Is unpaid research non-clinical volunteering? Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

persistenceofmemory

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a nontrad and have been at an autism research lab for 1.5 years now. I thoroughly enjoy my time at the lab and have 1 abstract and I'm currently working on a paper for a clinical trial. I also attend outreach events (sheep brain dissections/informative brain games for kids) at public libraries for the lab. This has been for 10-15 hours a week thus far.

During this time I've also been a part time EEG tech and a part time student finishing up my prereqs. I am low SES and URM so cutting my work to volunteer as an RA has significantly impacted my financial situation.

I am taking 4-5 months off to study for the MCAT in May, and will continue working.

I don't want to quit the lab to pursue another volunteering position, but I will if it marks the basic checkbox off for med schools.

Would med schools consider my work at the lab as volunteering or work experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Well if you aren’t being paid it seems to me it would be volunteering. The real question I have is are you considering it research and/or nonclinical volunteering? Your “title” is research assistant so what you mainly do would be research. But your outreach at the library could easily be nonclinical volunteering. So are you thinking about splitting the time on yourcapplication? It all depends on how many hours you have amassed if you should quit. I understand the need for money so maybe see if the lab can pay you or quit and get a job. Maybe you could still go to your library gig. You seem to like it and it’s a needed service I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a nontrad and have been at an autism research lab for 1.5 years now. I thoroughly enjoy my time at the lab and have 1 abstract and I'm currently working on a paper for a clinical trial. I also attend outreach events (sheep brain dissections/informative brain games for kids) at public libraries for the lab. This has been for 10-15 hours a week thus far.

During this time I've also been a part time EEG tech and a part time student finishing up my prereqs. I am low SES and URM so cutting my work to volunteer as an RA has significantly impacted my financial situation.

I am taking 4-5 months off to study for the MCAT in May, and will continue working.

I don't want to quit the lab to pursue another volunteering position, but I will if it marks the basic checkbox off for med schools.

Would med schools consider my work at the lab as volunteering or work experience?
Nope. It's research.

Nonclinical volunteering is service on behalf of others. It's a means to demonstrate your altruism.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a nontrad and have been
-at an autism research lab for 1.5 years now. I thoroughly enjoy my time at the lab and have 1 abstract and I'm currently working on a paper for a clinical trial.
-I also attend outreach events (sheep brain dissections/informative brain games for kids) at public libraries for the lab. This has been for 10-15 hours a week thus far.

On the AMCAS application you would select the category of Research for your experience with the Autism Lab. You can make clear in the entry the % time you are working directly with research subjects that have autism.

The time spent in community outreach events should be split out and listed separately under Volunteer-Not Medical/Clinical. Don't double count the hours.

Reactions: 2 users