Is this worth sending an update letter about?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainWEMT

Directorate of Disgruntled Cat Toys
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just found out earlier today that I have earned my school's highest academic standing at the end of the third year award. I have already earned two of these for freshman and sophomore year. Most of my medical school applications have been with the schools for at least a month, with some of them approaching the two month mark. Based on this timeline/the circumstances would it be worth it/appropriate to send a brief update about this award to any of these schools that are receptive? Would it also be appropriate to send it as an update to the school that I interviewed at in August?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I just found out earlier today that I have earned my school's highest academic standing at the end of the third year award. I have already earned two of these for freshman and sophomore year. Most of my medical school applications have been with the schools for at least a month, with some of them approaching the two month mark. Based on this timeline/the circumstances would it be worth it/appropriate to send a brief update about this award to any of these schools that are receptive? Would it also be appropriate to send it as an update to the school that I interviewed at in August?

you should update them, but I wouldn't expect anything concrete from that. But tie in your interest of the school when you update them too.

I just found out earlier today that I have earned my school's highest academic standing at the end of the third year award. I have already earned two of these for freshman and sophomore year. Most of my medical school applications have been with the schools for at least a month, with some of them approaching the two month mark. Based on this timeline/the circumstances
1) would it be worth it/appropriate to send a brief update about this award to any of these schools that are receptive?
2) Would it also be appropriate to send it as an update to the school that I interviewed at in August?
1) No.
2) No.

This award will not add to your candidacy, as your application GPAs say what needed to be said. Unless some of your schools have state they welcome expressions of ongoing interest and/or updates, I would refrain. For such schools, you might add other information like augmentations of already-listed activities that are pertinent, but it's still early to send in that sort of letter.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Highest academic standing like some sort of weird pre-Summa cum laude (one of ~100 people with >3.9) or highest academic standing like "only person who got a 4.0 in the entire department"?

If it was just you, update them with a letter. If it was you and 100 people, nobody cares, we already know you have a good GPA.

I personally sent an update letter in ~ Feb or Mar but it was because I had been a significant part of two national award-winning teams.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Nope

Reactions: 1 users
Highest academic standing like some sort of weird pre-Summa cum laude (one of ~100 people with >3.9) or highest academic standing like "only person who got a 4.0 in the entire department"?

If it was just you, update them with a letter. If it was you and 100 people, nobody cares, we already know you have a good GPA.

I personally sent an update letter in ~ Feb or Mar but it was because I had been a significant part of two national award-winning teams.
Junior Phi Beta Kappa (top 2%, early version of Phi Beta Kappa where the remaining 8% of the top 10% of class are announced in the spring) might possibly be significant enough to be part of an update, but that doesn't even get announced until December usually, haha.

Thank you for the feedback everyone! I have decided not to send it as an update.

My school is really small, so once a year the awards committee meets and decides who is the top and second from the top student in each class. Generally, both candidates have 4.0 GPA’s and the decision is made based upon credit hours and number of A+’s. Once you hit third year there are 2 categories: one for bachelor’s students and one for professional students, so in each class year there are 2 top students.

Reactions: 1 user