Is volunteering at one place enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vin5cent0

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This summer, I'm planning at volunteering at the Salvation Army Hospital. If you don't know, it's a hospital that serves people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford going to an established hospital.

I don't feel like applying part of my time there, part of my time somewhere else and so forth. I'd rather focus on one place and do a good job there as they've offered me some interesting volunteer work. Is it going to look poorly for me having only one volunteering aspect on my app of lets say.. 200 hours vs. 70 hours at three different places?

/neurotic pre-med question

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think volunteering in general is meant to give you exposure/experience about certain aspects of society that you would otherwise not have had the chance experience. So, if you do plan on volunteering at a hospital, i think "devoting" yourself to one hospital is fine... But i also think it would be very beneficial for you to volunteer at other organizations that will give you exposure to a different part of society... maybe a homeless shelter, red cross, or habitat for humanity. I volunteered at one hospital and several other organizations like habitat and a group that serves the working poor. Honestly, my interviewers seemed more interested in the work i did with the other organizations than the work i did in the hospital. It also gave me a lot of stories to talk about in my interviewers and with friends.. lastly, find something youre passionate about and volunteer with that group because ultimately your intention to volunteer should be to do something good for others, not just to get into medical school... interviewers can determine what your motives are by how passionately you talk about your experiences... hope that helps!

This summer, I'm planning at volunteering at the Salvation Army Hospital. If you don't know, it's a hospital that serves people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to afford going to an established hospital.

I don't feel like applying part of my time there, part of my time somewhere else and so forth. I'd rather focus on one place and do a good job there as they've offered me some interesting volunteer work. Is it going to look poorly for me having only one volunteering aspect on my app of lets say.. 200 hours vs. 70 hours at three different places?

/neurotic pre-med question

Thanks

While everything seems to vary by school, my personal experience was that your hours need to be from more than one location. I've been waitlisted at my state school, and I called the admissions office to get feedback on what I could improve in my application. They specifically commented that although I had a "good amount" of volunteer hours, they were "limited" because they occured all at the same location. I had done probably 125 hours at an ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools like to see volunteering spread out over time more than bunched up in a single burst...200 hours obtained at the rate of 2 hours a week for 2 years is considered preferable to 200 hours obtained in a month or two...

I also think that volunteering at a variety of places is a good thing. I have done gigs at a hospital and a free clinic - can't get much more variety than that...

Finally, when are you applying? If this cycle, your summer volunteering will not appear on your primary app...they expect you to do all of your volunteering prior to submitting the app...

Well that answered it perfectly, thanks. I've done a few gigs at other places, so I might as well return to them in addition to the main one I was going to go with.

I'm not applying this cycle. I actually have about 2 years to go before I graduate IF I take +/- 2 courses each summer. I switched majors a tad late (2nd sem of soph year), but luckily most had only been doing major-specific courses for a semester when I switched as the first year had just been generals.

It's fine to spend one summer volunteering at one place. However, your next stint in volunteer work should be done somewhere different.

For instance, I volunteered one summer at the Rape Crisis Center in my community, that following fall I volunteered with the Suicide Prevention Hotline for 2 months, during Spring Break I opted for a non-traditional break and helped rebuild a school in New Orleans, and the next summer I spent at the Free Health Clinic in my town. Each year I shoot for at least 4 different volunteering opportunities. Some are longer than others, but they are all different and all rewarding.

It seems like Medical Schools are looking for diversity in all aspects of an application.