Is USA worth it?

Discussion in 'Australasia and Oceania' started by FelixFelicius, Jun 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelixFelicius

Hey guy,

i dont know if this is the right forum to post this question, but I am a medical student in australia, and have been considering a career in the US for the past few months. I've been looking up all the extrance exams and stuff and feel that with some study i should be able to pass them, but the thing thats on my mind is, is the US worth it? The main attraction that US has is that it has some of the worlds best hospitals and doctors, while aus is excellent as well, the US more regarded. But from what i've been told, the doctors get crappy salaries over there, compared to interns over here, who easily endup making > $75,000 in their first year out of med school. and the pay only gets better. Whats the pay like of residents in the US? And when does it start to get umm...'respectable'...?

Cheers

P.S. if this isnt the right forum for this, then please let me know where to post this!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. agranulocytosis

Fellow [Any Field]
    Try the General Residency Issues forum. BTW, isn't Adelaide one of the best cities in the world to live in? Just wondering why you'd wanna leave that.

Edit: Sorry I meant Sydney.

#2 agranulocytosis, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  4. FelixFelicius

Clearly you've never been to adelaide. its not a city, just a big village, you drive 5 ks in any direction from the city centre and end up in the country!

5. agranulocytosis

Fellow [Any Field]
    Sorry I meant Syndey. There was this list of best cities to live in that came out by some organization and I remembered Adelaide as one of them, not that it was high on the list, just that I remembered it.

6. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    pay for residents and interns generally runs between 40-50K. It is hardly respectable for the hours you are working.

However after residency there is a pretty big jump in salary.

7. peter90036

peter90036 not out fishing

Attending Physician
    and we all know that the big jump in salary is the reason to be a physician in the USA.

8. MadameLULU

MadameLULU Saucy
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    moving to a more appropriate forum.

9. neulite

neulite Graduate Student (GRII)

Pre-Medical
    I don't know about Australia but if you're going to have a good quality of life in the US it LARGELY depends on where you live. As ecclectic as the US is in terms of culture it is also very divided in terms of tolerance, so choose your region wisely.

Obviously, you may have a little input when doing residency but once you've completed your residency I think you have more of a choice. Then again, I have no idea because I'm not a US medical student.

The plus side to American medical education is the tenacity to which med students here approach their career. This is probably why we have such high standards. However, whether that is correlated with the high pay later in your career I can't comment on.

10. mac_kin

mac_kin Senior Member

Post Doc
    I would do it for a year or two for the experience. And you'll get to see a new country. Try to find a job in a well known hospital somewhere in NYC or Boston or Houston, TX. I know many of my peers here in Canada will try to get jobs for a year or two just to gain some experience and then see where they want to go from there. You might like it and decide to stay longer. Australia's not going anywhere so you can always go back. And with some US experience on your resume you might be able to get a better job back home.

I was wondering how the process is in Australia. Are there many foreign students working there? What would you say are the top hospitals in your country? I'm thinking of possibly doing a physical therapy placement in a hospital somewhere in Australia.

Thanks and Good Luck!

11. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Don't you think you're exaggerating a bit? Adelaide is like any other mid size city in the US - there is a core downtown and then suburbs.

12. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    At any rate, closing this thread because you've posted it in the Gen Res Forum as well and we do not allow cross posting on multiple forums at SDN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.