Is Tufts worth the money?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravellinDoc

So very very tired.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, curious to know if those of you who have interviewed at Tufts think it's worth the 35k per year? Also, does anyone know if they send out post-secondary rejections throughout the year or only at the end with everyone else? I've been complete there since Sept and haven't heard anything. Thanks!
TD

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed last year. i wouldn't say that it's worth the money unless there are some non-medical reasons for going there (e.g.- significant other, family, etc.). Also, Boston's a nice town, but I don't think it's good enough a reason to go to Tufts.

I have not interviewed at Tufts, I have been complete since October. I do however know a 1st year resident at columbia who got his MD at Tufts and said that it was worth every penny. He had a great time, and said that he felt the education itself was also great. I, however, think that it also depends on where your other offers are coming from. Perhaps if you got into a school which is on par with tufts, and costs less it might be a better choice. all in all i hear lots of good things about tufts from people who go there, even though there has been a little bit of Tufts-bashing here on SDN. ultimately it is a decision you will have to make based on A) what you think of it when you visit and B) where else you get in.
Since I also haven't heard back from them I too am curious if they have sent out any post-secondary rejections, I know a load of people who haven't heard yet, but havent heard of any rejections.
good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was deciding between Tufts, McGill, and USC and decided Tufts wasn't worth the money. First, I had a crappy interview that turned me off of the school in general. Second, I'd already been in Boston for undergrad so I wanted to try something new. I agree it's not worth it unless there's something else keeping you in Boston. But, obviously, I don't go to Tufts. I'm sure other people would say it was a good choice..especially those where it was the only school they were accepted to (like my Dad hehe).

its worth the money if thats the only school you are accepted to!!
but i'm sure if someone gets into tufts, theyll be able to get in someplace else too...

Once I got into my state schools, I declined my Tufts interview because i probably wouldn't forsake the cost of my state school education for Tufts. but if it was the only med school i got into, i'd be there in a heartbeat. It's a nice school for intensive research, academic med I've heard (affiliated with NE Med center, right?). i.e. if you want to go to primary care, it probably isn't the school for you. I think their match list is probably relatively strong, and they have some cool degree combos md/mba md/mph that they offer. plus their secondary was really easy too :) and they give you a whole slew of choices when to interview... so thumbs up for their app process!! :)

is tufts worth the money if it's the only school you get into and you don't want to wait another year trying for your state school? Sure. But I don't think anyone picks tufts over their state school or top 20 schools, unless they just have to be in boston for whatever reason.

Tufts rocks, it's location in Chinatown is kinda shaddy, but the school and training there is excellent:thumbup:

accoring to the offical website..the tuition is $39,000..that's pretty high..but it's not $60,000

Tufts is a good school, but it is TOO expensive. I interviewed there this season, and with room and board and other fees, it gets up to about $67,000 during the third and fourth years. Personally, I didn't like the school enough to pay close to $70k. But that's just my personal opinion.

I will be going to Tufts :) Either doing the whole thing in loans, or doing Army or Air Force HPSP (waiting to hear...) I think they have a good rep and a nice research/clinical mix. It's also in Boston and after being in the area for undergrad I want to stay!