Is WCUCOM that bad of an osteopathic medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prince_Avocado

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am extremely thankful for getting accepted into medical school this cycle and I am very excited to start medical school next year! So far, I have only had one interview and one acceptance to osteopathic medical school (WCUCOM) and the deposit for my seat is due very soon. I am aware that WCUCOM isn't the best, but is it actually that bad?

Kaplan considers WCUCOM one of the best osteopathic medical schools, along with MSUCOM, KYCOM, and other well known medical schools. Link to the article below:

I find Kaplan's ranking quite contradicting as I have browsed through a few forums in SDN and have found mostly a negative reception of this medical school regarding the attrition rate. However, I have talked to individuals currently at this medical school, and they basically told me that WCUCOM did have severe issues in the past, but things have gotten a lot better since the introduction of the new dean last year. They even had a student match into dermatology for the first time this year, which I know is a really competitive specialty. I genuinely did like the medical school a lot, but I want to know as much as possible about WCUCOM before I pay the deposit for my seat. Can somebody please provide additional input about this medical school? I would greatly appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Ignore anything Kaplan says. The fact they include WCUCOM and KYCOM on their list is evidence enough they are likely just highlighting which schools buy their products the most.

From what I've seen of the few WCU students I've met..... yes the school is terrible. Maybe I've just met their poorer students, but their clinical skills and knowledge were severely lacking.

They also had someone match Neurosurgery at U Mississippi... one or two good matches don't tell you anything about the school, they are more a reflection on those students for putting together that kind of app at such a poor place.

If it's your only acceptance then you don't really have a choice, go and make the most of it. Be very proactive with your education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone!

I am extremely thankful for getting accepted into medical school this cycle and I am very excited to start medical school next year! So far, I have only had one interview and one acceptance to osteopathic medical school (WCUCOM) and the deposit for my seat is due very soon. I am aware that WCUCOM isn't the best, but is it actually that bad?

Kaplan considers WCUCOM one of the best osteopathic medical schools, along with MSUCOM, KYCOM, and other well known medical schools. Link to the article below:

I find Kaplan's ranking quite contradicting as I have browsed through a few forums in SDN and have found mostly a negative reception of this medical school regarding the attrition rate. However, I have talked to individuals currently at this medical school, and they basically told me that WCUCOM did have severe issues in the past, but things have gotten a lot better since the introduction of the new dean last year. They even had a student match into dermatology for the first time this year, which I know is a really competitive specialty. I genuinely did like the medical school a lot, but I want to know as much as possible about WCUCOM before I pay the deposit for my seat. Can somebody please provide additional input about this medical school? I would greatly appreciate it!

Your stats aren't really competitive except for new DO schools, either you take this acceptance since it is your only one so far or try to retake the MCAT to be more competitive for more established DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone!

If you would like to know more about the school I suggest using the school specific subforum. Otherwise, if you're asking whether or not to pay to reserve your seat at your only acceptance, well, it's your only acceptance. You don't get the freedom of choosing med schools like some applicants, so unless you want to wait a year it's probably in your best interest to pay for your seat and be grateful that a medical school accepted you, even if it does have a poor reputation

Hard to say WCUCOM is good when they have not updated their match stats since 2018 and not updated their COMLEX 1 stats since 2017.
That was one of the main things that concerned me! It probably isn't a good sign, but I'll make the best of it if I end up attending WCUCOM. I got another interview invite for BCOM a few days ago though, so I possibly have another option besides WCUCOM if I get accepted!

Ignore anything Kaplan says. The fact they include WCUCOM and KYCOM on their list is evidence enough they are likely just highlighting which schools buy their products the most.

From what I've seen of the few WCU students I've met..... yes the school is terrible. Maybe I've just met their poorer students, but their clinical skills and knowledge were severely lacking.

They also had someone match Neurosurgery at U Mississippi... one or two good matches don't tell you anything about the school, they are more a reflection on those students for putting together that kind of app at such a poor place.

If it's your only acceptance then you don't really have a choice, go and make the most of it. Be very proactive with your education.
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it! That makes sense, I just wanted to verify my concerns I have with the school. I'll make the best of it if I end up attending WCUCOM. I got another interview invite for BCOM a few days ago though, so I possibly have another option besides WCUCOM if I get accepted there!

Your stats aren't really competitive except for new DO schools, either you take this acceptance since it is your only one so far or try to retake the MCAT to be more competitive for more established DO schools.
Thank you for your input! I am aware of the position I am in, and I will most likely take the acceptance. I got another interview invite for BCOM a few days ago though, so I possibly have another option besides WCUCOM if I get accepted there!

If you would like to know more about the school I suggest using the school specific subforum. Otherwise, if you're asking whether or not to pay to reserve your seat at your only acceptance, well, it's your only acceptance. You don't get the freedom of choosing med schools like some applicants, so unless you want to wait a year it's probably in your best interest to pay for your seat and be grateful that a medical school accepted you, even if it does have a poor reputation
Thank you for your input! I did check the school specific subforum, but there wasn't too much information regarding WCUCOM. It was mostly individuals discussing how the interview went and the environment of the school. I just paid the deposit for WCUCOM since its my only acceptance, but I got another interview invite for BCOM a few days ago though, so I possibly have another option besides WCUCOM if I get accepted there!

Nah, that’s not true... Their GPA could use a small bump with some post-bac work but the MCAT spectrum for DO schools is large. Even for established schools... Hell, even GPAs have a massive spectrum.

Thank you for your input! I did check the school specific subforum, but there wasn't too much information regarding WCUCOM. It was mostly individuals discussing how the interview went and the environment of the school. I just paid the deposit for WCUCOM since its my only acceptance, but I got another interview invite for BCOM a few days ago though, so I possibly have another option besides WCUCOM if I get accepted there!
good decision and good luck on your interview