Is Vermont more of a backup?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,
So I am wondering what everyone's take on Univ. of Vermont is?
I applied there and I have the secondary done. However, is it considered more of a "backup" school?
I am thinking of just holding onto my $80 to see if I get in anywhere before sending it off.
Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Its all relative scoob, take a close look at the school, if you like it then go for it, if nothing really stands out, then save it for later.

You wouldn't want them to discriminate you for your numbers, so you shouldn't discriminate them for theirs.

ScoobyDoo....

I went to UVM for med school for two years but then withdrew due to family reasons, nothing to do with the school.....If you're ok w/living in a very small city/town, then Burlington is beautiful and UVM is a really small, close-knit "family" type environment. Overall, I highly recommend it... you'll get a top-notch education and its grads go on to some of the most prestigious residency programs. It's not that competitive an environment and the profs on the whole are pretty good (some outstanding, some suck)....

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't count on UVM being a cakewalk to get into just because of their stats. First of all, they take about half their class from VT. That leaves about 45 spots. They receive about 6000 apps cuz everyone looks at their numbers and thinks that they're a ****ty school. They're not, but they are rural, and it shows in their program.

Of those 6000 apps, most are from out of state. They only interview about 10% of out of staters. So even if you get an interview, you're still looking at about 600 people for 45 slots.

Have you ever been to VT? If not, my advice is to get as much info as possible about upstate VT before submitting your $80. You may decide that you wouldn't want to live there for 4 years.

*(By the way, I also applied to Vermont, how's their 2ndary?)

Secondary is cake...really simple.
I have been to Maine, New Hampshire, Massachussetts, etc etc...I loved Main and NH...So I think I would also like Vermont. Unfortunately, I mentioned in my practice vision something about working in an urban setting so I don't know if that would turn them off to me.

How does their rurality (is that a word??)
show in their program???????

Most of the patients are from rural areas and UVM is strong in rural medicine. I think they have electives with some hospitals in rural areas of Maine too, (not so sure about this though).

Maybe "shows up in their program" wasn't the best choice of words, but you get my gist.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Vermont. But, I'm a city-slicker and would be torn if it was the only school I got into and had to spend 4 years there. It may sound snobbish, but to call Burlington a "city" is a generous use of the term. ;)

They ask you to list the towns and cities and their populations. Isn't that enough to make you think that they are a total rural school?

Vermont is one of my top choices. I love the sound of their curriculum. And I love the outdoors way more than I love cities.

Scooby,

Vermont definitely is not a back-up school. It is a GREAT school that is very hard to get into if you're from out of state. Many people who go to other schools would have rather gone to UVM, but didn't get in. In fact, I got off the waitlist at UCSF before I got off the one from UVM (not that this says anything per se, but it is an interesting fact). Hope this helps,

Becky

I didn't see the population question. I thought it just asked where you lived and from what ages. Is that right or do they also want populations?

I will take Vermont any day! and I share SMW's enthusiasm for the outdoor. It goes with being a nature photographer.

I know this is kind of off-topic, but are there many native Spanish speakers in New England (Vermont, especially)? Thanks.

I'm from Mass and there is a pretty large Hispanic population here especially in cities like Boston, Lawrence, and Worcester. However, there are not many spanish speakers in the other New England States.If you seek to work with a Hispanic population, New England is not the best area of the country for it.

Interviewed twice...waitlisted the first time, and rejected immediately the second time...definitely not a cakewalk to get into UVM, especially if you're from California (although that's the case for my out-of-state schools).

Some of you may also recall my horror story regarding my first interview @UVM. It was about as much fun as a root canal.

-The SaucyAZN Sensation

p.s. - Despite my mishaps at UVM, I still think it's a good school.

Yo SaucyAZN,
Can you email me...i wanted to ask you a question...but you don't allow private messages...email me with your email address so I can email you back..thanks!

just another thing on the side. if you are going to apply to a school take it very serious and get your app in as early as possible, because holding onto it and getting it in later is only going to make it that much harder to get into that particular school.

being a second time applicant i would aslo like to let most people know that there aren't any "easy" schools to get into. i think that this applys to the majority of applicants.