Is UT School of Health Professions good for attending medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dylanation

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently attending a community college right now to get my pre-reqs out the way before transferring to a 4-year university. A few universities came on campus today and one caught my eye.

The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center School of Health Professions.

I was told that after completing my pre-reqs, I can apply for a program and be apart of a clinical setting for the next 2 years until I graduate from that clinical field of my choice. I was also told that this is a great way to be competitive in medical school.

However, other than the hands-on experience, does UT's school of health professions really prepare you for medical school? Does it prepare you for taking the MCAT? How does it look on a med school app? Has anyone been apart of these health professions schools to give some insight of how it is?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Genuinely didn’t even know this was a thing

After some googling:
- Medical schools tend not to look fondly upon traditional applicants holding a a degree in a professional subject (bachelors in radiology, lab science, etc.). The people who complete these degrees are expected to go in to that field, not use it to get to medical school
- I question if you’ll be able to complete the necessary prereqs there

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Genuinely didn’t even know this was a thing

Same! Until today of course. The representative went on to say that many people don't associate MD Anderson Cancer Center as apart of The University of Texas and vice versa.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to the above, know that a lot of med schools won't accept pre-med requirements done at a community college

In addition to the above, know that a lot of med schools won't accept pre-med requirements done at a community college
Yup, well aware of that concern. I've done a lot of talking with my academic advisors to know that the medical schools in Texas and around the state of Texas take CC credits.

Reactions: 1 user