explain what they were doing/what their plans for the year were--that would be a perfect place to slip in something about your trip. If all else fails, you can also send an update letter describing your experience.

7. Kfire326

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You could always write a letter about it later and send it to the schools.

8. LolaGene

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    definitely submit the primary ASAP (perhaps mention it in your activities and talk about it in the future tense). Then you have material to elaborate upon for secondaries. you have an advantage by submitting early to rolling schools!

9. Phillyborn

Phillyborn illadelphia
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why would you want to go to Tanzania for 3 weeks? I would put off writing about it until you actually experience it.

10. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just out of curiosity, are you going to Tanzania with ISL? I went there with the organization 2 yrs ago. It was a great experience. I wrote about it in some of my 2ndaries and it came up in one of my interviews.

I doubt the reviewers look at that section of the application for very long. My school actually recommends submitting a resume w/ your secondary to make sure they look at your ECs. You could include your experience there. Apply early, you'll have other opportunities to talk about the experience later.