Is Tufts Worth 315k plus interest?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My job before med school gave me 2,400/mo...let's not knock the 40k/yr people :p

40k/year when you're working 80+ hours a week in a stressful environment is way different, haha. :) I agree, though....I made way less than that when I was working full-time with my BS in Psychology lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Consulting =/= Entry-Level Programming

We are living in Lubbock, though - not exactly technology epicenter of Texas. Average in Texas for a newly graduated computer programmer is ~65k - 70k. But, he definitely took the only job-opening in programming available in basically the whole town. If we were in Austin he would probably have a shot at making 75k - 80k.
$65-70k is significantly less than ~$4500/month take home? What's it work out to, $4000?

$65-70k is significantly less than ~$4500/month take home? What's it work out to, $4000?

I didn't say that's what he's making, that's the average for a Texas graduate. Like I said, though, being in Lubbock with only two programming companies you don't have that kind of pay.

I'm not arguing with you, I was just light-heartedly wishing we had that kind of cash. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I made 63k last year and I took home around 3600/month. Even though I do enjoy school around 100000x than working I do miss having a steady paycheck. :cool:

I made 63k last year and I took home around 3600/month. Even though I do enjoy school around 100000x than working I do miss having a steady paycheck. :cool:
You must have gotten screwed, that's about how much I took home at $50k/yr.

I did live in a state without state income tax, though.

A lot of worst case scenario numbers being thrown around. The real numbers are not as bad, and people will go where it makes sense. Crunch your own numbers and talk to the financial aid offices.

http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-medical-schools/debt

There are many mechanisms for loan repayment assistance for working in underserved areas for a short time, research, military service, etc... just do a little research and don't let people scare or misinform you.

http://www.lrp.nih.gov/about_the_programs/index.aspx

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

I think people also need to remember that a certain percentage of us are going to get to the end of 3rd year and realize that we are not that competitive for the money-making specialties we thought we'd be (or that we are not that interested in those specialties). You might find yourself being shunted to the dreaded primary care or something only slightly better paying, and then you are really going to be upset about your debt. Plus, all those programs that offer to pay you for "serving the community" are not ideal because they do not offer freedom of mobility. Especially if you find yourself with a spouse or fiance, you may not be able to relocate to random rural parts of middle America...If you find yourself with children, you may want to live somewhere with good public schools or with extended family that can help you raise them, and finding a place that fits that criteria and that falls in the government's criteria and that has career opportunities for your spouse may be hard. I know these are not the things a typical 20 something wants to think about, but this career path has a long and arduous training portion and you need to realize that your 30 something self is going to have a lot of wants and needs that you can't completely project right now.

You can make bank in primary care. You just have to shun the dreaded medicare/medicaid system...Get some business smarts, NOW, while you can, because it ain't popular in FP residency to discuss biz models.

After all, doctors shouldn't care about money, right? :laugh:

Better economics of your practice means better patient care. Period.

I think people also need to remember that a certain percentage of us are going to get to the end of 3rd year and realize that we are not that competitive for the money-making specialties we thought we'd be (or that we are not that interested in those specialties). You might find yourself being shunted to the dreaded primary care or something only slightly better paying, and then you are really going to be upset about your debt. Plus, all those programs that offer to pay you for "serving the community" are not ideal because they do not offer freedom of mobility. Especially if you find yourself with a spouse or fiance, you may not be able to relocate to random rural parts of middle America...If you find yourself with children, you may want to live somewhere with good public schools or with extended family that can help you raise them, and finding a place that fits that criteria and that falls in the government's criteria and that has career opportunities for your spouse may be hard. I know these are not the things a typical 20 something wants to think about, but this career path has a long and arduous training portion and you need to realize that your 30 something self is going to have a lot of wants and needs that you can't completely project right now.

You can make bank in primary care. You just have to shun the dreaded medicare/medicaid system...Get some business smarts, NOW, while you can, because it ain't popular in FP residency to discuss biz models.

After all, doctors shouldn't care about money, right? :laugh:

Better economics of your practice means better patient care. Period.

Isn't this only available to those who are able to differentiate themselves as the best of the available choices; i.e. the best doctors?

Most physicians are going to be forced to take medicare/medicaid by market forces, no?

Nope.

You can have a no hassle low pay if you keep your overhead low and mind open.

They won't teach you that in FP residency, tho. Watch out for DNP's, and you'll be fine.

Isn't this only available to those who are able to differentiate themselves as the best of the available choices; i.e. the best doctors?

Most physicians are going to be forced to take medicare/medicaid by market forces, no?

Plus this is America and everyone is in debt anyways. Take a look around...

500k mortgage,
50k car
15k credit cars

etc.. Get the point?

500k mortgage,
50k car
15k credit cars
500k In non-dischargable student loans with capitilized interest.

Sing with me now. ...."I don't want to be ....an American Idiot"...

(at least the credit card, mortgage, and car debt can be discharged under bankruptcy)

you'll have to commit suicide to make the student loans dissapear though. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
threadnecromancyjk7.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/5488/threadnecromancyjk7.jpg

"No matter the cost."

Really? What if your COA was 1 million each year and your loans averaged, say, 9%? You probably wouldn't be able to pay it back in your entire lifetime.

Last edited:
Outrageous, but no one's going to do anything about it...class size is too small for them to worry about under-filling it. Their ranking might be affected due to people choosing to go elsewhere when given the choice, but I'm not sure that matters.

Bear in mind, though, that most medical disciplines make more than that in a single year, once you become an attending. Again, the whole investment-in-yourself thing.

Hmm...this thread is pretty interesting. I'll throw my towel in and can you guys advise?

UG Debt: 30K UC Irvine (California Resident)

I'll be attending Georgetown's SMP this fall....looks like 55K In loans (tuition+Cost of living)

I don't think I can get back to the UC's, so that only leaves private medschools, such as Tufts or UIC or USC etc, and some public but I'll be an OOS

How often do students get finaid?

Thanks

PS: Much depressing thread right as I'm about to submit my AMCAS :(

It's sad, but with debt like that, people are going to have to plan way ahead to what kind of job they (reasonably) want, what state they will live in, how much they will spend on many obvious items, and figure out limits to them. I know things change, and it's difficult to predict certain things, but you should have a certain idea in mind so that you know what your debt limit should be.

Me? I'm thinking if I graduate with 200K in debt (with a bunch of help with parents), I should be able to stay under the Stafford limit each year, and if I work and live in a rural area I should be able to live a good lifestyle, while still making payments and saving up a decent amount, and I'm planning on going into Internal Medicine, and this is assuming no spouse to help out with stuff. So, it's tough, but you can't run into it blindly thinking that derm or ortho surgery will solve it all.

From a purely financial standpoint I agree with you. But, there is more to medicine than money. Some of us want to pursue it as a career regardless of the cost. I'm an example. I already have another career and am financially well compensate (approx. 100k). I do NOT have an advanced degree.

I will be foregoing my income for five years to pursue medicine and taking on debt. My earnings as a resident will be less than my current earnings. So, pure math says it makes no sense for me to pursue medicine. But, it's a dream of mine and a career I aspire to. Sometimes money is not the only consideration.

Wow, that is a lot of debt. Curious, have you crunched the numbers to see if medicine will be financially satisfactory for you?

I compared the salary of a petroleum engineer making 80,000 out of undergrad to a family medicine doctor and made it so both scenarios had the same expenditures (lifestyle). The doctor took a long time to catch up. I incorporated taxes and investments built up.

At some point, it would not make sense to do medicine as a career. What if current compensation didn't decrease in the future but tuition rose to 100,000 in today's dollars? If that occurs (when?) then one would have to seriously consider the military scholarships or another career.

I created a spreadsheet and I ran the numbers between a $40,000 per year school ($160,000 total), versus a $70,000 per year school ($280,000) and I really don't see a problem with the financials in either case. Both cases seem quite manageable. The numbers and calculation formulas are loose, but I'm pretty sure that they're definitely in the ballpark. To you guys who are nay saying the financials of med school, please look at these spreadsheets and tell me where you think my numbers are wrong.

lifetime financials of $160,000 in loans

lifetime financials of $280,000 in loans

(p.s. I also posted this in the other thread about the cost of med school not being worth it, because this is totally relevant to both threads.)

Last edited:
My family must be on the high side of the credit card debt line. I personally have 10k. My mother has over 30k. I have been trying to pay off my credit card debt for years (as it is all from college, I cut up my cards after that). One of my cards has had 2,500 dollars on it for 2 years. I checked the other day on how long before it would be paid off (as I can't afford over the minimum amount) and the statement said it would take 487 years, at which time I would have paid 120,000 on the original 2,500. I can't even believe this stuff is legal. Good luck getting money from me for 487 years.

My sister wound up about 5K in debt while doing undergrad and private nursing school...

This is after parents paid for undergrad + food + gas + house + allowance and everything, and is doing the same for nursing school...

Some people are horrible with money... I personally could not see paying $300,000+ for medical school, unless the military was kind enough to eat a nice chunk of that up.

What Tufts is doing is setting many of their medical students up with an unbelievable amount of debt. Many of the students also have living expenses and undergrad debt on top of that.

Could they not offer cheap or subsidized loans that wouldn't accumulate debt during school or is that just not feasible?

This medical school debt issue seems like a HUGE deal and it scares me poo-lessly.

I've seen threads like this in pre-med, med student, resident forums. All of which are very negative on having 300K debt.

So.. I guess.. yeah.. we all know most of med students these days have 200K - 300k debt. I guess people can talk about how bad it is for 5 trillion years.. I think it's better to discuss about the "solutions" to this issue so we know that even though we have astronomical amount of debt, there are ways that we can overcome that..

The solutions that I've read so far are:

1. Go to HPSA, serve for 2 - 4 yrs and let gov't get rid of ur debt
2. military
3. marry a wife/husband who makes a lot of money.. jkjk...
4. get into Rad/Onc/Cardiology/Plastic.. wellll..... sigh...
5. Make good financial choices early on - pay your debt as soon as you are done with your residency, don't buy 600 trillion ferrari enzos, don't go to the Pluto on your vacation and stuff like that
6. maybe accept your parents' kindness if they offer you to pay for your med school. That way you don't have to pay interest. Of course, pay them back.

Are there any solid advices on how to minimize the debt? Or how to most efficiently pay it back?

Edit: oh.. I guess some people who say...

7. Don't do it

This medical school debt issue seems like a HUGE deal and it scares me poo-lessly.

I've seen threads like this in pre-med, med student, resident forums. All of which are very negative on having 300K debt.

So.. I guess.. yeah.. we all know most of med students these days have 200K - 300k debt. I guess people can talk about how bad it is for 5 trillion years.. I think it's better to discuss about the "solutions" to this issue so we know that even though we have astronomical amount of debt, there are ways that we can overcome that..

The solutions that I've read so far are:

1. Go to HPSA, serve for 2 - 4 yrs and let gov't get rid of ur debt
2. military
3. marry a wife/husband who makes a lot of money.. jkjk...
4. get into Rad/Onc/Cardiology/Plastic.. wellll..... sigh...
5. Make good financial choices early on - pay your debt as soon as you are done with your residency, don't buy 600 trillion ferrari enzos, don't go to the Pluto on your vacation and stuff like that
6. maybe accept your parents' kindness if they offer you to pay for your med school. That way you don't have to pay interest. Of course, pay them back.

Are there any solid advices on how to minimize the debt? Or how to most efficiently pay it back?

Edit: oh.. I guess some people who say...

7. Don't do it

I completely disregard what other people say because #5 is always an option, yet people never consider it. Even if I had to choose between Tufts and another school with a $15-20,000 per year difference, if tufts was the school that would make me sane over the 4 strenuous years of med school, I'll take tufts. So I guess that means I'll have to do a better job of budgeting when I start residency...who cares? My sanity is worth much more than worrying about a few extra hundred dollars in loan payments each month. The only issue with #5 is that people suck at managing money, so for those people, I'd say don't go to Tufts. For those, like me, who can manage $ well and see tufts as a better personal option, go for it.

I completely disregard what other people say because #5 is always an option, yet people never consider it. Even if I had to choose between Tufts and another school with a $15-20,000 per year difference, if tufts was the school that would make me sane over the 4 strenuous years of med school, I'll take tufts. So I guess that means I'll have to do a better job of budgeting when I start residency...who cares? My sanity is worth much more than worrying about a few extra hundred dollars in loan payments each month. The only issue with #5 is that people suck at managing money, so for those people, I'd say don't go to Tufts. For those, like me, who can manage $ well and see tufts as a better personal option, go for it.

It's interesting to see pre-med students, including myself, state that they would go into medicine regardless of the cost, while the residents in their forum, when asked if they would choose medicine if the debt is 300k, 99% of the time the answer is flat simple "no" :scared: scared..

It's interesting to see pre-med students, including myself, state that they would go into medicine regardless of the cost, while the residents in their forum, when asked if they would choose medicine if the debt is 300k, 99% of the time the answer is flat simple "no" :scared: scared..

That's fine. They can say what they want. It's not ideal to be $300,000 in debt, but it's not ideal to be $200,000 in debt either. Just like someone posted above comparing the two budgets on a spreadsheet, with a smart budget, that $300,000 can be payed off in approximately 3 years more than someone who had considerably less medical school debt. Once again, I value my sanity more.

That's fine. They can say what they want. It's not ideal to be $300,000 in debt, but it's not ideal to be $200,000 in debt either. Just like someone posted above comparing the two budgets on a spreadsheet, with a smart budget, that $300,000 can be payed off in approximately 3 years more than someone who had considerably less medical school debt. Once again, I value my sanity more.

Getting shot point blank with a 9mm... Not always a big deal.

Getting shot by a 12ga 00 Buck Magnum at point blank range... Pretty damn big deal.

I would take head to what the people who've "been there done that" over what any pre-med says anyday.

Getting shot point blank with a 9mm... Not always a big deal.

Getting shot by a 12ga 00 Buck Magnum at point blank range... Pretty damn big deal.

I would take head to what the people who've "been there done that" over what any pre-med says anyday.

The people who have "been there done that" are also telling all of us that we shouldn't go into medicine at all considering the way healthcare is going right now, so should we all listen and not apply to medical school because of their experience? No. The decision to take on $300,000 in debt over $200,000 is strictly personal, just like going into medicine today or not going into it is strictly personal. No aspect of taking the $300,000 (against doctors' advice) or going into medicine in current-day America (also against doctors' advice) is going to break you. You will just have to adjust and do things a little differently. Not a problem in my opinion. I am not trying to act like $300,000 isn't a lot of money, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather pay $300,000 and be in med school than to not be in med school. Or I'd rather pay $300,000 to be at a med school that I love than $200,000 to be at a med school where I will be miserable and get burned out.

The people who have "been there done that" are also telling all of us that we shouldn't go into medicine at all considering the way healthcare is going right now, so should we all listen and not apply to medical school because of their experience? No. The decision to take on $300,000 in debt over $200,000 is strictly personal, just like going into medicine today or not going into it is strictly personal. No aspect of taking the $300,000 (against doctors' advice) or going into medicine in current-day America (also against doctors' advice) is going to break you. You will just have to adjust and do things a little differently. Not a problem in my opinion. I am not trying to act like $300,000 isn't a lot of money, but when it comes down to it, I'd rather pay $300,000 and be in med school than to not be in med school. Or I'd rather pay $300,000 to be at a med school that I love than $200,000 to be at a med school where I will be miserable and get burned out.

What is this interesting dichotomy between med schools of which you speak?

Do you really think that med schools are so different that you would preserve your sanity at Tufts (Tufts, really?) and lose it elsewhere? There is not that much of a difference between schools, and there definitely is not a difference commensurate with a $100,000 price tag increase.

What is this interesting dichotomy between med schools of which you speak?

Do you really think that med schools are so different that you would preserve your sanity at Tufts (Tufts, really?) and lose it elsewhere? There is not that much of a difference between schools, and there definitely is not a difference commensurate with a $100,000 price tag increase.

I think this is personal too. Personally, I would be miserable in a rural area. I am th epitome of a "city boy" so I would rather be in Boston than some rural city/state in which the scenery alone would make me go crazy. This is why I only applied to large, metropolitan, urban cities. I am not saying Tufts is the only choice I'd be happy with, but if I was only accepted to Tufts and, for example, university of kentucky, tufts is the easy choice. It's fine that you don't think the $100,000 increase is worth it, I do. Either way, I'm gonna have to pay off my debt in the way I know I'm capable of. Being poor is something I've been very accustomed to, so to live like I'm poor for a couple more years to pay off loans isn't an issue for me at all. In the long-run, being happy in med school will ultimately help me learn more and be the best physician I can be, thus I will probably make more money. If I'm miserable, it will affect my studies and I probably would not end up becoming the best doctor I could be and will make less money.

I think this is personal too. Personally, I would be miserable in a rural area. I am th epitome of a "city boy" so I would rather be in Boston than some rural city/state in which the scenery alone would make me go crazy. This is why I only applied to large, metropolitan, urban cities. I am not saying Tufts is the only choice I'd be happy with, but if I was only accepted to Tufts and, for example, university of kentucky, tufts is the easy choice. It's fine that you don't think the $100,000 increase is worth it, I do. Either way, I'm gonna have to pay off my debt in the way I know I'm capable of. Being poor is something I've been very accustomed to, so to live like I'm poor for a couple more years to pay off loans isn't an issue for me at all. In the long-run, being happy in med school will ultimately help me learn more and be the best physician I can be, thus I will probably make more money. If I'm miserable, it will affect my studies and I probably would not end up becoming the best doctor I could be and will make less money.

Your statements all fly in the face of the experience of pretty much anyone who has gone through the process and had to actually repay the debt. Being poor is something most students have been accustomed to, but the comfort with which you do so drops precipitously as you are working 80 hour weeks and are getting to the point where you are thinking of buying a home or starting a family.

You think your environment is going to play a significant role in your success in med school. What evidence do you have to support that? You don't have much time for things other than work during med school, especially during second and third years, so you've probably inflated the importance of city vs. rural environment.

$100,000 is a HUGE number. If you haven't worked for a living and had to repay much smaller amounts for varied reasons, you have no concept of the magnitude of that number and the misery you'll be subjecting yourself to by incurring that greater debt for a mythical "sanity" factor.

Disregard the experiences of those that have gone before you at your own peril.

Ugh, there are so many things wrong with your statements I cannot address them all. But, one glaring one I want to point out.

You "value" your environment, what do you think you are going to be doing in medical school? Going to the bars on friday nights? Hanging out at clubs/museums?

This is medical school. You are going to be inside studying. Granted, you are going to have celebrations after exams (usually with your classmates). There will be a small party, go to a local bar. Then you are back to studying the next day.

I never understand that people want to be a "certain environment" when in reality they won't be able to take advantage of it during medical school (this isn't college). The only reasons I can see for really favoring an area is spouse/family that you can't relocate and/or want to be close to family. Any other reason is ridiculous.

P.S. I got into some very 'expensive' schools (BU, Tufts, etc) and I chose a much cheaper school and I think my sanity is better because I won't becoming out of school with (300K in debt). (Trust me, I have friends at the abovementioned schools, and the debt is something that is constantly on their minds---so think about that in terms of your sanity).

Ugh, there are so many things wrong with your statements I cannot address them all. But, one glaring one I want to point out.

You "value" your environment, what do you think you are going to be doing in medical school? Going to the bars on friday nights? Hanging out at clubs/museums?

This is medical school. You are going to be inside studying. Granted, you are going to have celebrations after exams (usually with your classmates). There will be a small party, go to a local bar. Then you are back to studying the next day.

I never understand that people want to be a "certain environment" when in reality they won't be able to take advantage of it during medical school (this isn't college). The only reasons I can see for really favoring an area is spouse/family that you can't relocate and/or want to be close to family. Any other reason is ridiculous.

P.S. I got into some very 'expensive' schools (BU, Tufts, etc) and I chose a much cheaper school and I think my sanity is better because I won't becoming out of school with (300K in debt). (Trust me, I have friends at the abovementioned schools, and the debt is something that is constantly on their minds---so think about that in terms of your sanity).

It's fine that you feel that way. I feel differently. I am not making this decision for you just like you won't make a decision for me. If people consider it foolish, I'm fine with that. For the person who replied above you, no one knows my personal goals as far as starting a family and whatnot, so that is a non-issue. My whole point in everything that I've said is not that anyone else is wrong in what they believe, it is that this is a personal decision that can be managed with proper money management. No I do not expect to be going out and partying all the time, but being in a rural environment would drive me crazy. Even being indoors and knowing I'm in a rural environment would drive me crazy. So no one can say how much of an effect rural vs. city will have on me because you don't know me. People who go to Tufts eventually get out of debt a few years after. Maybe I am subconsciously biased because my gf, soon to be fiance, is also headed to med school this fall like me and will have little debt coming out due to a great scholarship, so I know we'll be able to handle my debt and her minimal undergrad debt (I have none).

It's fine that you feel that way. I feel differently. I am not making this decision for you just like you won't make a decision for me. If people consider it foolish, I'm fine with that. For the person who replied above you, no one knows my personal goals as far as starting a family and whatnot, so that is a non-issue. My whole point in everything that I've said is not that anyone else is wrong in what they believe, it is that this is a personal decision that can be managed with proper money management. No I do not expect to be going out and partying all the time, but being in a rural environment would drive me crazy. Even being indoors and knowing I'm in a rural environment would drive me crazy. So no one can say how much of an effect rural vs. city will have on me because you don't know me. People who go to Tufts eventually get out of debt a few years after. Maybe I am subconsciously biased because my gf, soon to be fiance, is also headed to med school this fall like me and will have little debt coming out due to a great scholarship, so I know we'll be able to handle my debt and her minimal undergrad debt (I have none).

Hm.. if parents can pay for med school or even ask them to get a loan, which have lower interest rate.. you would have 300K out of med school without any interest on top of it. If a person is going to 200K school with federal loan @ 7%.. Then, it will be about I think ~250K when they graduate med school.. so.. both students would be pretty much in the same shoes.. So... I think if you can ask your parents to do that, it's possible.. Of course you have to pay your parents back.. Otherwise.. the 300K debt will increase exponentially to a point where it's ridiculous..

On another note.. people can choose school X for their sanity and they maybe are willing to pay 300K. But, think about how sane you will be when you get out of that school X and are faced with 500K debt after your residency.. Then you'll go insane after your residency, which is financially catastrophically worse than going insane in med school :scared::scared::scared:

By any means.. med school is so expensive in the states.. in canada.. it's only 20K/year....:love:

Okay, we are going to play nice and say "your right there is no wrong answer" cause its your life (granted, I feel there is a right answer, but what the hell, do what you want).

Clearly, someone who can't stand being near a rural environment (I am actually a "city boy" myself), because it bothers them what is "outside their window" while there inside studying, is just not thinking logically, and will do what he/she pleases regardless of what logic anyone presents here.

Okay, we are going to play nice and say "your right there is no wrong answer" cause its your life (granted, I feel there is a right answer, but what the hell, do what you want).

Clearly, someone who can't stand being near a rural environment (I am actually a "city boy" myself), because it bothers them what is "outside their window" while there inside studying, is just not thinking logically, and will do what he/she pleases regardless of what logic anyone presents here.

Trust, I am not the type to "play nice" just because someone has an opposing viewpoint. I, in all of my responses, have spoken strictly from personal belief and feel that this is a personal decision. You say it's logic that you shouldn't even think about paying $300,000 for med school. I say it's logic that a few hundred dollars extra in loans is not going to kill me considering MY situation. I am not speaking for anyone but myself. That's why I do not disagree with your viewpoints in regards to YOUR situation. However, YOUR situation has absolutely nothing to do with MY situation. You don't know me; I don't know you. Therefore, your opinion means nothing in regards to my financial situation. So you think that two future physicians (my gf and I) with practically no undergrad debt and only med school debt for one student is going to break us? Hell naw. This is my situation and I made judgments based upon that, not what I think someone else should do. Your logic is completely based upon your personal belief without considering variables, which isn't very logical. As far as the rural vs. city thing, I know what's best for me...in my opinion choosing a school that suits my interests no matter how extreme they are is the most logical thing I could do. Just like if I know that by going to a school with a 2 year pre-clinical curriculum is going to make me stress all the time because I know I won't have as much study time for Step 1 than if I were to attend a school with a 1.5 year (Cornell) or 1.75 year (Tufts) curriculum...I would choose the reduced pre-clinical curriculum because of how I know I will personally freak out with the 2 year curriculum. As insane as that would sound, I would be doing what is in MY best interest to get through medical school with sanity and that is all that matters.

I'm the exact opposite of you guys...my mood, personality and mental health erode severely the closer to a city center my home is. I live in the country right now and I regularly go out and study on my back porch, not bothered by traffic sounds and the general, maddening minutiae of city living. And everything is cheaper - rent, food. I enjoy commuting to wherever I'm going. There's no traffic in my general area and very little in the actual city where my college is in outside of the very center. (I guess I should also admit I HATE public transportation...)

I think environment IS important...I would not enjoy living in Boston, NYC or Chicago for 4 years. It would be like my worst nightmare and I would only do it if it were my only choice. Even then I'd try to find a place with a backyard patio I could go out and relax in when I become too stressed out. When I apply to medical schools, it will be in the Midwest and anywhere that isn't a major metropolis, somewhere I can have a place of peace and quiet within reasonable commuting distance for at least the first 2 years.

I wouldn't pay 500k for it, though.

I'm the exact opposite of you guys...my mood, personality and mental health erode severely the closer to a city center my home is. I live in the country right now and I regularly go out and study on my back porch, not bothered by traffic sounds and the general, maddening minutiae of city living. And everything is cheaper - rent, food. I enjoy commuting to wherever I'm going. There's no traffic in my general area and very little in the actual city where my college is in outside of the very center. (I guess I should also admit I HATE public transportation...)

I think environment IS important...I would not enjoy living in Boston, NYC or Chicago for 4 years. It would be like my worst nightmare and I would only do it if it were my only choice. Even then I'd try to find a place with a backyard I could go out and relax in when I become too stressed out. When I apply to medical schools, it will be in the Midwest and anywhere that isn't a major metropolis, somewhere I can have a place of peace and quiet for at least the first 2 years.

Exactly! You are the exact opposite in the rural vs. city aspect, but like you said, you would be miserable in the city and that definitely counts for something in terms of sanity in medical school. I am different in that I would pay for my sanity if I know I could pay it off by good money management. Two physicians' salaries tackling only one person's medical school debt is doable.

Code:

Umm, who are you to decide what is logical and what is not? If someone prioritizes differently than you, that's their decision. To them location is important, to you it is not....Just like some people don't care about price, b/c they have money, and maybe you don't....

I completely disagree with the post above. The environment and location matter greatly. I would perform much better in medical school knowing I'm in a place that I'm not miserable in. I couldn't stand going to medical school in say Kentucky or Iowa, b/c I'd go crazy. Those would be the longest (and worst) 4 years of my life...and no not bc it is medical school.

I'll be attending Tufts med this fall. And yes the price scares me. I'm a bit lucky in the sense that I'm getting help from my parents and I made a good amount of money out of college, so I won't have that 315K figure. But I interviewed at a bunch of schools (accepted at others too) and the costs are really not that different from other private schools. What is the difference between 73K vs 70K vs 68K. All private schools (GW, Georgetown, Tulane, etc are roughly the same). Addtionally, Tufts is a solid school with a pretty good reputation.... having asked many doctors.

People should be happy with whatever choice they make. I just find it really surprising that premeds who are applying this year are saying they won't attend Tufts....You guys haven't gotten in anywhere, until you get that first one, don't bash any schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Trust, I am not the type to "play nice" just because someone has an opposing viewpoint. I, in all of my responses, have spoken strictly from personal belief and feel that this is a personal decision. You say it's logic that you shouldn't even think about paying $300,000 for med school. I say it's logic that a few hundred dollars extra in loans is not going to kill me considering MY situation. I am not speaking for anyone but myself. That's why I do not disagree with your viewpoints in regards to YOUR situation. However, YOUR situation has absolutely nothing to do with MY situation. You don't know me; I don't know you. Therefore, your opinion means nothing in regards to my financial situation. So you think that two future physicians (my gf and I) with practically no undergrad debt and only med school debt for one student is going to break us? Hell naw. This is my situation and I made judgments based upon that, not what I think someone else should do. Your logic is completely based upon your personal belief without considering variables, which isn't very logical. As far as the rural vs. city thing, I know what's best for me...in my opinion choosing a school that suits my interests no matter how extreme they are is the most logical thing I could do. Just like if I know that by going to a school with a 2 year pre-clinical curriculum is going to make me stress all the time because I know I won't have as much study time for Step 1 than if I were to attend a school with a 1.5 year (Cornell) or 1.75 year (Tufts) curriculum...I would choose the reduced pre-clinical curriculum because of how I know I will personally freak out with the 2 year curriculum. As insane as that would sound, I would be doing what is in MY best interest to get through medical school with sanity and that is all that matters.

It's one thing to have your personal opinion about what is acceptable to you, but another thing entirely to be basing that opinion on bad facts.

That you think you will be able to pay off an additional $100,000 principal that has been accumulating 8%+ interest through med school and residency at "a few hundred dollars" a month for a few years is pure fantasy. You really need to run the numbers.

It's one thing to have your personal opinion about what is acceptable to you, but another thing entirely to be basing that opinion on bad facts.

That you think you will be able to pay off an additional $100,000 principal that has been accumulating 8%+ interest through med school and residency at "a few hundred dollars" a month for a few years is pure fantasy. You really need to run the numbers.

I was just going based off of the spreadsheets someone made above. I agree, I should definitely crunch those numbers though. Whatever it will be though, I'm sure it won't be impossible to pay off considering the loans my gf and I currently have (practically none), will have in med school (she will have none), and our future financial situation.

Umm, who are you to decide what is logical and what is not? If someone prioritizes differently than you, that's their decision. To them location is important, to you it is not....Just like some people don't care about price, b/c they have money, and maybe you don't....
I completely disagree with the post above. The environment and location matter greatly. I would perform much better in medical school knowing I'm in a place that I'm not miserable in. I couldn't stand going to medical school in say Kentucky or Iowa, b/c I'd go crazy. Those would be the longest (and worst) 4 years of my life...and no not bc it is medical school.

I'll be attending Tufts med this fall. And yes the price scares me. I'm a bit lucky in the sense that I'm getting help from my parents and I made a good amount of money out of college, so I won't have that 315K figure. But I interviewed at a bunch of schools (accepted at others too) and the costs are really not that different from other private schools. What is the difference between 73K vs 70K vs 68K. All private schools (GW, Georgetown, Tulane, etc are roughly the same). Addtionally, Tufts is a solid school with a pretty good reputation.... having asked many doctors.

People should be happy with whatever choice they make. I just find it really surprising that premeds who are applying this year are saying they won't attend Tufts....You guys haven't gotten in anywhere, until you get that first one, don't bash any schools.

You're right, I think its illogical to pay an extra 100K (not a few hundred dollars as was implied by the mdbound) to go to a specific location (that one cannot take advantage of in medical schoool) for a similiar education (since allopathic schools teach the same things in different ways) so they can "feel better". Sorry about my logical fallacy :rolleyes:

Dont mean to bump a 2 year old thread but - I had to chose btw super nice location but expensive school and worst location ever but much cheaper.

I chose the worse location. I still hate this place. But my hatred of the location is <<<<<<<< knowing that I wont end up with over $200k in debt. I'm sure i'll love me more couple years down the road when I have to start paying this back.

Dont mean to bump a 2 year old thread but - I had to chose btw super nice location but expensive school and worst location ever but much cheaper.

I chose the worse location. I still hate this place. But my hatred of the location is <<<<<<<< knowing that I wont end up with over $200k in debt. I'm sure i'll love me more couple years down the road when I have to start paying this back.

lol, awesomely candid post. thanks for that.

Buy yourself a new Viper with the money you saved. :D