EMbound08

10+ Year Member
Sep 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions on this one. I'm just wondering if the fact that 1) this program still has the ability to get you a job wherever you want and 2) you'll enjoy life while you're in residency, outweigh the annoyance of a prelim year.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm sure I'll get lots of opinions on this one. I'm just wondering if the fact that 1) this program still has the ability to get you a job wherever you want and 2) you'll enjoy life while you're in residency, outweigh the annoyance of a prelim year.
I wouldn't buy into the one-size-fits-all theory of residencies. USC LAC is one of the best programs in the country to prepare you for a career at a smoking hot urban Level 1 trauma center. If you're looking at a rural-focused ED or a lower volume facility, training at a different program would probably better prepare you.

And as for getting you a job "wherever you want", any nationally renowned program will give you a leg up. But I think things are more regional than you might think. If you're looking in SoCal, USC LAC is great. Lots of great referrals and the EDs are going to have a long track record with grads of your program. But if you're destined for Minneapolis, Hennepin would probably carry you further. Etc. Etc.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.