Is This Worthy of a Pre-Med's Time/ Is this Even Research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GallbLad

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit: answered

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a soon-to-be intern for a "research" project in which kids from a low socioeconomic family will be recorded in their performance in school and social interaction abilities. I will be the one basically entering data in a computer.

From what I've been told by my school advisors, this is not in a clinical setting or related to medicine, and, therefore, not a good use of my time.

Is this true?
Does the project interest you? If so, it's a good use of your time.

ETA: Yes that's research, and yes it's more than "worthy of your time." I don't know if you intended to sound so condescending, but you would do well to approach future endeavors with a less entitled attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I am a soon-to-be intern for a "research" project in which kids from a low socioeconomic family will be recorded in their performance in school and social interaction abilities. I will be the one basically entering data in a computer.

From what I've been told by my school advisors, this is not in a clinical setting or related to medicine, and, therefore, not a good use of my time.

Is this true?
absolutely not true.

Throw away this perspective of "if it's not clinical, it's not useful/good use of your time/not the best thing for med school."
If you like what you're doing then do it. If it interests you then do it. Med schools don't care what kind of research you do. They care about why you did the research and what you got out of it - both of which will show if you are interested in it. Trust me when I say that just because your research doesn't consist of a test tube that its somehow less important in the eyes of med schools than someone who did his research in a lab.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Is this true?

If you're just doing straight data entry, that's not a great role to have, although that's sometimes where you have to start to get more experience. If you're coding the data or gathering it, that's a higher level of involvement.

But don't be bull**** airquoting 'research'. It's research. Research doesn't have to be clinical or medically related to have value either in general or to premeds specifically.

Like others before me have stated, it doesn't have to be medical or clinically oriented to be considered research. As long as you're interested and something you like, I would say do it.