Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is USN about to change their admission criteria?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by benyben, Dec 5, 2008.

1. benyben

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hello.

Has anyone heard about USN changing - or wanting to change - their admission criteria (require a baccalaureate, pcat, and so on)?

I am hoping to apply for 2010, and it made me worried.

Thanks

2. etspinner

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Letters of recommendation, pharmacy experience or a prior degree are NOT required.The Pharmacy College Admissions Test (PCAT) will be required for fall 2010 application (www.pcatweb.info).
    That's on their website under Admissions Highlights.

3. RXsocal

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    The less they require, the higher the GPA must be. I've read a lot about the applicants who actually got accepted to USN and their GPA were generally 3.7 and above.

4. bluesickle

bluesickle ... it begins
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I heard the GPA is high because they only look at the last XX units, so if you graduated with a 2.0 GPA in underwater basket weaving at your University but received straight A's at a community college, you'll be in the pool of applicants with a 4.0 GPA.

BTW, they don't require a single letter of recommendation? That comes as a surprise to me.

5. Isoprop

Isoprop Fascinating, tell me more
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you can apply for academic forgiveness. they only consider the last 5 years of academic work. the flip side is that you have to complete all your prereqs within the last 5 years to apply.

6. bluesickle

bluesickle ... it begins
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yes, that was it ... last 5 years of coursework. It's a shame that the schools that I've applied to doesn't do that.

7. calisoca

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    This must suck for the applicants that needed a decade to complete their pre-reqs.

8. Electrode

7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Yup...but at least, it is better than most other professional programs/schools that doesn't consider it...just bluesickle said. So, it's good enough as it is(i.e. if they really "forgive" them).