Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Is This Worthy of a Pre-Med's Time/ Is this Even Research?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by GallbLad, 01.14.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. GallbLad

GallbLad Account on Hold Account on Hold

Pre-Medical
    edit: answered

Last edited: 01.14.14
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Reckoner

Reckoner Lacks theology and geometry Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Does the project interest you? If so, it's a good use of your time.

ETA: Yes that's research, and yes it's more than "worthy of your time." I don't know if you intended to sound so condescending, but you would do well to approach future endeavors with a less entitled attitude.

Last edited: 01.14.14
    xiwang, darklabel and AquiVoy13 like this.
  4. medmedman

medmedman 7+ Year Member

absolutely not true.

Throw away this perspective of "if it's not clinical, it's not useful/good use of your time/not the best thing for med school."
    If you like what you're doing then do it. If it interests you then do it. Med schools don't care what kind of research you do. They care about why you did the research and what you got out of it - both of which will show if you are interested in it. Trust me when I say that just because your research doesn't consist of a test tube that its somehow less important in the eyes of med schools than someone who did his research in a lab.

SN12357 likes this.
  5. SN12357

SN12357 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you're just doing straight data entry, that's not a great role to have, although that's sometimes where you have to start to get more experience. If you're coding the data or gathering it, that's a higher level of involvement.

But don't be bull**** airquoting 'research'. It's research. Research doesn't have to be clinical or medically related to have value either in general or to premeds specifically.

6. justAstudent

justAstudent SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Like others before me have stated, it doesn't have to be medical or clinically oriented to be considered research. As long as you're interested and something you like, I would say do it.

About the ads