1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Is volunteering at a drug rehabilitation center...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by BrCo, May 14, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    MDApps:
    considered clinical or non-clinical service?

Thanks,
    brco

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ciestar

ciestar 2+ Year Member

Sep 18, 2013
    What do you do while you're there?

4. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Faculty
    What sorts of providers are employed there? What services are provided? Are the recovering addicts called "patients" or is some other term used?

5. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    MDApps:
    motivational speaking to families, collaborated with nearby detox centers to expand speaker presentations to underserved populations

6. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    MDApps:
    It is a free drug detoxification center. Addicts usually stay for roughly 30 days for the purpose of stabilizing. They are usually referred to as recovering addicts, but medical services are provided, as a majority experience withdrawal syndrome. Medical providers give appropriate medications, but this was not part of my role.

7. LizzyM

Mar 7, 2005
    Faculty
    OK, it wasn't clear whether this was residential or a day facility or even a methadone clinic where people come and go in a matter of minutes.

Given that those who are cared for there are receiving medications and are under the care of a physician (mid-level providers in most states have to be supervised by a physician), I'd call your service "volunteer, clinical".

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  8. BrCo

BrCo 2+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2012
    MDApps:
    Thank you Lizzy!

9. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero 5+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2012
    The Black
    Sounds non to me...she may have been a patient once she was in the hospital, but you were talking to her prior to that. You also weren't dealing with medical management or seeing physician-patient interactions.

10. LizzyM

Mar 7, 2005
    Faculty
    I'm beginning to feel that wearing a plastic ID band on the wrist might be the quick and dirty definition of "patient". Absent a wrist band, a medical record of the encounter (as in a doctor's office or clinic) would be evidence that a person is receiving clinical care.

11. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

The idea, which you've raised before, is growing on me, too. :thumbup: Maybe you could create another zingy catchphrase.

LizzyM likes this.