gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was working in the anatomy lab alone and at the end while I was cleaning the equipment, I went to turn the sink off, but turned the handle the wrong way and got splashed all around my face full of water. There was no equipment in the sink, I had already taken everything out. I'm assuming there is probably no exposure risk from this incident but I was just wondering if you guys would personally report this or not?

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't see what there is to report. You got splashed by water that was touching a sink that at one time was holding equipment that at one time was in contact with a cadaver that was chemically fixed?

notbobtrustme

Crux Terminatus
Removed
Account on Hold
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
you should report it just to be sure. never know when a case of super-aids will ruin your weekend.

Reactions: GroverPsychMD

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
The first time that my face got splashed by cadavers it grossed me out. By the tenth time I was used to it.

ulikedaggers

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jul 3, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I was hoping this thread was some juicy story about naughty things your classmates were doing in the lab. Sad.

OP
gregoryhouse

gregoryhouse

Head of the Department of Diagnostic Medicine
Nov 6, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I suspected I was being overly paranoid. Thanks fellas

Southplains

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We had a massive spill out on a poor girl this year. I guess two people dropped each end of the tank at the same time and a tidal wave occurred. But the funniest moment was during the pelvic dissection; we're instructed to bisect the pelvis with the cadaver literally half way off the tank, with students supporting the legs for when one of them is cut free. One group chose poorly in assigning this task and the person lost grip/control, dropped the cadaver, and it basically stood up and then face planted on the floor.

evilbooyaa

Staff member
7+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was expecting SO much better of a story. OP, you're fine. Getting splashed with cadaver maple syrup is a privilege.

Fox800

That drug that starts with "d"...
10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Deep in the heart of queso.
Status
Attending Physician
I reckon that all of your school's cadavers are tested for bloodborne diseases...ours are. You should be fine. E-mail your faculty if you're really worried.

alamo4

Dudeist
5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2011
Islets of Langerhans (we have lovely beaches)
Status
Medical Student
Most schools have their cadavers screened for hep C & HIV, just in case (you can ask to confirm), and then fixed in formalin. After fixation, it would be very hard to catch anything from a cadaver, even if you cut yourself on a scalpel or needle stick yourself putting sutures in a cadaver.

You can report it, but if the material is hep & HIV negative, the exposures people don't do very much.

Staradmiral

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
My netter's atlas probably still has microscopic traces of brain tissue in it. Just wash up and go home. all the cadavers are dead so dont worry about any bloodborne pathogens

Akali

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I don't think it matters. You're essentially already dead.

On a slightly related note, I told my tankmates I would drink some of the cadaver fluid for a dollar. They wouldn't go for it though.