Is University of South Florida medical school good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rajayya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a native of Florida. I am thinking of applying only in Florida. I am not sure if I can get selected at UF. My only choice in-state would be USF or go out-of-state.

What kind of residency programs USF have? Do the graduates get good matching in surgery fields? Can any one help?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a native of Florida. I am thinking of applying only in Florida. I am not sure if I can get selected at UF. My only choice in-state would be USF or go out-of-state.

What kind of residency programs USF have? Do the graduates get good matching in surgery fields? Can any one help?

Why not FSU? They're the ones who have impressed me the most of the Florida schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
The accreditation process is so rigorous, all American medical schools are good.

I haven't seen Miami yet, but I liked USF a lot, I think they're the best school in the state.

Not that rankings are completely reliable but UF, UM and FSU are all ranked (and in that order) but USF is not. That being said, it is a very good school.

Not that rankings are completely reliable but UF, UM and FSU are all ranked (and in that order) but USF is not. That being said, it is a very good school.

Ummm..I dont know if anyone reads this thread BUT that is interesting... which rankings are you looking at?

USF COM has been around much longer that FSU so I am surprised/impressed if FSU has surpassed USF in just a few years...

Thanks

Btw if anyone knows the ranking of medical school please post the link?

Although UF is better ranked I can tell you that USF is pretty great because you have contact with patients from day one instead of starting 3rd year like at UF. My friend goes to USF and she loves it.

I am from Miami and even though I hate it, I would choose UM over any of the other Florida schools strictly because of hospital affiliations. UM has so many opportunities and you'll have way more experiences than at some of the other schools. (I am mainly talking about UF because it's the only school I can really speak negatively about from my experiences).

Although UF is better ranked I can tell you that USF is pretty great because you have contact with patients from day one instead of starting 3rd year like at UF. My friend goes to USF and she loves it.

I am from Miami and even though I hate it, I would choose UM over any of the other Florida schools strictly because of hospital affiliations. UM has so many opportunities and you'll have way more experiences than at some of the other schools. (I am mainly talking about UF because it's the only school I can really speak negatively about from my experiences).

Yea, now that I've seen Miami, and I obviously know UF to a decent extent, I can say that Miami is the best, while UF and USF being tied for 2nd. Of the in-state schools, I haven't seen FSU, so I can't comment on them.

I would say that USF is probably number 3 in the state of florida.

1. UM
2. UF
3. USF
4. FSU
5. UCF
6. FIU

I would rank UCF and FIU last because they are new schools. But maybe in 15 years from now that will change.

I would say that USF is probably number 3 in the state of florida.

1. UM
2. UF
3. USF
4. FSU
5. UCF
6. FIU

I would rank UCF and FIU last because they are new schools. But maybe in 15 years from now that will change.

I definitely agree and I would think that there would be a gap between USF and FSU. And a huge gap between FSU and UCF/FIU!!...

1. Surgery prelim is a transitional year for surgery programs (ie plastics) who do not have dedicated intern residency positions (much like for derm where you have to do a prelim internal year before you are officially a derm resident)

2. USF is not ranked because our Dean does not believe in participating in the rankings, and thus the school does not submit the information required to be 'ranked'

3. I'm incredibly biased, because I love being at USF, but all the school in Florida will give you a strong medical education. It really depends on where you feel like your best fit it, and the only way to realize that is to go to the schools and speak with the students.

Something to keep in mind when looking at match lists - the list itself will NOT help you in figuring out how many students make it to 'prestigious' residencies. Residency selection is based on many factors, most of them the student's choice. USF has a high number of primary care matches because we have a large number of students who are sincerely interested in primary care. Also, some students do not want to do residencies in large academic settings that are generally considered the more "prestigious" residencies. What you really need to do is find residents who went to the school you are interested in, and as them if they matched into one of their top 3 residency choices and if they feel that their school prepared them for residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.