Is volunteering and/or shadowing required to get into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is the difference between volunteering and shadowing?

When I look at dental school websites, they don't say anything about how volunteering and/or shadowing are required to get in. So is it necessary to do them?

Members don't see this ad.

When I look at dental school websites, they don't say anything about how volunteering and/or shadowing are required to get in. So is it necessary to do them?

Actually most school sites do mention shadowing. Usually you need anywhere between 30 to 100 hours of shadowing. Aim for 100 and you'll be good. Volunteering isn't required but will look good on your app, do something so you can say you volunteered. Either some community charity event, cancer walk or even a drive to raise money for cancer awareness.

You're actually accomplishing something during volunteering. During shadowing, you're literary just watching everything the dentist does.

Shadowing is required. Volunteering is essentially required (doesn't necessarily have to be in a dental setting) if you want to be competitive.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think the dental school websites mention anything about shadowing because it's implied through the required letter of recommendations (unless I'm looking in the wrong places). Most schools require 1 LOR from a dentist, so this will most likely come from a dentist you shadowed (or if you're lucky, a dentist you did research with).

I think ~100 hrs is a pretty good number for shadowing. As for volunteering, I'm pretty sure that would make you a more competitive applicant.

The difference? Shadowing: you're literally just watching the dentist do his/her job. You ask questions and if you're lucky, you get to touch equipment. :p
Volunteering: more hands on things and don't necessarily need to take place in a dental setting.

What about volunteering (chair side) in a dental clinic or dental office? If you do ~100 hours of that, do you think shadowing is still necessary?

Also curious if volunteering at a dental school clinic would suffice? My adviser said it would and I sort of see it as a half volunteering/half shadowing type thing. Idk, what do you guys think?

It doesn't. A dentist has to write you a LOR and if you volunteer at a dental school clinic... that would most likely be the dean of the clinic... but you havn't been shadowing him... you've been shadowing the students... so you end up shadowing but don't get the benefit of obtaining a LOR :(

I'm wondering how much emphasis is put on volunteering in a clinical setting. I know that it's a big deal for medical school admissions, but wasn't sure how essential it is over non-clinical volunteering for dental school admissions.