Is University of Missouri a good school (Mizzou)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tle1093

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Mizzou have a good medical school? I'm a Missouri resident but I go out-of-state for undergrad. I haven't heard anything about their medical school but I figured I it's my best shot at getting in. The US News thing lists it as 22nd in primary care, but those numbers are vague in my opinion.

Also, it would be great if you guys could estimate my chances. My stats are as below:

GPA: 3.67
Science: 3.6 ish
Chemical Engineering, junior
I volunteer in elderly homes, school, etc., do research, very little clinical experience but trying to get into something this summer, and I'm facing the MCAT on May 27th.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Mizzou is a fantastic med school. There isn't really such a thing as a non-fantastic American or Canadian med school.

Your chances are good as long as you score in the 30's on the MCAT and beef up your clinical experience.

I know a couple people there and it's a great school from what I hear. Training for clinical medicine is very good. Research and facilities are average.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Mizzou have a good medical school? I'm a Missouri resident but I go out-of-state for undergrad. I haven't heard anything about their medical school but I figured I it's my best shot at getting in. The US News thing lists it as 22nd in primary care, but those numbers are vague in my opinion.

Also, it would be great if you guys could estimate my chances. My stats are as below:

I volunteer in elderly homes, school, etc., do research, very little clinical experience but trying to get into something this summer, and I'm facing the MCAT on May 27th.

Thanks.

If you're wanting to go to Mizzou make sure you have a **** ton of volunteer and clinical exposure (from the impression I've gotten, research experience really doesn't matter). Academically speaking, you don't need anything terribly impressive, just as long as you're close to their median for MCAT and GPA, you should have a decent shot. Also, they tend to favor individuals who did their undergrad there as well (I guess you're SOL on that one). If you want to really throw the icing on the cake, tell them that you're interested in primary care and serving in rural areas.

If you're wanting to go to Mizzou make sure you have a **** ton of volunteer and clinical exposure (from the impression I've gotten, research experience really doesn't matter). Academically speaking, you don't need anything terribly impressive, just as long as you're close to their median for MCAT and GPA, you should have a decent shot. Also, they tend to favor individuals who did their undergrad there as well (I guess you're SOL on that one). If you want to really throw the icing on the cake, tell them that you're interested in primary care and serving in rural areas.

Actually... the numbers are very deceiving on that one. I'm sure you looked at the website and saw that most of the matriculants went to Mizzou undergrad. This is true... but because many come in from the pre-admissions programs we have (about 35). So, it kinda throws stuff off.

Thanks.

It's a very good school. Agree with the comment to beef up your clinical experiences and shadowing before you apply.

In my opinion, the only thing that separates a "good" medical school from a "bad" on is LCME accreditation. If it's accredited (and Mizzou is), then it's a good school.

Now, whether or not it's the place for you or not can only be gauge by doing some research on and visiting the school. Rankings don't mean much. It has to be judged on a person by person basis. One man's top ranked school is another man's 4-year hell hole.