Is undergrads in Canada recognised for Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dyinforMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose I do premed in Canada, will I be able to apply to US medical schools?

Or do I have to do one year atleast in USA?

Members don't see this ad.

Premed in Canada is fine. You might have to do your undergrad at one of the 17 AAMC accredited Canadian schools (though maybe not).
Here is the list of AAMC accredited Canadian schools

Members don't see this ad :)
Because I am an international student, so if I study in Canada for 2 years, I can apply for permanent residency, then I will be eligible for loans from canada.

My question is does studying in the US give me some kind of STATE advantage ?

As an international student I don't believe so...although it probably depends on the state. Most schools (except some private schools) give priority in the following order:

US Citizens/Green Card Holders who are residents of their state.
US Citizens/Green Card Holders who are out of state.
International Students.

In the US, the key thing is that you have a green card. Coming to the US as an international, it will be very hard to acquire one. Are you a Canadian? Or are you international in Canada as well?

Premed in Canada is fine. You might have to do your undergrad at one of the 17 AAMC accredited Canadian schools (though maybe not).
Here is the list of AAMC accredited Canadian schools

I applied to the US as a Canadian with a bachelor's degree from a Canadian school. It's not a problem. AAMC accreditation is not nessesary. The AAMC only accredits medical schools, this has nothing to do with the undergraduate studies at those same universities. There are universities in Canada that don't have medical schools and thus could never be accredited by the AAMC, but a degree from these schools will be accepted for US med applications.

I applied to the US as a Canadian with a bachelor's degree from a Canadian school. It's not a problem. AAMC accreditation is not nessesary. The AAMC only accredits medical schools, this has nothing to do with the undergraduate studies at those same universities. There are universities in Canada that don't have medical schools and thus could never be accredited by the AAMC, but a degree from these schools will be accepted for US med applications.

Cool. Good to know!