Quantcast

Is USC-LAC worth the prelim year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMbound08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions on this one. I'm just wondering if the fact that 1) this program still has the ability to get you a job wherever you want and 2) you'll enjoy life while you're in residency, outweigh the annoyance of a prelim year.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions on this one. I'm just wondering if the fact that 1) this program still has the ability to get you a job wherever you want and 2) you'll enjoy life while you're in residency, outweigh the annoyance of a prelim year.
I wouldn't buy into the one-size-fits-all theory of residencies. USC LAC is one of the best programs in the country to prepare you for a career at a smoking hot urban Level 1 trauma center. If you're looking at a rural-focused ED or a lower volume facility, training at a different program would probably better prepare you.

And as for getting you a job "wherever you want", any nationally renowned program will give you a leg up. But I think things are more regional than you might think. If you're looking in SoCal, USC LAC is great. Lots of great referrals and the EDs are going to have a long track record with grads of your program. But if you're destined for Minneapolis, Hennepin would probably carry you further. Etc. Etc.