Is Touro Middletown a good school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starlord321

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have an acceptance to Touro-Middletown and was wondering about people’s opinions about it? I have read a few bad things on it on SDN and in general and am a little worried.

I applied late into the cycle because I took the MCAT pretty late. Because family and friends urged me to apply to DO schools I applied to the ones currently available, only like 5 schools. I got interviews at every school such as Lecom, Touro, and ICOM. I was accepted to Touro. I am a little apprehensive because I want to get a quality education and is Middletown a good place to get one?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I have an acceptance to Touro-Middletown and was wondering about people’s opinions about it? I have read a few bad things on it on SDN and in general and am a little worried.

I applied late into the cycle because I took the MCAT pretty late. Because family and friends urged me to apply to DO schools I applied to the ones currently available, only like 5 schools. I got interviews at every school such as Lecom, Touro, and ICOM. I was accepted to Touro. I am a little apprehensive because I want to get a quality education and is Middletown a good place to get one?

I believe there are multiple factors you have to consider. Yes Middletown doesn't have the reputation Harlem does but then again they are a new school so it might be a little too early to tell. From what I saw they had a pretty decent match this year which is great considering they just graduated their first class if I'm not mistaken. However, I do believe that if you have a good GPA and MCAT score and are able to apply to MD schools (especially your state school) I would say don't rush it and apply early this cycle. Although, there is a risk in doing that since you have already been accepted to a school and if you don't get in to an MD school you will probably be applying DO again and might have to explain why you turned down an acceptance this year. There are also factors you have to consider that make the school a "good school" or not. I personally believe it is mainly about "fit". For the most part DO schools will provide very similar educations. It really comes down to tuition and fees, quality of clinical rotations, if you have a family and things like relocation to other parts of the country.. etc. If you enjoyed your interview and got a good vibe from the school and are ok with the tuition AND truly want to be a DO (the part about your family urging you to apply sounds a little like you weren't all that into it) then I say go for it. Just remember, you are investing a lot of money into your education and I believe you are the only one that can judge if being a physician (DO) is worth it all. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your advice. Yes I was thinking of possibly reapplying to MD’s, but it’s hard since I already told my family that I got in and they’re estactic. My dads a physician so he just tells me to go wherever I get in.

I feel like the fit is alright. The location of the school is decent... idk the school itself looks like it’s a deserted area in the middle of nowhere. But the Middletown seems kinda like a nice town.. and an hour and a half from manhattan which isn’t bad. I heard about problems with rotations, like students having trouble getting ones they want, etc., do you know anything about that? I’m fine with being a DO, the education is around the same besides learning OMM. But I’m worried about being able to match into a competitive field and going to a good program for residency.. also the comlex pass rates really worry me as well. Their step 1 is like 96% but it goes downhill from there. I know Harlem might be the only with the scores released but I think there’s like a 20% fail rate for step 3? And step 2 isn’t very good either. How the hell is it so low?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice. Yes I was thinking of possibly reapplying to MD’s, but it’s hard since I already told my family that I got in and they’re estactic. My dads a physician so he just tells me to go wherever I get in.

I feel like the fit is alright. The location of the school is decent... idk the school itself looks like it’s a deserted area in the middle of nowhere. But the Middletown seems kinda like a nice town.. and an hour and a half from manhattan which isn’t bad. I heard about problems with rotations, like students having trouble getting ones they want, etc., do you know anything about that? I’m fine with being a DO, the education is around the same besides learning OMM. But I’m worried about being able to match into a competitive field and going to a good program for residency.. also the comlex pass rates really worry me as well. Their step 1 is like 96% but it goes downhill from there. I know Harlem might be the only with the scores released but I think there’s like a 20% fail rate for step 3? And step 2 isn’t very good either. How the hell is it so low?

Yeah I hear you man. But ultimately it is you going to med school, not anyone else in your family -- Do whats best for you. Your dad is right to a certain point. DO or MD you are a physician. However there is no denying that going MD opens you to more possibilities of being able to get into competitive specialties. Just remember one thing, MD or DO it comes down to how much work YOU not the school is willing to put in. Just going MD won't allow you to go into competitive specialties. It can however provide better research opportunities and higher quality rotations (depending on the program).

If you are dead set on being an.. e.g derm or orthopod or any other competitive specialty then maybe going MD is better for you (considering your MCAT and GPA are competitive for MD). If you are more open to other possibilities I say take the DO offer and work your tail off and maybe you can match into that as a DO (not the norm, but if you work hard it can be obtained).

I too interviewed at Touro middletown and know what you mean. I wasn't too fond of the campus and lack of data (match rates at the time since they were not yet released) in order for me to go there. Also the tuition was a little high for my liking. But like I said before, their match actually looks pretty good and the town seems pretty cool too so it really comes down to how you felt at the school.

And yes the match rates were poor but keep in mind Harlem has been a total mess. All I have ever heard is negative comments about that location so its not fair to judge middletown on their (Harlem's) performance.

Bottom line, If you are willing to go DO and accept the fact that it is harder to get into competitive specialties take the offer and work your tail off.

Reactions: 1 users
Doors close for a reason and doors open for a reason.

Remember the story about the man stuck on a roof during a flood? He turned down help from a man in a helicopter, a boat, and a kayak. “Nope, I’m waiting on God, I’m good, thanks!!!”

When he found himself suddenly in Heaven, he asked God, “Lord why didn’t you help me, I prayed so hard!”

God said, “I sent you three people....”

Case in point, you make it into where you were meant to make it into.

Any medical school is medical school. Gumption and hard work.

If you were meant to be top of the class, you will be, whether you are at MD or DO school, new school or established school.

If you are mid tier or bottom of the pack, that’s where you will be - regardless, a doctor.

Make a couple of good friends, study your butt off, and help patients one day!!

Reactions: 6 users
Doors close for a reason and doors open for a reason.

Remember the story about the man stuck on a roof during a flood? He turned down help from a man in a helicopter, a boat, and a kayak. “Nope, I’m waiting on God, I’m good, thanks!!!”

When he found himself suddenly in Heaven, he asked God, “Lord why didn’t you help me, I prayed so hard!”

God said, “I sent you three people....”

Case in point, you make it into where you were meant to make it into.

Any medical school is medical school. Gumption and hard work.

If you were meant to be top of the class, you will be, whether you are at MD or DO school, new school or established school.

If you are mid tier or bottom of the pack, that’s where you will be - regardless, a doctor.

Make a couple of good friends, study your butt off, and help patients one day!!
Thank you.